PDA

View Full Version : Approved Print Cases

Adrian_Ziemkowski
09-03-2007, 12:22 AM
So my print case came back from the international competition with a note saying that it was not an approved case, and that starting next year, unapproved cases will not be returned.

This made me VERY upset.

Why? Because of the PITA it was to find an acceptable print case, which I thought I had found.

1) Nowhere could I find an official list of makes/models from PPA (which makes it feel arbitrary and discriminatory), and nobody in this forum could point to an official list.
2) What makes/models people suggested in this forum (suggested from experience and not official lists), were all marked as back ordered by the vendors when I was looking.
3) So I did my best, and paid way too much for a case (just for this competition) based on the descriptions of acceptable cases on this forum.

So, if PPA is really going to be so picky, they need to provide an official list of brands and models with the official rules PDF. If they don't feel that is fair to vendors or is going to be too much work, then the rule shouldn't exist. There shouldn't be any confusion to it if they're going to do something as drastic as not return it or your prints.

Michael_Gan
09-03-2007, 12:55 AM
What type of case did you use?

Keith_A_Howe
09-03-2007, 12:57 AM
What kinda case did you get? We can't help if we don't know what you have.
I will bring this point up to PEC as we (jurors) Just had to fill out a form on what could be done to improve the competition.
Keith

Auralee_Dallas
09-03-2007, 12:57 AM
I agree with you. I have invested in two print cases bacause it takes so long to get them back from PPA that I had to buy a second for our Regional. Now the photos that someone showed here of their case which was said to be not "approved" looks just like mine. Can you post a photo of yours? If it is like mine--I will join you in the very upset zone.

Mark_G_Woods
09-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Adrian,

I understand your frustration, but I have not had any problems (yet). I have two Tallyn cases and I am very happy with them. Yes they are expensive but so are comp prints from a lab, so I consider it worth the investment to protect them. Here's the link for the case. They're in stock now.

http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={3C3856CE-6BC5-4181-83EEVEREST5-32307A151C35}&ic=T%2FS%2DPCC&eq=&Tp=

KirkDarling
09-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Now the photos that someone showed here of their case which was said to be not "approved" looks just like mine.

The cases he showed were the Fiberbilt cases that lots of people have used for years. I suspect they became "unapproved" because of wear and tear...but how?

I'd certainly like to see some specifications myself, because if it's a matter of wear and tear, then any case, no matter how initially expensive can become "unapproved."

Michael_Gan
09-03-2007, 03:24 AM
I suspect that the fiberbilts might be declassified because the print handlers have a hard time re-strapping the cases. What happens is that if they don't "synch" it up correctly, the straps loosen and the prints fall out in transet, thus leading to print damage. There are some cases out ther similar to the fiberbilts that have the straps, but they have the plastic clips that buckles the straps together (much like the buckles that hold down a hot tub cover). I had to use this type of case cause Leslie hogged both of my other cases.

That being said, I wish PPA would bring back the print cases. I have two I bought at a clearance. One was an all aluminum print case that had a foam cut out of 16x20 I got for $150, and that thing is indestruvtable. The I got one that I beleive was made by Tamrac. 20x24 and I got it for $85 (she had to put her EI entries into it.

andiegoodman
09-03-2007, 03:56 AM
I sent mine in a fiberbilt case (at least 20 years old) and never got an error message from the PEC. They do get a bit nasty over time but it still works and not everybody can afford $200 each for a case. Someone ought to come up with a GOOD, but inexpensive case that will be approved. And I would sure like to see a list.

Marc_Benjamin
09-03-2007, 04:04 AM
I'm starting to think that it might be a pesky strap issue with the Fiberbuilt type cases. Like it's much easier and more convenient for the return packers to zip a case closed rather than trying to mess with the straps and making sure they are secure. I've always thougth that the fiberbuilt types are a little shakey. Also, I could imagine the straps catching on other cases and ect. This is probably why UPS wants those cases boxed.

Also, WPPI has a no print return option that actually solves this case deal. Though I suspect this is place since there's a lot more foreign entries (why is that?) and sometimes shipping actually cost the same as one of those strappy Fiberbuilts.

BTW. I've been promoting the zippered cases here for two years now. They're sylish, very lucky and hassle free. Plus they have a high resale value. I've already been offered $200 for my 20x24 and that thing is probably 10 years old.

Mark_Levesque
09-03-2007, 04:29 AM
I just got a Tenba Airbook, since my Fiberbilt junker hasn't returned from nationals. It's way nicer (and about twice the price).

Marc_Benjamin
09-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I just got a Tenba Airbook, since my Fiberbilt junker hasn't returned from nationals. It's way nicer (and about twice the price).

Did yours come with shoulder straps?

Mark_Levesque
09-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Yes. I removed it so it can be shipped back easily. Gotta hand carry it today.

KirkDarling
09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I sent mine in a fiberbilt case (at least 20 years old) and never got an error message from the PEC. They do get a bit nasty over time but it still works and not everybody can afford $200 each for a case. Someone ought to come up with a GOOD, but inexpensive case that will be approved. And I would sure like to see a list.

