PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, Me Again....

Cindi_Penrod
08-14-2007, 03:38 PM
I really wanted to enter my first print competition in June, but got cold feet, and even after I had my images printed decided they weren't good enough so didn't enter.

So now August Florida convention is almost here and I'm trying again. Here are my first 2 picks.... any chance they'll hang? I'm feeling better about these, but still not sure they're good enough.

I'll be spending the day trying to find 6, but I'm so critical of my work.......

Flight Of Fancy
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/medium/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_571243.jpg

Never Forget
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/medium/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_571261.jpg

Would love your opinions/suggestions.

Stan_Lawrence
08-14-2007, 04:22 PM
"and even after I had my images printed decided they weren't good enough so didn't enter."

I'll tell you what I tell jazz improv students....if you wait til it's perfect, you'll never do it. Some of the most educational scores I ever got were the 72's....enter, no matter what. The purpose is education, you can't learn if you don't enter. :cool:

D._Craig_Flory
08-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Cindi;

Enter regardless. If you only ever enter if you are assured of hanging in the print show you negate the reason for entering in the first place ... to learn. And even if every image only gets a white or a red ribbon they are still awards you won. Call up the clients and tell them you won such and such a ribbon. Put out a news release to the local paper.

If I were judging these: I'll start with the elephants. What is the main subject matter ? Where do you want the panel to look ? I'd go for the eyes. This is the one time I wouldn't go for one quadrant .... I would go for two - the 2nd and 3rd quadrants, putting the eyes there. You would be pretty well centered left to right but about 1/3rd down from the top. And the trunks provide leading lines up to the eyes. Make the accent line more subtle.

On the woman on the beach ... She is leaping out of the left side but we want the judges eyes to enter from the left and go across to our subject. It would work much better if she were on the right side of the composition. I would brighten the deep blue at the top a lot with an adjustment layer. I would crop off the darker sand at the bottom. I would change the cloth to a blue. And, I would make the background a light blue from the scene. Now, she stands out the most.

With changes, I could go up to a 78 on the woman and a 79 on the elephants.

Michael_Gan
08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Cindy, use a simple black with a slight brown tone around the image to accentuate the overall print warmth. Keep the stroke as is. I'd give it an 86 with that change (83 as is). Very nice "Ashes and Snow" inspired piece.

Cindi_Penrod
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys and Craig & Michael, I will definitely give your suggestions a try....

... but, I gotta ask... if its pretty clear an entry won't merrit, what education does one gain to enter the image anyway? I don't understand what that would teach me - to fail? I only want to show my very best efforts and if those aren't good enough to show well the what is the point? I know everyone is encouraged to participate and "eventually you will figure out what the judges want" has been said to me often -- but really I want to figure that out now and then enter images I can be proud of. :/

Stan_Lawrence
08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
"I don't understand what that would teach me - to fail?"

That's actually a pretty good lesson.....you'd be in some really good company...Walt Disney, for one....get the judges critique, and you'll learn a ton. If you can sit in on the judging, even better. Enter locally if you can, and listen. Even Babe Ruth didn't hit 1000, nor did Barry Bonds. Just cause you didn't succeed with a print or two doesn't mean you failed. It's only a failure if you don't learn from it.....:cool:

Marc_Benjamin
08-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to post it here than to run it through locals? Hate to say it but we have more qualified and current judges chiming in here than most locals. Then again, we cant really judge print quality so it might actually still be reasonable to enter (as a beginner) local just to get familiarized on how your images display under lights.

Another school of thought is that at some point your gonna enter to win rather than to actually get critiques. When you transcend to that level, your gonna start to strategize on which categories you enter and then making choices of not entering so so images cause it will hurt your average. Also one develops strategies such as entering questionable portrait work in fine art just because it might score better there. Heck a lot of people that I know don't even venture into studio anymore cause we all know the fight is won at fine art/uncategorized lol!

Print competition has very different purposes.

Good luck!

David_A._Lottes
08-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi Cindi
Don't let the winners circle fool you. I know people who enter over a dozen prints at various local, state and regional levels before they send their best four to nationals. Just throw em out there and see what sticks to the wall. You'll learn a lot. :)

Babe Ruth struck out 1330 (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_times_did_Babe_Ruth_strike_out_in_his_car eer) times.

D._Craig_Flory
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys and Craig & Michael, I will definitely give your suggestions a try....

