PDA

View Full Version : Black Edges on Prints

Cindi_Penrod
08-23-2007, 02:16 AM
So I heard at a Print Competition mini-seminar that its best to use a black marker to black out the white edges of competiton prints so the judges aren't hit with that white edge as the turntable comes around. Sounds easy enough. But now with competition 2 days away, I tried with sharpie on one print and nearly had a coronary with fear I'd mar the print. I have 2 more to do and just can't bear to touch them with the sharpie. Is there an easier way to do this? Please say there is!

Stephanie_Millner
08-23-2007, 02:19 AM
I've never submitted anything for competition, but the studio I used to assist at taught me that edge-taping is the solution for all of white-gatorfoam woes.

Go get some thin-width black masking tape and carefully go around the edges. Wrap the extra over the sides or trim with an Xacto blade. Voila! Black.

Marc_Benjamin
08-23-2007, 03:22 AM
You know, if your two days away I would just leave it alone since there's a big chance that you might cross over on a twitch!

Anyways, there is some form of noise/distraction on the edge. Also, blackening the edges seems to complete the presentation. It's been a while since I had to sharpie the edge because print competition stuff comes on already black gator foam from Bayphoto.

Funny, but sometimes, if there's nothing else to comment on a judge will go for the edge comment lol.

Rick_Massarini
08-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Cindi,
The advice about the black edges is pretty much correct. If the image is a low key image, that white edge line may cause a distraction when the print spins on the turntable. As a print handler at the national judging, I hate the black marker on the edges of the prints since it always seems to rub off on my gloves and on any light colored clothing that I happen to be wearing (so I usually wear dark clothese to the judging). I also worry about the black marker rubbing off on other images, and adversely effecting the scores of the other participants - like on a high key matte-textured finish pastel. The best solution is to mount your high key prints on white core mount board and the low key prints on black core board (mount board, not foam). If you can't get black core board, try getting a wide square or chisel point Marks-a-Lot marker instead of Sharpie, that way you stand less of a chance of having the marker run away when you run it down the edges. But if you do use a black marker, after it dries, please do your fellow competitors a favor and rub down the edges with a cloth to remove as much of the excess ink as possible - just think of that high key pastel as being one of your own prints, then you'll understand why !!!

Putting Scotch black photographic tape on the edges used to be a popular emthod of blackening the edges some years ago, but in this digital age, the balck tape will probably cost you points instead of adding points to your score.

Linda_Gregory
08-23-2007, 03:35 AM
We mount on black gatorfoam for competition and still darken the edges to keep any edging from the actual print from breaking the dark edge and it also makes the gatorfoam REALLY black.

Hold the print so the edge is over the edge of the table, take the pen at a 90 degree angle, hold it steady and err on the side of missing it and do one side at a time.

Marc_Benjamin
08-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Nice illustration, how about a true to life photo example? :p

Cindi_Penrod
08-23-2007, 03:40 AM
LOL great answers guys, thanks! I'll get a square-tipped marker in the morning and give that a go. I have the largest sharpie, hoped it would cover in one stroke, but it didn't. Was like coloring with a crayon all the way around that print. The back looks awful, but the front is good! lol

Linda, your illustration is great! :D

Rick, I will remember to rub the edges down before I pack them into the case.

Seriously, the artist in me wants to just grab a brush & some paint -- but I don't think my prints would appreciate the moisture! :P

Linda_Gregory
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Marc,

Whatcha want on the fly? I'm home with no prints!

Cindi, I don't use a flat end marker but the side of a pointed one. the flat end could work well, too.

D._Craig_Flory
08-23-2007, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=Cindi Penrod;96617]LOL great answers guys, thanks! I'll get a square-tipped marker in the morning and give that a go. I have the largest sharpie, hoped it would cover in one stroke, but it didn't. Was like coloring with a crayon all the way around that print. The back looks awful, but the front is good! lol

Hi Cindi;

I also order black core gator-foam. Since you only have two days: I agree about the chisel point el markos and other permanent makers. First, put on white print gloves. Have a large piece of brown kraft paper down or an extremy clean and totally grit free surface to work at. Turn the print upside down so you are facing the back. Start slow and work slow ... DO NOT RUSH ! Since it needs to dry, go back and forth between prints once a side is done. As stated ... once all are done, go back over with something to take off excess ink. But ... DO NOT USE A PAPER TOWEL !!! That will leave lint all over the edges.

One other thing to think (or worry) about. If the lab didn't trim the print right down to the board ... it makes doing this extremely hard. I usually use a break off type knife to trim the excess but you need a new sharp blade. You need to be even more careful doing this than darkening the edges. If you don't feel confident, don't try it.

Cindi_Penrod
08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Oh Craig, you scare me with talk of trimming my prints. Think I'll try that on a spare print sometime, but not on these prints this time! lol
I found several types of perm. marker while shopping today. I think my best bet will be the large chesel tip sharpie. Going to give it a go. I'm using a piece of bg paper from the studio to put the prints down on. And yeah, I will go SLOW!!! This is nerve-racking! lol

Cindi_Penrod
08-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey - another question. One of my prints has a medium blue background - should I paint the edges of that one blue (please say no because I only have one blue marker & the tip is HUGE), or make it black like the other darker images?

I don't think Miller's offers black gatorboard, atleast I don't remember having ever seen that option. I have an account with Bay too, though, I'll order from them next time I have low key images for Competition!

Linda_Gregory
08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Cindi,

Go with the black on the dark blue.

We do this for our customers when they order comp prints. Are we weird?

D._Craig_Flory
08-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh Craig, you scare me with talk of trimming my prints. Think I'll try that on a spare print sometime, but not on these prints this time! lol
I found several types of perm. marker while shopping today. I think my best bet will be the large chesel tip sharpie. Going to give it a go. I'm using a piece of bg paper from the studio to put the prints down on. And yeah, I will go SLOW!!! This is nerve-racking! lol

Hi Cindi;

Like Linda told you .. use the black.

What I was referring to was if some of the print stuck out past the outside of the mount board. I would not recommend trimming the board at all. I agree about practice on it. If your lab sends you images with the print exactly with the board ... great. I order machine prints after doing everything in Adobe Photoshop so I do occasionally have excess print extending out past the board.

Cindi_Penrod
08-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Okay, edges are done - the last 2 prints went much better than the first one. Now maybe my hands will stop shaking! ;)

Lables are next, then I'm packing my case & forgetting about it. Have I missed any important details?

Thanks so much for the help, all.

Don_Chick
08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Have I missed any important details?

Don't forget to put the entry fee in with the signed entry form! :D :D :D

D._Craig_Flory
08-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi Cindi;

Finally, a little prayer couldn't hurt. ;)

And don't forget to sit in on the judging - as well as going to the print critiques. Both are excellent learning situations.

Cindi_Penrod
08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Got the case packed and now I'm not going to worry about it anymore! I'll be sitting in on judging most of the day Saturday, but Sunday & Monday I will be shooting several of the events/programs - so now I'm off to pack the camera bag! :D

Craig, I definitely threw in a little prayer... considered adding gifts as well! lol

Oh, and I took a few minutes to give the 2 reject prints nice frames and a spot in the studio. :)