PDA

View Full Version : Hating my case!!!

Jeff_Dachowski
08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
So just thought I would let you all know that I officially hate the case of images I am sending in to regionals

.:mad:

Jeff

D._Craig_Flory
08-31-2007, 08:23 PM
So just thought I would let you all know that I officially hate the case of images I am sending in to regionals

Jeff

Hi Jeff;

It doesn't matter if the case isn't attractive .... it's the images inside that count. ;)

Ok .... to make you feel better. I've seen lots of people feel great about images only to have their hopes dashed. So if you hate this body of work you might get nothing scored below a 95.

Jeff_Dachowski
08-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Jeff;

Ok .... to make you feel better. I've seen lots of people feel great about images only to have their hopes dashed. So if you hate this body of work you might get nothing scored below a 95.

Craig,
I really thank you for your support. It means a lot. I think I will be reporting an 0 for 4 result from this years comp!!
Jeff

JohnHeckler
08-31-2007, 08:42 PM

Jeff

Yeah, probably a couple few loans and merits in there ...

Show'em to us! :)

Jeff_Dachowski
08-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, probably a couple few loans and merits in there ...

Show'em to us! :)

Uhm,
John.... you really don't want to see these. Honest.
Jeff

Marc_Benjamin
08-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Jeff, as you probably already know, I've always supported the stylish case camp!

Though, what do you mean you hate the case? Like the case as in collection of 4 or the physical container?

Dave_Cisco
08-31-2007, 10:20 PM

Jeff

Who made you send it?:)

Jeff_Dachowski
09-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Jeff, as you probably already know, I've always supported the stylish case camp!

Though, what do you mean you hate the case? Like the case as in collection of 4 or the physical container?

Marc,
I am not jazzed at all about my case. You know how sometimes you want to go watch the whole thing. I don't feel that at all with this case.

Jeff

Jeff_Dachowski
09-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Who made you send it?:)

Jack Reznicki.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
09-01-2007, 02:08 AM
AW Jeff it cant be that bad. We are so hard on ourselves.

My prints were shipped from the lab yesterday and didnt arrive yet. Now I have to beg for favors. :eek:

Cassandra_Sullivan
09-01-2007, 02:27 AM
I shipped mine the other day. Same prints as from PPAM in Feb. But I also put in a couple of folios, which I'm more hopeful about. It's my first PPANE entry!

Marc_Benjamin
09-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Marc,
I am not jazzed at all about my case. You know how sometimes you want to go watch the whole thing. I don't feel that at all with this case.
Jeff

In that case, may the "God's of the Hail Mary Cases" smile upon your entries.

Don_Chick
09-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Now I have to beg for favors. :eek:

Being on the PPANE board doesn't hurt I am sure!!!!:eek:

Jane_Lydick_Staid
09-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Hmmmmmmmm we shall see Don.

andiegoodman
09-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Glad to hear that, Jeff. I will be on the lookout for it as I open cases on Friday. For the first time since I joined, I am not entering a case (or a print). The great(?) unveiling will have to wait until April of next year.

See you in Sturbridge. :)

George_Hawkins
09-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Being on the PPANE board doesn't hurt I am sure!!!!:eek:

It's the print committee chair that counts! Ask for a "hand delivery" to residence. I had issues this year; time moved too fast. I
I planned to photograph an unbelievable 1930 auto, but lately it's been TOO sunny, or rain, or the owner is busy!

George

Jeff_Dachowski
09-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Glad to hear that, Jeff.

Andie,
So are you saying you are glad I am hating my case????:)

Jeff

Jack_Reznicki
09-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Jack Reznicki.

Jeff,

Just so you know, I think I sprained my shoulder twisting your arm :D

Linda_Gregory
09-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Great,

You hate what you've entered and are a terrific photographer.

Did you keep your good stuff back or are you trying to show the rest of us that it's all about the entry...and plan on learning from entering stuff to hear the critique?

AH! I think I GET it! It's an anxiety thing about never feeling worthy/good enough?

Jack, thanks for twisting his arm, sorry about your injury!

Waiting to hear the results which we should hear....when??? (that's for us not on the east coast, unaware of your schedules.)

