PDA

View Full Version : Here's how to hose a comp print ...

JohnHeckler
09-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Ok, here is how to hose a perfectly good competition print ... mixed keys with with blanket, blown out lower left corner, lack of separation where mom's shirt meets background.

My kicker was present, just on the wrong side for this pose ... doh! Blanket was a quick grab to keep the little one warm after a feeding and was going to pull it out, but dang it, the best pose from both the little one and the mom had to come at this time. :-(

*sigh*

http://www.jthphotography.com/host-images/JTH_3134ed6x9-72dpi.jpg

Lori_Clapp
09-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Who cares if it does well in competition?!?! I would kill for an image like that of me with my kids. Unfortunately it's too late - they are 15 and 16 and are nowhere near that cute!!

Andrea_Chapelo
09-06-2007, 12:20 PM
I second Lori on this...It is a great print and the Mom will be thrilled.

JohnHeckler
09-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks Lori/Andrea ... "Green" merits will have to due, which is just fine too. :cool:

PS Looking forward to meeting you guys! :D

Andrea_Chapelo
09-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes, those green merits work just fine:D ( says me who has never entered a thing:o )

I am looking forward to meeting you as well...pretty sad it takes Lori coming in from Wisconsin to organize this meeting of two people who are 15 minutes apart LOL!

Michael_Gan
09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Between you and Dachowski...is this a new trend in reverse Psychology? :D

JohnHeckler
09-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Between you and Dachowski...is this a new trend in reverse Psychology? :D

I just wanted to share the simple fact that I seem to continuously have sessions in which I feel stoked about only to get the images on screen and be completely depressed because I hosed up some details one way or another ... the details that continue to keep me from the next level. And when I think I've learned my lesson, a week later I go out and do it again! DOH!

Misery loves company, so I want others to post and show me their versions of "close, but please try again" :rolleyes: :p

Mark_Levesque
09-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I've got a portfolio full of those! I totally relate to that sinking feeling when you see the details that you screwed up on the screen. "If only I..." is far and away the most common feeling I have as a photographer. I keep hoping to get that I nailed it" feeling, like when you lace one with the driver off the tee so square that it hardly feels like you hit anything at all; and then you look and see the ball landing WAY down the fairway. Haven't gotten that yet.

Dave_Cisco
09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I just wanted to share the simple fact that I seem to continuously have sessions in which I feel stoked about only to get the images on screen and be completely depressed because I hosed up some details one way or another ... the details that continue to keep me from the next level. And when I think I've learned my lesson, a week later I go out and do it again! DOH!

Misery loves company, so I want others to post and show me their versions of "close, but please try again" :rolleyes: :p

...but at least you know what is hurting you. Most photogs don't have a clue.:D

Scott_Painter
09-06-2007, 04:08 PM
The judge said afterwards nobody with that much muscle should smile that much. That the way he was holding her looked like he could crush her. Moms finger had too much of a hot spot. Other problems were not enough contrast I added more for the internet, but now there is no detail in moms hair. How do you balance that. And moms fingers were resting on dads (not husbands - they're shackups) shoulder which I removed for internet. Would these be enough changes to make this pose merit?

http://www.betterimagephoto.com/new/strong.jpg

Dave_Cisco
09-06-2007, 04:31 PM
The judge said afterwards nobody with that much muscle should smile that much.(disagree) That the way he was holding her looked like he could crush her.(disagree) Moms finger had too much of a hot spot.(Agree) Other problems were not enough contrast I added more for the internet, but now there is no detail in moms hair. How do you balance that. And moms fingers were resting on dads (not husbands - they're shackups) shoulder which I removed for internet. Would these be enough changes to make this pose merit?

Stringy hair on mom's chest is bothersome.
I would expect this image to merit if printed for competition lights.

Mark_Levesque
09-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Other problems were not enough contrast I added more for the internet, but now there is no detail in moms hair. How do you balance that.
Layer masks. Add the contrast using curves or levels, and use a soft black brush at low opacity to mask that adjustment from her hair.

Lori_Clapp
09-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, those green merits work just fine:D ( says me who has never entered a thing:o )

I am looking forward to meeting you as well...pretty sad it takes Lori coming in from Wisconsin to organize this meeting of two people who are 15 minutes apart LOL!

Wisconsin? Nope - I'm coming from WYOMING to get John to your studio!

Andrea_Chapelo
09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Lori...HEHE...That is what I meant....I apparently need to make sure I have had both cups of coffee berfore I type....

Don_Chick
09-06-2007, 06:21 PM
The judge said afterwards nobody with that much muscle should smile that much.

That's crazy.... Had the judge ever had a baby of their own? I have no problem with the smile(s), it's about the new baby and the relationship not the muscles.... I would vignette a bit around his tatoo's. To me they compete with the baby for your eye.

Don_Chick
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately it's too late - they are 15 and 16 and are nowhere near that cute!!

Lori,

Why don't you adopt another.... Then you can have pix taken.. And get a cute one this time :eek: :D

Lori_Clapp
09-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Lori,

Why don't you adopt another.... Then you can have pix taken.. And get a cute one this time :eek: :D

Bahahahahahahaha.....NO ONE with two teenages would EVER consider adopting another one.....hahahahahahha

Marc_Benjamin
09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Would these be enough changes to make this pose merit?

Hey Scott,

The thing is there's a whole bunch of these naked infant w/ family portraits out there already so most judges are just looking for absolute technical perfection or something different.

I think it might be best to invite the couple again and do it over. You need a kicker behind mom and dad. That will get you separation and definition on her hair. Also, Dad head tilt would look better as a profile and he could do with handling the baby a little gentler.

As a reminder, check out how the Simones, Waldens and perhaps Jennifer Walker do these.

Good luck!

Michael_Gan
09-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Here's the poser of Print Competition. All of you are starting to create your clients images as if it were for print competition! What a glorious win for your clients!

You guys get it, you actually get it :)

D._Craig_Flory
09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi Scott;

If you re-do this session, maybe you can try wrapping sheer black material around them so those tatoos get covered up. I'm sure they love seeingn them but it's a big draw away from the faces.

Here is a version I hope helps you see some alternatives, especially in presentation. I did some extreme softening where black material could cover up.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/StrongEnhanced.jpg