PDA

View Full Version : Pa. 8X10 Competition ....

D._Craig_Flory
09-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi group;

I was just going to send these to my friend Karen Linsley. She asked me to post them for everyone so here are the 1st two. The only one I feel strongly about will be in my 2nd post. Also, all 4 titles were temporary ... just to give me something to call them for now. So, any title ideas ?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/WoodsConcert.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DownTheRoadofLife.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
09-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi group;

Here are the other two. The one I'm crossing my fingers on is the bridge sunset. I did that handheld on a Riverboat cruise on the Susquehanna River in June at our last Pa. state meeting.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TuningUp.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/RiverboatVisualTreat.jpg

Jeff_Dachowski
09-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Craig,
I would say that you proximity to three mile island has manifested itself in a large community of left handed guitarists.

Jeff

Jane_Lydick_Staid
09-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Hahahahaha

Karen_Linsley
09-23-2007, 04:22 AM
Hi Craig;

I ike your bridge sunset but I notice a bit of lens flare in the bridge support that would be easily removable. I also notice a lot of lens flare in the bride and groom photo.

The boy playing guitar in the woods is nice, but I'm wanting some sort of cool action for it, I took the liberty of running a Kevin Kubota Lord of the Rings II on it, and put a vignette around it. It's not exactly what I was looking for...but I think you get the idea.

DianeDavis
09-23-2007, 04:30 AM
Nice feel on all of them- Congrats on entering and Good Luck!

Sherry_Piche
09-30-2007, 03:29 AM
Hi Craig,

I love the sunset image. It begs for me to be there.

The focal point is a given and it is awesome but the key line keeps my eye focusing on it rather than that beautiful sunset. Try
making the key line with one of the minor colors of your background.

Love the image.

Where did you take this shot? I want to go there.

Sherry

Will_Price
09-30-2007, 04:32 AM
You will do fine, I really like the BW girl playing the guitar.

Dave_Cisco
09-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Hi Craig;

I ike your bridge sunset but I notice a bit of lens flare in the bridge support that would be easily removable. I also notice a lot of lens flare in the bride and groom photo.

The boy playing guitar in the woods is nice, but I'm wanting some sort of cool action for it, I took the liberty of running a Kevin Kubota Lord of the Rings II on it, and put a vignette around it. It's not exactly what I was looking for...but I think you get the idea.

Every time I hear/see Kevin's name, I visualize a gaggle of photographers who, without him, would be sitting on their thumbs wondering what to do next.
I sometimes think most competitions would be unattended if Kubota stopped delivery on his actions.:eek:

Try something original....

Don_Chick
09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Every time I hear/see Kevin's name, I visualize a gaggle of photographers who, without him, would be sitting on their thumbs wondering what to do next.

And wondering where to spend their hard earned money on the next magic pill.

D._Craig_Flory
10-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Hi Craig,

I love the sunset image. It begs for me to be there.

The focal point is a given and it is awesome but the key line keeps my eye focusing on it rather than that beautiful sunset. Try
making the key line with one of the minor colors of your background.

Love the image.

Where did you take this shot? I want to go there.

Sherry

Hi Sherry;

That was done from the deck of the "Pride of the Susquehanna" Riverboat on the Susquehanna River flowing past state capitol of Pa. Harrisburg. That was a Sunday evening when we had our June 2007 state meeting.

Ok group ... the 8x10 competition was today. They only gave out best of class ribbons. I won Best of Class for Portraits with the black & white of the senior girl !!! There were 3 judges (all Master / Craftsman) and it came down to my image and another but they picked mine. Thanks for all the support.

Will_Price
10-01-2007, 01:48 AM
I knew you could do it! Congratulations, you are well deserving of the ribbon, especially of that pose (it is my favorite as mentioned before)

Dan_Leary
10-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Cool! Maybe you and Will can start a club! Don't forget us little people...

Seriously, congrats DC... good to see someone that is always willing to help others score one for themselves.

Will_Price
10-01-2007, 02:36 AM
I'm sorry, do I know you???;)

Sherry_Piche
10-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Congratulations! It's such a great feeling isn't it!

D._Craig_Flory
10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Sherry;

I think I got more satisfaction from winning Best in Portraits, in this 8x10 competition, than on all of the 16x20 blue ribbons I've won over the years in our annual competitions. The only thing that felt as good was when I had a portrait of a senior girl in the Pa. Court of Honor in 2005. So, yes, it's a great feeling.

Linda_Gregory
10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Congratulations, D. Craig! One of my goals is to get a merit print from a portrait. Since I've not really been a portrait photographer, it's going to be a big stretch for me. :) Nice example of what I need to work toward!

Did you get critique for moving to the next level on all your entries?

D._Craig_Flory
10-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Congratulations, D. Craig! One of my goals is to get a merit print from a portrait. Since I've not really been a portrait photographer, it's going to be a big stretch for me. :) Nice example of what I need to work toward!

Did you get critique for moving to the next level on all your entries?

Hi Linda;

I had some critique given by several state Masters. All liked the one I just won with and asked if I would be entering it in as a 20X16.

The cool thing is the change in our state meetings. Up until now, our annual convention, with the 16X20 print competition for ribbons & trophies, has been in April. We have the 8x10 competition in October. Well, in 2008 they switch. We will have a two day meeting in April and the annual convention in October. So I will be able to once again enter 8x10's in April thereby allowing me to "test" some images as potentials for the annual competition.

Linda_Gregory
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
D. Craig,

Ours is set up for what I call pre-comp in January, February so we can get set for the regional affiliated judging in April and then get feedback on the non-merited images for nationals. It's a three step process that's worked for me!

At each level, I grab at least one master/juror and take them around giving me in depth critique on my entries.

The Bavarian Chapel one was a difficult one as one judge said it'd never go, the other said it would for the same reason the other said it wouldn't. GAAA! It's merited and on my video critique from nationals, the judge giving the critique was in on the conversations when it was brought up for possible loan. He gave all the details about their thoughts and the issue the one judge didn't like about it wasn't even mentioned. go figure!

Congratulations, again!

D._Craig_Flory
10-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Linda;

You never know what a panel will like. When I worked on the Pa. print committee we would see images that went to National 1st and then were entered in state. So, we would know the scores from PPA. (back when scores were still used and before thumbs up and thumbs down) Images that were not only merit images, or even loan collection, would only get a score in the high 70's. On the other extreme, we would know of images that scored high in Pa. that didn't merit at PPA. So you never know !!!