Liz_Vance
09-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Great,
AH! I think I GET it! It's an anxiety thing about never feeling worthy/good enough?

I'm very familiar with this concept! (I go back and forth between that and feeling very full of myself.) As I have been watching too much tv lately (Scott's been out of town), I have yet another movie quote, from Spanglish: "Honey, sometimes that low self-esteem of yours is just good common sense!"

In this case, however, Jeff, I'd like to see these prints that you hate. Because I'm pretty sure that they are a gazillion times better than the ones I sent in! (And I loved my case, I was so happy, I thought I was going to merit across the board, and well, let's just say that didn't happen. And the highlight of the judging was listening to the argument between two judges, one who loved a print, and one who thought that same print was horrible. So it's not all in my head. They felt the same way! :)

Show us the prints... please! We'll be nice, I promise!

-e

andiegoodman
09-02-2007, 03:30 AM
Andie,
So are you saying you are glad I am hating my case????:)

Jeff

Nope, that you are entering prints. I WILL be on the lookout for them. LOL

Jeff_Dachowski
09-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Jack,
I am sorry about your shoulder. Maybe some hotwings and a two liter of diet pepsi in Tampa will make it better.

Liz and John,
Fine these are for you. Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/Untitled-1-1.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/Untitled-2-1.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/edgeoftheearth-1.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/Reese3.jpg

So there they are.

Jeff

Auralee_Dallas
09-02-2007, 04:38 AM
Jeff--I LOVE #2 of the fishing boat. Good Luck!!!!

Jeff_Dachowski
09-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Hi Auralee,
Thanks very much. How about I trade you a fishing boat for a vintage dawn?
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
09-02-2007, 05:11 AM
how...? how on earth do you hate those?!

Simply beautiful, Jeff.

ElizabethGraham
09-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Jeff, my friend, I have two words for you . . . .

Shut . . .

Up!

Those are really beautiful . . . you make me sick! :p :D

Good luck in comp!

E.

Liz_Vance
09-02-2007, 05:45 AM
Seriously. These are really good. I love # 2, and like the rest quite a bit. The only one I'm not totally nuts about is # 1, but I bet it looks fine in person, so even that one is good.

-e

Mark_Levesque
09-02-2007, 12:50 PM
He's funny, isn't he? I'm looking at a case of 4 78s, so he gets no sympathy from me. I especially like the 2nd one.

Compounding my own unhappiness with my case, I have an issue with which I would appreciate some advice. In the course of removing one of my prints from the plastic sleeve in which it arrived, I managed to get some of the the clear plastic packing tape stuck to the front of the image (in a prominent spot, of course.) While I was able to remove the tape, there is sticky residue left on the face of the print. Is there any reasonable way to get this off without making it worse?

If this is not bad enough (it is) on two of my prints I have significant dull patches. Wondering whether to bother sending it in at all.

Tracy_McGee
09-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Oh, you're just crazy! :p Those are all beautiful! And I'll be the different one and say that I am IN LOVE with #3! It's rare for me to see an image that I would hang on my wall, but that is definitely one of the few!

Mark, that really stinks. :(

Linda_Gregory
09-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Gasp!

I have some that are similar to two and three.. even #1 in a totally different location but.....they're almost there, not quite. :(

I love the feel of #1, please tell us it's slightly blurry because of the small resolution.

I've not been overly happy with any of my night shots with digital and am not bringing out a film camera again just for those.

So, when IS the comp, will you share your results and any comments you hear about them???

Keith_A_Howe
09-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Is there any reasonable way to get this off without making it worse?
If this is not bad enough (it is) on two of my prints I have significant dull patches. Wondering whether to bother sending it in at all.