... but, I gotta ask... if its pretty clear an entry won't merrit, what education does one gain to enter the image anyway? I don't understand what that would teach me - to fail? I only want to show my very best efforts and if those aren't good enough to show well the what is the point? I know everyone is encouraged to participate and "eventually you will figure out what the judges want" has been said to me often -- but really I want to figure that out now and then enter images I can be proud of. :/

Hi Cindi;

I have a senior consultation in 10 minutes so I'll be brief.

As Stan said ... if you take advantage, and sit in on a competition, you will learn. If you then also go to the print critique you once again will learn even more. That is where one, or several, of the judges will point what they liked and what could have been better about your images. When you post a low-res image, on here, it only hints at what it will look like under the really bright mini-spotlights. It is good to believe in, and to be proud of, your work. But, till a panel of 5 Masters passes judgement you still don't know how your work measures up.

Cindi_Penrod
08-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the answers. I see the point that web-sized is hard to judge and eventhough I think better critiques are offered here than anywhere else - I suppose I still owe it to myself to let the judges have their say. I'm volunteering at the convention this year, so I will be able to listen to the critiqes.....

Anyway, I'm still pluggin along trying to find 6.....

Here's the next potential entry

Title: The Music Teacher
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/medium/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_571763.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
08-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi Cindi;

I like this one !!! I just finished a senior portrait consultation (and booked the session) and I'm about to close for the day. I'll look closer tomorrow. I do like B&W and I also love contrast.

andiegoodman
08-15-2007, 02:59 AM
"I don't understand what that would teach me - to fail?"

That's actually a pretty good lesson.....you'd be in some really good company...Walt Disney, for one....get the judges critique, and you'll learn a ton. If you can sit in on the judging, even better. Enter locally if you can, and listen. Even Babe Ruth didn't hit 1000, nor did Barry Bonds. Just cause you didn't succeed with a print or two doesn't mean you failed. It's only a failure if you don't learn from it.....:cool:

I agree with Stan. You can learn more from your mistakes than your successes. When you do enter these and more (you can enter 6, right), ask qualified judges as well as those who judged there for their opinion once all the prints are on display. You have some wonderful talent in the Jacksonville area, like the Ferros, as well as people from all over the state who can help you. If you want some names, PM me.

andie

Rob_Hoffman
08-15-2007, 03:12 AM
I am going to chime in here kind of late.

It bugs me sometimes on here when someone asks the almighty question, "is it competition worthy?" Every photograph we make is worth being judged on some level in my opinion. I personally have received scores across the entire spectrum, from 66 to 89. Would you care to venture a guess which I learned more from?

Really, think about it, if you are scoring sky high, what is left for you to learn or even for the judges to do other than tell you how great you are. If an image's competition worthiness is based on how many compliments and praises will be heaped upon it, then what is there to learn?

For me, I learn through finding out how things can be improved, and frankly, if it earns a merit there is not so much room for improvement and much less to be learned. If you are competing only for merits in an effort to earn a degree that is different, but before you get to there, in my opinion, you should have a good grasp on whether you are consistently able to produce merit level images. Until then, I think every image is competition worthy because the learning experience can prove more valuable than any.

Hope that didn't sound too harsh---it wasn't meant to.

Michael_Gan
08-15-2007, 04:47 AM
For me, I learn through finding out how things can be improved, and frankly, if it earns a merit there is not so much room for improvement and much less to be learned. If you are competing only for merits in an effort to earn a degree that is different, but before you get to there, in my opinion, you should have a good grasp on whether you are consistently able to produce merit level images.
Lots of trains of thoughts here. There are several schools of thought pertaining to the merit images and obtaining a dgree. Most of this has been discussed in the Masters Forum, but that thread is so big, it will take a while to wade through all of it.

Thought one: Even if you earn a merit, there's always a loftier goal of hanging the images in loan. Then, there's even a loftier goal to go 4 for 4 in the loan images. Then, when you reach your Masters, there is the imaging excellence award (15 loan images) and, in my opinion, the holy grail of the Fellowship to ASP (American Society of Photographers). So, PPA has a way to keep you learning in the process of personal excellence.

Thought two: Photographic leadership. Many masters "take their degree and run" and those are the ones who others complain that their stuff "looks like poo (the "c" word might get bounced:)). I'm in the camp where I want to expand my horizons and contribute to changing the standards of excellence. Not to make it harder for the next generation of would be masters, but to make the competition imagery more imaginative. For me, it's almost like starting over again with the 78's and 79's, but it will develope into the 80's and 90's once I a) get the judges trained with my new style (fat chance, LOL) or, b) improve my project to an absolute WOW factor. That's my personal mission in my photographic life right now....I want that F-ASP degree.

