PDA

View Full Version : Degree Awarding

Marc_Benjamin
09-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if there's a difference between getting the degree as a M. Photog or Craftsman individually vs getting a combined Master Craftsman in one awarding. Aside from saving the application fee or is that a myth.

Anyways, I'm on track to get all the merits for my Craftsman before the deadline for the apps this year and am thinking to apply for it. On the other hand, if I'm fortunate enough, I might make M.photog next year.

Should I just wait?

Dave_Cisco
09-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Anyways, I'm on track to get all the merits for my Craftsman before the deadline for the apps this year and am thinking to apply for it. On the other hand, if I'm fortunate enough, I might make M.photog next year.

Should I just wait?

No.....:D
If you're not fortunate enough, you've gone naked a year longer than necessary. Interesting things start happening as you start hanging metal around your neck...opportunities come up that wouldn't otherwise.:)

Marc_Benjamin
09-08-2007, 03:55 AM
No.....:D If you're not fortunate enough, you've gone naked a year longer than necessary. Interesting things start happening as you start hanging metal around your neck...opportunities come up that wouldn't otherwise.:)

Hey Dave, is it true that the ribbons are total chick magnets? I thought the CCP pins were, but no dice!

Dave_Cisco
09-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Hey Dave, is it true that the ribbons are total chick magnets? I thought the CCP pins were, but no dice!

Why would you want to attract small eatable birds?:D

Michael_Gan
09-08-2007, 04:27 AM
With little metal plates stuck to their butts as well...:D

Marc, there is no app fee for your degree. You've paid enough for your degrees. If you want one medallion at a time, that is a great way to have to go to national year after year. I think that's how PPA gets us going to these things every year.

The only difference in getting your Master Craftsman is that you get to go first in a smaller group. I think Don Chick got both degrees at the same time, so he would know better. We are about to find out this January, but like I said, I think that's how they do it.

Then they award to the Masters. This is going to be a cattle call this year because there's a ton of members who've had the merits but refused to get their CPP. There's a couple I know of and I'm anticipating that they will be in Leslie's, and perhaps yours, "graduating class".

The thing I loved about my degreed year is that our group were the "half year" class, so there were only 20 of us getting our Masters. I remember Jacqualine Hicks standing in front of me and the both of us were acting like a couple of excited school kids. I will never forget that!

In fact, the fun thing about that year is that I remember alot of the degree recipients, Jason Smith got his MEI and was standing in front of Hicks, and Mike Scott was right behind me with Jessica Voegle. That was a fun evening, totally unforgetable!

Kathryn_Northcott
09-08-2007, 04:56 AM
I got both of mine at the same time back in 2000. You can get it over right away if you do it that way, not have to stand in line forever.

I haven't noticed that the ribbon is a chick magnet - but then, I sure hope not, but a STUD magnet - that would be a whole different story!! :)

Marc_Benjamin
09-08-2007, 05:04 AM
The thing I loved about my degreed year is that our group were the "half year" class, so there were only 20 of us getting our Masters. I remember Jacqualine Hicks standing in front of me and the both of us were acting like a couple of excited school kids. I will never forget that! That was a fun evening, totally unforgetable!

I was a student usher during graduation/awards at the New Orleans convention and I remember helping you and Leslie off stage after you got your ribbon.

"This is going to be a cattle call this year because there's a ton of members who've had the merits but refused to get their CPP"

Last time I spoke to Mary C. from Vacaville she was thinking if she's gonna go to Tampa for her Masters (she did not care for the CPP req). I hope we see her there.

D._Craig_Flory
09-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Marc;

I'm sitting here cooling, and drying, off after getting back from the outdoors on location portion of a senior portrait session.

One advantage of not waiting ... as I got close to getting my Craftsman Degree the fees pro associations offered to pay me went up. So if you keep teaching your fees should go up after you get the dangly around your neck.

A word of caution. As you get more danglies, you may experience a stiff neck from all of the weight. You may want to buy a bracket to help hold them all up. (and especially as you add bars) My biggest problem, with 3 medalions around my neck, is keeping them out of food and soup. :p

Debra_Warner
09-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi Marc;

I'm sitting here cooling, and drying, off after getting back from the outdoors on location portion of a senior portrait session.

One advantage of not waiting ... as I got close to getting my Craftsman Degree the fees pro associations offered to pay me went up. So if you keep teaching your fees should go up after you get the dangly around your neck.

A word of caution. As you get more danglies, you may experience a stiff neck from all of the weight. You may want to buy a bracket to help hold them all up. (and especially as you add bars) My biggest problem, with 3 medalions around my neck, is keeping them out of food and soup. :p

Craig, if you can't learn to wear the "bling, bling" without all that trouble, I'll wear them for you. :D

D._Craig_Flory
09-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Craig, if you can't learn to wear the "bling, bling" without all that trouble, I'll wear them for you. :D

Hi Debra;

Ok ... I'll rent you my Pa. State Service Degree for $100.00 a month. My Pa. C.P.P. Commission Medalion will be $150.00 a month. And my Craftsman Degree will be $250.00 a month. :D

Debra_Warner
09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Debra;

Ok ... I'll rent you my Pa. State Service Degree for $100.00 a month. My Pa. C.P.P. Commission Medalion will be $150.00 a month. And my Craftsman Degree will be $250.00 a month. :D

That's about what I pay to rent my studio every month!! *sigh*, I was trying to help you out, but I guess you'll just have to wear your chicken noodle soup medalions all by yourself. ;)

Michael_Gan
09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
I was a student usher during graduation/awards at the New Orleans convention and I remember helping you and Leslie off stage after you got your ribbon.

That's right! You were the person that treated us like a couple of old farts :D

Last time I spoke to Mary C. from Vacaville she was thinking if she's gonna go to Tampa for her Masters (she did not care for the CPP req). I hope we see her there.
That would be fun! She photographed my first wedding back in 1978! Haven't seen her in years! Dave Harris will finally get his as well.

Don_Chick
09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I think Don Chick got both degrees at the same time, so he would know better.

There is no advantage to getting them the same year except that you don't have to pay travel and lodging for 2 conventions. They do award dual degree folks before single degrees.... Other than that, can't think of anything.....

They didn't reduce my dues at all, didn't give me a bigger parking space for my car.... That's about it!

Michael_Gan
09-14-2007, 07:01 AM
....But it is a "Chick" magnet! :D :D