Is the print laminated or sprayed? If so I have no idea what to suggest. If it is a raw print get ahold of some PEC-12 from Photographic Solutions INC
1-508-759-2322. We have used it to clean all sorts of stuff off raw prints. It reacts weird with lacquer spray though, so you can't use it if the print is sprayed. I have never tried it on a laminated print. It says on the bottle "For professional photographic use only. Not to be sold for personal household or family use." so I don't know if they will sell it to you directly. We have always gotten it through our lab.
As far as the dull spots - get one of those microfiber lens cloths from a camera store or an optometrist and buff the dull spots. Sporting goods stores that carry nice quality sunglasses usually have them also. They are about $5-$10. If you can't find a microfiber cloth use the softest old worn out clean t-shirt you have. If it is something on the print like fingerprints etc, this will probably work. If it is an actual scuff or abrasion respraying is the only way I know to fix it. Hope some of this helps.
Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
09-02-2007, 02:47 PM
HI everyone,
Thanks you all for your kind words.

Mark,
I don't know what to use except for maybe a diluted version of goo gone. Sounds like the print is unsuable even if it makes it worse.

Linda,
the judging is on the 8th. I will certainly follow up with results.
Jeff

Linda_Gregory
09-02-2007, 03:05 PM
The Pec 12 should work if it's laminated. We've used it on all sorts of surfaces short of sprayed surfaces.

I meant to address this in my previous post but am watching a news video as I peruse the forums...shouldn't do that.

Mark_Levesque
09-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I worried most of it off at this point. It's barely sticky at all.

I think these are probably raw prints. I dunno. Does WHCC spray comp prints?

Keith-

I've got a microfiber cloth. I'll give that a shot, but it appears to be some sort of blemish in the surface of the print itself, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope. What's really annoying is that the two prints that have this issue were printed at different times, and at different labs. It's bizarre. And I didn't notice this when I first got the prints. But I don't know how it could have just appeared after the fact.

Linda_Gregory
09-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Mark, the surface of any gloss finish is much more succeptible to scratches, smudges and other damage than traditional luster finish. We (all labs) must use special care when handling and packaging these. I'd suggest keeping them packaged as they came for storage before shipping out.

I'm not saying you're rough with prints (are you? <g>) but kid gloves-or at least cotton ones-are in order.

Mark_Levesque
09-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I baby everything, Linda.

FWIW- the microfiber cloth had no effect.

JohnHeckler
09-02-2007, 04:32 PM

Liz and John,
Fine these are for you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

So there they are.

Jeff

I like'em and think all but the first one stand a good chance to hang in my humble and seriously limited experienced opinion. :rolleyes:

andiegoodman
09-03-2007, 05:58 AM
I worried most of it off at this point. It's barely sticky at all.

I think these are probably raw prints. I dunno. Does WHCC spray comp prints?

Keith-

I've got a microfiber cloth. I'll give that a shot, but it appears to be some sort of blemish in the surface of the print itself, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope. What's really annoying is that the two prints that have this issue were printed at different times, and at different labs. It's bizarre. And I didn't notice this when I first got the prints. But I don't know how it could have just appeared after the fact.

Mark, if the print is at all sticky, it can be disqualified. Prints are stacked back to back and face to face. If it could ruin another print, it will be put back in your case. I would try the diluted goo gone or goof off. At this point, you have nothing to lose. Just make sure the print is cleaned off - no greasy stuff allowed either.

Andie (and a long-time member of the print committee)

Don_Chick
09-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Jeff,

Nice images!!!! See you at PPANE.. or NHPPA on Wednseday then PPANE on Saturday...

Jeff_Dachowski
09-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Okay,
Here is the final tally for the PPANE regional print comp.

3 prints earned seals-

1 print earned a Court of honor for Illustrative,
and a Kodak Gallery award for Illustrative.

So the key really is to hate your case!!!

Thank you to al of you for your kind words!!

Jeff

Linda_Gregory
09-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Wha---huh? Wha---What???

DETAILS, Man! Which ones got what and did you hear any discussion on them as they were being judged...or later?

Oh, and MAJOR congratulations!

Jeff_Dachowski
09-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi Linda,
No kidding huh? Well I need you all to know that I really was not happy with my case. I had worked on the whole case a total of two hours, and from 11-1 am to boot. I did not make this thread to be coy. I really did not think any of the images would go, much less earn any other awards. I would have certainly rather been at the awards banquet rather than taping my master bath??

As far as I can tell the image that won the two extra awards are of the boat in the mist. I called it Dawn patrol, I think!!! Thanks again for your kind words.

