08-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Sweet and simple... C&C.

Title:

Going SOLO

Sherry

Don_Chick
08-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi Sherry,

I think you have a very nice client image here, but not one for competition. At least one that (imho) will not merit. I might score this in the above average category depending on print quality.

These comments are made from looking at a 3 inch print!

The rim light is too bright burning out the hair on the top of the head The clothing competes with the center of interest. His hand has truncated fingers ( I understand that he's playing the guitar) and his expression is....pose(ish)! If all these were not factors I would consider flipping the image and have him be on the right using the guitar and arm as leading lines up to his body/face. Are you using artificial light on his face for a main?

D._Craig_Flory
08-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Sherry;

Don is 100% correct. It takes a while to get into competition mode when creating images. Picture your image compared to this ... someone playing a guitar and actually looking at it. It's created from 3 times as far away. He, or she, is sitting up against a tree. Nearby is a saddle and in the background is a horse grazing. The image was created just after dawn or just before dusk. Now, which image tells a story. Which has more impact and better lighting.

Buy one of the PPA Loan Collection books and look at images of someone playing a guitar.

When you are on a portrait session, create some images just to satisfy you. If the client(s) complain just explain it's no extra cost at all for them and you are just letting your creative side take. Create some from a greater distance. Do some looking at what they are doing or off into the distance. Even if the client wants all smiles, do some introspective non smiles also.

Sherry_Piche
08-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks Guys for your kind C&C. This is all natural light, using only a reflector for the fill. I agree with the clothing, I too was disapointed in his decision (after a consultation for solid and long sleeve). He actually was playing, singing and I caught this image mid song and he was naturally smiling. I now see that it does look posed, but it really was not.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

YOU GUYS ROCK!

PS.. I have 4 loan collection books, and 2 general... Personally have had 3 Nationally Merited Prints but they are all "in studio" and under controlled lighting conditions. My personal challenge is to get out of the studio and focus on the environmental portraits. This is my first attempt, albiet, short of what I hoped for but a start. .

Thank you for your challenge to me to obtain that.

Ok... I think I am kicking myself in the butt to get off my butt and do it..... Thanks guys for the gentle push!

Sherry

Cindi_Penrod
08-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Sherry! While this may not be the right shot for competiton, your website has some fabulous examples of your work! Great PS skill and some awesome Senior work. Welcome, I can't wait to see more.

Don_Chick
08-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Sherry,

You certainly are on the right track, headed in the right direction. Keep it up and it will all flow together for your success.

While this image may not be right for competition, it shows that you have the skills in place to pull it off.

Sandy_Hill
08-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Sherry,

I saw your website and agree the senior images are great! I'm showing my ignorance here, but how did you get the painterly effect in Dude, Phenominal and Cool! ?

Thanks,

Sandy