PDA

View Full Version : First time entering.

Will_Price
09-16-2007, 09:12 PM
These are a few I would possibly like to enter. Feedback asap would be great. We, spouse and I, are entering for the first time.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/16x20quinceaweb.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/16x20babyweb.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/16x204948ovalweb.jpg

Will_Price
09-16-2007, 09:26 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/web3629.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/web-5.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
09-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi Will;

I love the 1st image and think it could do well with changes. You have her positioned totally wrong. I cropped quite a bit and moved her so she is on the 3rd quadrant.

There are still some issues where you will need to tone down some areas that are too bright. I'm sure others will point out where. I hope this helps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/16x20quinceawebEnhanced.jpg

Will_Price
09-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks for that D Craig...any other thought, anybody??

Dan_Leary
09-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for that D Craig...any other thought, anybody??

Yeah..... DANG IT! But that's just me....;)

Dan_Leary
09-16-2007, 11:49 PM
On a serious note now...
I don't really feel qualified to critique these for competition, hopefully Keith Howe will stop in and do those honors. I will share my personal experiences with you tho. First of all, I love the lady in the red dress. I think it will do well. I also love the baby BUT I got *crucified* for selective color. You image is well done, but I think their is too much selective color. Everything else, I like, but again I'll let others do their thing as far as that goes.
Glad to see you're going to enter!

Stewart_Schulze
09-17-2007, 01:30 AM
1st the girl in red i would definite change the crop also a separation light would have helped (maybe right in the middle of the pond HA HA)
2nd the little girl is a fun image and well done but for comp i am not sure that it would merit.
the bride and the little girls you might want to try a tight crop but one of the main problems is the low key, high key.

Stacey_West
09-17-2007, 04:06 AM
Congratulations on entering print comp. I think you have a shot with the first image. I think I'd try to PS out the guys in the background and, as D. Craig suggests, tone down some of the image. ( I also like his crop.) The bright white light near the tree in front of her face really competes with her. Is it possible to knock this down some? The light is pretty on her face but her forehead looks pretty hot.

I think all of them are nice but I think the first one has the best chance at an 80.

Good luck.

StaceyDamon
09-17-2007, 12:31 PM
WILL, I haven't even looked at the images yet (on dial-up and they haven't all come up yet, lol) MY mouth dropped when I saw this thread! I can't believe YOU have never entered before!!! You do such nice work!

Will_Price
09-17-2007, 01:37 PM
It has never really interested me much, I go for the green merits from Mom's. Thanks to everyone for the help,I will let you know how it turns out. It is really hard sifting through thousands of files to find anything worthy, the only thing I have ever captured FOR comp. was the indian, I asked him to sit for just that purpose, everything else was just for clients.

D._Craig_Flory
09-17-2007, 01:58 PM
It has never really interested me much, I go for the green merits from Mom's. Thanks to everyone for the help,I will let you know how it turns out. It is really hard sifting through thousands of files to find anything worthy, the only thing I have ever captured FOR comp. was the indian, I asked him to sit for just that purpose, everything else was just for clients.

Hi Will;

You have plenty of excellent photographers to get feedback from in your state. You also have the Triangle Photographers Association, in Pittsburgh, with many more to draw from. But one guy I think you should ask is Keith Lewis. I know everyone in your state association knows him. He is an affiliated juror so he could give you great feedback. Just make sure he is not judging where you are thinking of entering.

Will_Price
09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Good ideas, thanks. I am just throwing my hat in the ring for the fun of it, I really hate to bother anyone for help unless it is critical. I will get serious soon and then watch out!;)

Dan_Leary
09-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Will,
You've posted things in the past that I thought would do well... one that comes to mind is a bride in front of a big luxurious window. It reminded me of Hanson Fong. I don't know how it would do, but it might be worth posting and asking for opinions.... it really sticks out in my mind.

Will_Price
09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey thanks for the idea! I have already sent out the order to PPS already, but I will probably do it for Spring. Will you be there this weekend? I have a wedding on Saturday and need to "plant" a ringer guest during the ceremony to get ther bride coming down the aisle...come on down and I will put you up in a hotel and buy you dinner, how do you like McDonalds? just kidding, I would AT LEAST take you to Wendy's.;) Nice pic in the Sunday paper BTW (Gareeb)

Jane_Ann_Long
09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Will...

I like the little girl best, although, I know some here are not that fond of selective color I think it works well with this image.

You are very talented and sweet!

Dan_Leary
09-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Oh yeah, we'll be there but not until Sunday. I'm riding with Joe and he won't leave until after the WVU at the earliest. I wish I could make it down tho... I'd love to help you out!

Will_Price
09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
HAHA I just realized the image in question isn't even on the print comp thread because i wasnt't going to enter it....sorry for the tease! Here it is.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/4x5-1.jpg

Mark_Levesque
09-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice job, Mr Trick Question. :)

Wil_Bloodworth
10-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I am new to photo judging... so excuse this very ignorant question. Why are all the entry photos placed in these odd-sized and colored 'frames' with so much space all around? Aren't the photos supposed to be judged for themselves and not the placement?

Thank you,

- Wil

D._Craig_Flory
10-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi Wil;

Look up the Rule of Thirds and also Composition on the internet and then check back in here. Even though there is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quadrant in composition ... the 3rd and 4th quadrants work best in competition because our eyes enter the presentation from the left so you don't want your center of interest on the left side. And, you certainly don't want the subject smack dab in the center. (unless crash point symetry and even then it's best to be lower than center)

I also suggest that you invest in some PPA General Collection & Loan Collection books to see what works.

Wil_Bloodworth
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. I know what the Rule of Thirds and Composition are. I'm new to print competitions; not new to photography. I just find it unusual to be able to "place" the image on a background to enhance its presentation/composition. I thought the point was to judge the photo and not the, for lack of a better term, medium that it is layin on.

Thanks.

- Wil

D._Craig_Flory
10-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi Wil;

It is called "playing the game". You do whatever you can to enhance the presentation so hopefully the judges will like the image. It all comes back to the "Dirty Dozen' of print competition ... trying to meet as many of the twelve as possible. Sometimes the only way to have the main subject(s) end up at one of the quadrants, or to fit in the Bakker Saddle, is to use a step mount.

If you can produce images full bleed without a step mount ... go for it.

Keith_A_Howe
10-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. I know what the Rule of Thirds and Composition are. I'm new to print competitions; not new to photography. I just find it unusual to be able to "place" the image on a background to enhance its presentation/composition. I thought the point was to judge the photo and not the, for lack of a better term, medium that it is layin on.

Thanks.

- Wil

Wil
The image is judged on many things. Impact is the most important element but presentation effects the overall impact. Imagine a beautiful portrait presented in the wrong frame ( "medium that it is laying on") or hung at the wrong spot in the room ( ""place in the image on the background to enhance the presentation/composition"). It's the same thing with print competition. the presentation effects the impact of the image. A great presentation will not save a poor print, but a poor presentation will hurt an otherwise good image. If a restaurant has great food but it is severed on unattractive plates, it effects your impression of the food. Jewelry stores don't display diamonds on white felt. they show them off to their greatest advantage on black velvet. The diamond quality is the same no matter how it is displayed but the presentation lifts the value in the eyes of the viewer.
As a judge I try to not let a bad presentation have a strong negative impact but if the image is on the edge of a category ( i.e. high in the "above average" or low in the "deserving of a merit") it will be a deciding factor that will place it in the lower category. Presentation is not the most important element but it is an element that the maker has control of. If you can control it, why not use it to enhance your image.
Keith