I do, however have a pet peeve: the portrait photographers who gain their Masters with landscapes. I really think that back dooring a degree is not being honest with yourselves, or your clients. You should be getting that masters because you care about the excellence that you can give to your clients every single day.

Marc_Benjamin
08-15-2007, 06:19 AM
I do, however have a pet peeve: the portrait photographers who gain their Masters with landscapes. I really think that back dooring a degree is not being honest with yourselves, or your clients. You should be getting that masters because you care about the excellence that you can give to your clients every single day.

Can we include portrait photographers who get theirs through Flowers and Insects?

Funny, my all time dream is to turn masters via head and shoulders and or albums! But alas I'm still to chicken for that!

Cindi_Penrod
08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey guys. What an interesting conversation going on here. While I can see both camp's points of view - I'll throw my own humble opinion in here just to stir the pot.....

I am a competitve persion, I compete in many arenas including photography. I have been entering photographic competitions for several years and yes, they have helped me to improve my work dramatically. Each time I felt winning was a bit too easy, I've set my goals higher. My current goals include achieving my Masters, which is why my original post did not say "is this competition worthy" rather "will this merrit". I participate in my local guild in Jacksonville and have spent time with several members in the area looking at their merrited prints and trying to figure out what makes one merrit and another not. I still don't have a full grasp of that concept yet... and that is why I asked for opinions here. To me - competing against the best in the industry is an intimidating challenge, but one I think I'm ready to attack. Why compete if you aren't going to compete against the best? And yes - I would like to do well for my own self esteem!
I still don't see the value in paying to enter a competition that I have no chance of succeeding with - but if there is a chance - I'm willing to take it.

Anyway, enough rambling from me.... I re-edited both my first 2 shots and they look much better - thanks for the suggestions! The 3rd one, I only tweeked a bit. Now working on #4....... :)

Rob_Hoffman
08-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I am sorry if you took offense at all to my post Cindi. It was not meant that way at all. You mention succeeding, and I think that success in a print competition can be defined in many ways. Maybe that is what I was getting at more than anything. If success for you is only reaching a merit level, then you know what you are competing for. But success for many could simply be learning a way to take an image that scores a 70 and learn ways to raise that to 75, and then to 78, and then to 80....you get my point I hope.

I guess I am trying to say that entering print competition, like so much else in life, can be a venture in which you can get back as much as you put into it.

Again though, sorry if you felt like I took your original post out of context or that I was putting words in your mouth.

Cindi_Penrod
08-15-2007, 03:04 PM
LOL, Rob, of course I was not offended by your post. I'm not the type to take things so seriously. :)

I agree that people enter competitions for different reasons, just wanted to clarify mine (in my rambling way). I really appreciate the time you took to enlighten me about other people's reason for entering as it gives me a better perspective on the whole process. I'm excited to start entering and see how I fare. I may be dissapointed this time around - and if so - you'd better bet I'll be in again next time with more determination and improved images. :D

David_A._Lottes
08-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I still don't see the value in paying to enter a competition that I have no chance of succeeding with - but if there is a chance - I'm willing to take it.

Hi Cindi
Look at it this way. There were something like 5000 prints entered in this years national. Something like 2000 got merits. If all 5000 of them got merits the merits wouldn't mean anything. Paying the fees and participating (win, place or show) keeps the competition alive. The makers of the merit prints owe the makers of the unhung prints a thank you for their financial support. Those print case fees help pay for the space, judges, display racks and everything else it takes to stage the exhibition. The exhibit may be a showcase of the judes choices but it belongs to all of us who enter, we all deserve credit for it and have a right to be proud of it. It's a group effort. :)

Cindi_Penrod
08-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey, David,

Excellent points, thank you. It IS a group effort, I appreciate that. You guys rock.

Don_Chick
08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
\I do, however have a pet peeve: the portrait photographers who gain their Masters with landscapes.

I agree! As a portrait photographer it is important to me to get awards/merits with portraits.

Don_Chick
08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Then, when you reach your Masters, there is the imaging excellence award (15 loan images)

I though it was 13 loans for Imaging Excellence...

Linda_Gregory
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Well, my goal is to get a merit with a portrait image and that's not my field...yet. It is a challenge I've set up for myself and we'll see how it goes.