See you soon.
Jeff

Don_Chick
09-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Yup, it was the "Dawn Patrol" image that won the awards for you.

Congratulations! Nice job.

Marc_Benjamin
09-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Congrats dude and good lord you won another K Gallery! That's just soooo awsome!

Jeff_Dachowski
09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Congrats dude and good lord you won another K Gallery! That's just soooo awsome!

Thanks Marc,
The problem now, is I have to carry them in my pocket because I do not have a ribbon to put them on!! All those pins jingle when I walk, and it is annoying.....
Jeff

;)

D._Craig_Flory
09-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks Marc,
The problem now, is I have to carry them in my pocket because I do have a ribbon to put them on!! All those pins jingle when I walk, and it is annoying.....
Jeff

;)

Hi Jeff;

Till you get your Craftsman, just send your Kodak Gallery pins to me and I'll display them on my Craftaman. If too many I'll display the rest on my Pa. Certification Commission Medalion ribbon. Then I'll send them back after they put your medalion around your neck. :D

How many speaking merits do you need yet ?

Keith_A_Howe
09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks Marc,
The problem now, is I have to carry them in my pocket because I do have a ribbon to put them on!! All those pins jingle when I walk, and it is annoying.....
Jeff
;)

Wait till you get two or three medallians and see how much they clink together when you walk. I stuck my 3 degrees and Imaging Excellance medallions together with fun tack because the clink clink clink was so annoying. It's almost enough to make a guy wanna give up a degree or two . . . NOT!

Ona serious note - you are not supposed to put those pins on your ribbon. That's what the name badge lanyards are for! Only the National Award pin (I believe but could be wrong) is supposed to go on your national degree ribbon. In NE only the past presidents gavel pin is supposed to go on the state degree ribbon. If you don't follow these rules, you might have to sit in the time out chair, so I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Ona serious note - you are not supposed to put those pins on your ribbon. That's what the name badge lanyards are for! Only the National Award pin (I believe but could be wrong) is supposed to go on your national degree ribbon. In NE only the past presidents gavel pin is supposed to go on the state degree ribbon. If you don't follow these rules, you might have to sit in the time out chair, so I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
Keith

Hi Keith;

That may be the rule but I wouldn't know it going to our state assn. meetings. Everyone wears their pins on the degree ribbons. We have had a lot of PPA presidents attend our awards banquets and nothing has ever been said and we have a lot of Masters and Craftsmen in Pa. Maybe we just have not had the rules sticklers here.

Marc_Benjamin
09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks Marc,
The problem now, is I have to carry them in my pocket because I do not have a ribbon to put them on!! All those pins jingle when I walk, and it is annoying.....
Jeff
;)

Or you could just walk around with the actual trophies in your hands! :D

Jane_Lydick_Staid
09-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Ha! Hating my print case.

I did really well in nationals and in NH. Guess I was due for a smackdown. All reds. Oh well.

Nobody ever told me I couldnt put pins on my ribbon. If there are rules, I wish they would be made known. I worked hard for my medal and it cost me a fortune. In the meantime I will have to suffer with my pins on the ribbon.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 03:38 AM
I wanted to revive this thread so folks might understand a future hating my case part 2 thread.

Jeff

Lori_Clapp
02-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Well, I'm hating everything that I'm considering for my case, so maybe that's a good sign huh?

Auralee_Dallas
02-08-2008, 04:55 AM
So how long do we have to wait to see this year's entries that you hate? Are all the regionals coming up now?

Mark_Levesque
02-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Our states is next for us. Our regional isn't until Sept.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Auralee,
As soon as I pick my four, I will start a new hating my case thread.
Until then, if nobody minds, I will keep posting potentials, until I get things together.
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
02-08-2008, 05:14 AM
I wanted to revive this thread so folks might understand a future hating my case part 2 thread.

Jeff

Wouldn't that be Hating My Case Part Deaux?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Wouldn't that be Hating My Case Part Deaux?

You told me never to use french titles didn't you????

Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
02-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Jeff, I am in Pittsburg. I thought you were meeting me for dinner. what happened?

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Jeff, I am in Pittsburg. I thought you were meeting me for dinner. what happened?

