PDA

View Full Version : Commercial work

Terri_Nichols
09-29-2007, 01:31 AM
I've been a commercial photographer for the last 2 1/2 years, but I miss having my own studio! I have a large collection of commercial images, but I don't know how many different styles of leather jackets would be allowed in the print portion.

Because of the style my employer requires, the images are very repetitive - same basic photograph/"pose", just a different jacket or vest. (Eek!! I just realized I'm a Wa*-M**t leather photographer!! Maybe that's why I'm so bored...)

I'm getting back into portraiture, but I don't know how long that might take. Should I take the exam then worry about the image portion when I pass and hope by then things have evened out? I've done one wedding and half a dozen portraits over the last 2 years to give you an idea.

Next question -- when is there another pre-certification class on the East Coast? (Preferably in mid-Atlantic states)?

Thanks for your help

Liz_Vance
09-29-2007, 02:39 AM
I did the exam first and the prints second. I didn't know how well I'd do on the exam, and figured if I failed it, then I'd try again. But I knew, when I took the exam, that I wasn't completely ready to submit prints. And this gave me quite a while to improve before I hit the deadline.

Terri_Nichols
09-29-2007, 03:10 AM
Liz, did you already have a client base before you took the exam? I have people 'trickling' in now and then, but most from 'before' I closed my studio in 2000. Since I'm now working a full-time job, I worry that I won't have enough sessions to gather 20 images together.

Terri_Nichols
09-29-2007, 05:56 AM
"Twenty (20) photographic accomplishments are required. They must be from twenty different job assignments completed within the last 24 month’s. No two assignments entered may be of the same subject."

Since the images have to represent the work I do, 99% would be commercial. How can I take that from 20 different job assignments when I have one on-going job (employer), or is each individual item considered a different job? I would only be able to submit at most 2 portrait and 1 wedding to keep the correct representation. And, since I have to keep my 'day job' at least until my studio stands alone, I don't see how I can attempt certification.

Or am I making too much of this? Should I concentrate on building the clientèle and portfolio, and just go with the flow?

D._Craig_Flory
09-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Next question -- when is there another pre-certification class on the East Coast? (Preferably in mid-Atlantic states)?

Thanks for your help[/QUOTE]

Hi Terry;

A friend of mine gives a certification class ... Al DiCampli. Here is his web site. Scroll down to C.P.P. classes.

Terri_Nichols
09-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi Terry;

A friend of mine gives a certification class ... Al DiCampli. Here is his web site. Scroll down to C.P.P. classes.

Umm... I don't see a link to a web site...? I googled him, though
http://www.adcphotography.com/

Thanks!
terri:)

D._Craig_Flory
09-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Umm... I don't see a link to a web site...? I googled him, though
http://www.adcphotography.com/

Thanks!
terri:)

Hi Terry;

I wrote that quickly and went right back to post processing family groups. It was a senior moment ... I'm glad you found him ok.

Stephanie_Millner
09-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey Terri. Where's Galax? I'm about to start studying for the exam as well. I'm in Alexandria.

Terri_Nichols
09-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi, Stephanie...

I'm in southwestern Virginia - practically in North Carolina and a couple hours east of Tennessee. I wish we were closer - I need a 'study buddy'.

Terri

Stephanie_Millner
09-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Oh, darn. Oh well!