The only reason they cost that much is because they say "photo."

Jane_Lydick_Staid
09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey Mark,

Are you taking your case to Worcester today?

James_Dingwell
09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
There seems to be a great deal of confusion as to what is "an approved print case"? Most of you (probably 98%) have been using approved cases for years but, I agree that we need to do a better job of educating our members as to what an approved case is. To that end, we are working on a brief tutorial that will answer that question. Essentially, an aprroved case is a reusable case intended for shipping photographs or artwork. This would not include portfolios intended for hand carrying artwork (sometimes shipped within a box), homemade cases of wood or metal, or cardboard boxes.

A few members recently received notes stating that their's was not an approved case either because it was not a reusabable shipping case or because what was once an approved case, is now unserviceable due to missing, hanging, or taped handles and straps, jagged edges or anything else that might require special handling. To file and store the hundreds or thousands of individual print cases requires a facility and a system that dictates some uniformity and does not allow for "special handling".

The 2008 International Judging rules will allow makers to ship their images in any container they prefer. This would even include cardboard boxes, but we will ask the makers to sign a disclaimer as part of their entry form stating that they understand they are shipping in an unapproved shipping case and that it, nor the images will be returned. This option will eliminate the expense of purchasing an approved case just for International Judging, lower shipping costs, and it eliminate the wait of several months between judging and IUSA for your case to be returned.

PEC is constantly striving to be "user friendly" and I invite any further questions to be directed to me personally at jdingwell@ppa.com or 866.591.9190.

Jim Dingwell
PEC Administrator

Helen_Yancy
09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Jim is correct, and I would add that the fiber print cases that we have always used, when in acceptable condition, are still approved by PEC. However - UPS and the Post Office have made many of us pack the fiber case within a cardboard box because they - the carrier - decided that particular case was not approved.
I'd be very interested in knowing how many of you would decide that you do not want your prints returned.

Warm wishes to all,

Helen
PEC Interim Co-Chairman

Marc_Benjamin
09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I'd be very interested in knowing how many of you would decide that you do not want your prints returned.

Hi Helen,

It depends, are we gonna get the (if we're so lucky enough) corners mailed to us eventually?

Mark_Levesque
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey Mark,

Are you taking your case to Worcester today?

Um, yes, yes I did. Just got back. Why? Do you wanna know where to find the building? Hint: it's not where Google maps says it is. :D

Then I went and had lunch at an old college hangout. It's had a massive renovation and was unrecognizable. You really can't go home. {shrug}

Jane_Lydick_Staid
09-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I really didnt want to drive to Worcester and my stuff just got here. I have it taken care of. Sometimes its not what you know but how hard you whine.

Barry_Hayes
09-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Essentially, an aprroved case is a reusable case intended for shipping photographs or artwork.(quote Jim Dingwell)
Well that is what I have used, as always, (see my image post in another thread on this subject from last week) and I still got the note. I also asked my state rep, and Al Hopper at PPANE this week and they didn't know how to answer. Since this is what almost everyone else seems to be using, I guess it meets the uniformity criteria. And if state, local, and regional print committees can deal with straps I guess national can too, especially after how many years of experience!
Print competition is not cheap, between cost of prints, shipping, and entry fees (which don;t seem to be going down), having to buy new print cases on someone's whim is not what I find user friendly.
It doesn't seem to be broken, so let's not fix it.
Barry Hayes
Cheapskate, but still a competitor.

PS, FEDEX ground does not give any nonsense over further boxing or surcharges. They just do their job. What a refreshing experience.

Keith_A_Howe
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Barry
Here is my guess as to the possible problem... oh and by the way these fiberbuilt cases when in good condition are acceptable.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/case.jpg
As I am looking at the case, it appears that the handle has be taped on. It looks like the sides are warped out and have been taped in and I can not tell if the buckles are working - looks like yours are. The issue is imagine 4000 or so cases that all have to be unpacked, labled (on the handle) with the ID that matches the case to the prints. Now imagine the print crew with gloves on having to handle your cases that in some cases the straps have lost or broken buckles and are taped shut. Now we put a box knife in the hands of the crew cutting and removing tape (this year the tape removed was bigger than an aerobics ball). These cases are stored vertically, handles out for space and id. The cases that in my understanding were given notes were ones that were - home made, modified, had parts broken or missing, OR had missing or taped handles. PEC is not out to make you spend more money or to try to make it harder on you. Just the opposite, they want to keep things as efficient as poss. They are offering you options to send your images in cardboard boxes, mark on the form that you do not want your prints returned (it is my understanding that they are making provisions for corners to be returned). The thinking is that digital has made the custom artwork less common and therefor some people would rather display a copy as opposed to the actual image that was entered. Either way it is up to you the maker to decide what is right for you.
As for your cases check to see if any sides are broken, edges warped badly, missing or broken straps or handles etc. If in doubt, call Jim Dingwell and ask him. I believe that they are working on a guideline for the website by the rules as to what an approved case is. The problem is that PPA / PEC does not want to endorse a petuclar brand / company / etc. They are not selling equipment.
Keith