Keith

Keith,
I missed my flight! Did you eat my buffalo wings?
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
02-08-2008, 05:28 AM
No - but the Diet Pepsi is ALL gone.
Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 05:31 AM
No - but the Diet Pepsi is ALL gone.
Keith

HOLLY!!!!!

Cheri_MacCallum
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Jeff, In a lot of print comps the prints that I felt were my weakest, are the ones that will often get the higher scores and awards...go figure!

Don_Chick
02-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Jeff, In a lot of print comps the prints that I felt were my weakest, are the ones that will often get the higher scores and awards...go figure!

When I am weak, then I am strong!!!!

Auralee_Dallas
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Jeff, Can we all post for feedback or is this your personal hate site?

Mine are already judged from Regionals. I was already digging and said the Hail Mary, but I will need to replace three.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Auralee,
Please add all the images you like. Let's keep the dream alive.
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
04-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Okay,
Here is the final tally for the PPANE regional print comp.

3 prints earned seals-

1 print earned a Court of honor for Illustrative,
and a Kodak Gallery award for Illustrative.

So the key really is to hate your case!!!

Thank you to al of you for your kind words!!

Jeff

Everybody remember this thread from last fall? Jeff hated his case but ended up doing well. I have a major problem, I like all my prints this year. Egad!~ I am doomed! I see 4 79's in my future!

Keith

Auralee_Dallas
04-10-2008, 01:38 AM
I hate my case too. It only has one image in it at the present time. Gotta get to work.
Keith--hate might be too strong a word for your case.

Linda_Gregory
04-10-2008, 01:52 AM
MINE ARE ON THEIR WAY!

Thanks to big pushes from Keith and Holly and a few other bumps along the way, it's actually on it's way. I loved my images before but after working on them so long...and as a lab I print and mount them too...I'm a bit tired of them. Not sure of anything anymore!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-10-2008, 02:11 AM
I have tried several methods over the last three years to get my cases ready. I have worked on them for months ahead of time, and determined that I hated my case, I have worked on them four day s before the comp with the same result.

Currently I am at the point where I at least three of my five entries, wrapped up, but am in complete confusion on the categories, and the other two images!!! UGH!!!

Jeff
keith,
You've got to fly like an eagle........

Linda_Gregory
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, mine got shipped yesterday. It is definitely a love/hate relationship! www.lindagregory.com/comp08 complete with titles. NO critique wanted at this time, it's TOO LATE! Next week, we'll discuss what could have been done as I want to send another case back with Jeff when he's here in May.

Andrea_Chapelo
04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Gorgeous Linda! Can't wait to hear how you do. Good luck!

Stephanie_Millner
04-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Linda, those are beautiful! Competition, shompetition... I want to buy one!

Mark_Levesque
04-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I am still deciding which images to put in my case so I will have something to hate! LOL Note to self: ask 5 photogs for opinions re: possibles, and you'll get 6 different answers!

Oh, and Linda, that's a great case!

Heather_L._Smith
04-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Niiiiiiiiiice, Linda! Those are beautiful! I'd be willing to bet there's some pretty decent print quality in them as well :)

I'm with you, Mark... I THINK I have 5 images ready. However, no titles for anything yet.

Oh, and just for the record, I hated Jeff's case, too... but only because it was great and kicked fanny, and wasn't mine.

Linda_Gregory
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
So when IS this NH thingie?

And thanks for the compliments, may they reach my soul where all the doubt is.

And that's soul, not sole. My feet are just fine.

Mark_Levesque
04-10-2008, 06:20 PM
it's in two weeks

Jim_Heidorn
04-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Ahhh Linda, wasn't Prague just so good to your case!!!

Great job, and I miss being in Prague. I will be going back in a few years.

Jim

Linda_Gregory
04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Ahhh Linda, wasn't Prague just so good to your case!!!

Great job, and I miss being in Prague. I will be going back in a few years.

Jim

Embarrassingly so! 1 and 4 were taken last May and 2 was taken this past January. One I merited with last year was taken on the May 07 trip. VERY good to my case(es) but then, it's hard to take a bad shot there. I know you can....I do have plenty of bad ones but still. What a city!