PDA

View Full Version : Newpaper Articles Announcing Competition Results

DiannaAllen
08-19-2007, 03:46 AM
The advantage of living in a small town is that our local newpaper will announce accomplishments like this no charge.

Does anyone else submit articles/info to the media to announce that you had a print(s) merit in the PPA Competition? I'm looking for content suggestions because it's kind difficult to explain it in laymans terms and it be recognized as a special milestone in a photographers career.

I also recently completed a week long course at the East Coast Photography School and I thought I'd piggyback the announcements. I have sample wording for that part but not for the print competition part.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dianna

Keith_A_Howe
08-19-2007, 04:09 AM
Why piggyback it? Send the press release about the school right now. Then in a week or two send the release about the merit prints. Two press releases spaced fairly close together will do you a lot more good than one larger press release. Repetition is the key to TOMA (top of the mind awareness) and it also makes it look like you are ALWAYS doing/ winning something.

Keith

DiannaAllen
08-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Good point. All the more reason I want the competition write-up to be really good.

Send me your suggestions!

Thanks

Linda_Gregory
08-19-2007, 05:04 AM
http://www.ppa.com/files/public/PEC_release2007.pdf

Is a link to PPA's press release, copy it and change it as you wish.

DianeDavis
08-19-2007, 05:07 AM
If you want to pm me with what you've written, I'd be glad to give you my ideas.

DiannaAllen
08-19-2007, 07:26 AM
I should have known they have one. Thanks so much for the link. I appreciate everyone's help.

Linda_Gregory
08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Well, I submitted a newsbrief, personalized from the PPA press release and didn't hear a thing.

After the reporter felt guilty about not even mentioning me in her write up on local TTD, she handed it off to the arts reporter....and here's the link.

http://www.kansas.com/entertainment/arts/story/151905.html

You may wish to just skip it all and do a search on that page for Linda Gregory to find the blurb at the bottom.

It's better than nothing!!! And a link to my website but wow. I gotta getta website for my photography. My husband's out to get the hard copy, we'll see where it's located in the Sunday ads and comics. <g>

Honestly, the Wichita Eagle does have a decent arts section.

Anne_LeBouton
08-19-2007, 03:06 PM
We live in a small town too and submit a news release to the local paper everytime Gary gets an award of any kind or any other accomplishment. We've been doing that for years and it has been some of the best advertising we have. We even got alot of PR out of the photos I sent in of Gary's truck when the tree fell on it. Had people mention it when they scheduled their sessions.

A few years ago, a new photographer opened a studio in a town near us. When she started winning awards, she began submitting news releases too. She basically copied ours and many people started coming up to Gary after hers were in the paper and congratulating him on winning yet another award. They didn't actually read the article, just saw the pictures and the title "Local Photographer Wins Award" and assumed it was him since this new gal was pretty much unknown. He didn't bother to correct them.