I know it'll be a learning experience and fun and I also know I won't be competing against other photographers but standards set for all photographers.

The thing that came as a shock my first competition...when I knew nothing about any of it...was they didn't care about the difficulty level, they only cared about the end result. What an eye opener! That's kinda how the customer feels/thinks, too.

Onward and upward! My ultimate goal is to get my masters as I learn. I want it to mean something to me. :)

Uh, thanks in advance for all the advice you guys will be giving out to me later! :)

Auralee_Dallas
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I agree that it seems odd to get a Master's degree for work other than portraits when you are a portrait photographer. Some of us are both--portrait and fine art (exibiting in galleries, licensing images, selling posters and prints, etc.) Each year I enter half portraits and half other. I've never had a portrait merit on the national level, although have in state. So if I ever get a merit for a portrait, it will mean a lot.
Secondly, if there is any way possible, I think it would be best to start your competition at the affiliate level or state level and then go to nationals. Preparing competition prints is costly and if you can get feedback once or twice on how to improve, that's great. Also the critique from PPA is not very extensive, rather short, and only is about your images, so attending a judging, buying a CD of a judging, or entering on the affiliate level gives you a lot of bang for the buck. Calif state comp does a CD and it is VERY helpful (thank you Stewart Schulze) because you see the other images too and hear the critiques.

I can't say enough about how well the people on this forum have helped print comp participants with critiques. We all do get close to our images and I for one would rather have the qualified people here say they doubt it would merit and WHY, than for me to spend a lot of money to send a case and maybe get 1 minute or less comentary, or just a number and no information at all.

Michael_Gan
08-15-2007, 11:13 PM
I though it was 13 loans for Imaging Excellence...
Wow, I hope so, that makes me two loans closer( six more to go)! LOL

D._Craig_Flory
08-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Michael;

Why stop there ? Aspire to getting the National Award as well.

Michael_Gan
08-16-2007, 04:24 AM
F-ASP baby, all the way ;)

Cindi_Penrod
08-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Well uhm, not to interupt, but some visual interest while we chat....

Title: 3 Year Survivor
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/medium/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_572400.jpg
(this one look familiar?)

Title: Broadway Babes
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/medium/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_572305.jpg

While I'm enjoying the debate, I wonder if I can get some input on some of these images... I have to send to printers tomorrow.....

Michael, I'm so jealous - wish I was at that end of the trail! :)

Cindi_Penrod
08-16-2007, 05:03 AM
For what its worth, here is the re-edits of the first two..

http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/medium/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_572307.jpg

http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/medium/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_572308.jpg

Mark_Levesque
08-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Survivor of what? (I always ask the questions that everyone else wants to ask, but don't dare.) :)

Liz_Vance
08-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Cindi - I love that elephant shot. (I meant to tell you before, but I forgot.) :)

-e

D._Craig_Flory
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
F-ASP baby, all the way ;)

Hi Michael;

.... plus so many Kodak Gallery award and Fuji Masterpiece award pins that you run out of space to pin them on your Masters Medalion ribbon. You have to buy a sash to start putting the rest on.

D._Craig_Flory
08-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi Cindi;

The 3 year survivor image is exquisite ! On the dogs ... my first thought for a title was "Yahooo , she likes me" ! I like it a lot.

The elephants look good. I like the changes on the leaping lady on the beach. She really stands out now ... good job !!!

Cindi_Penrod
08-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Survivor of what? (I always ask the questions that everyone else wants to ask, but don't dare.) :)

Mark, you're the inquiring type aren't you? :D

Well..... its a self portrait only because I'm the only model I can ever find when i feel like shooting at 2am. The original title of the image was 'Survivor', but last night while I was editing it, I thought if I made that a more emotional title.......

3 years ago I walked away from a very comfortable lifestyle and with my children, struck out on my own hundreds of miles from friends and family. I have been a very happy woman since. :)

Thanks so much for your comments, Craig & Liz. I guess I've screwed up all the courage I can get and will send them to the printer today.

Please if anyone else can offer any suggestions for improvements I would love to hear them before Miller's gets these.

Keith_A_Howe
08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Cindi, First congratulations on taking that big step three years ago and finding happiness. However this is one of those titles that mean something to you but will just confuse a panel of judges. They don't know the back story and this image doesn't portray a women who necessarily looks like she has overcome challenges, even though you know that is the case. The judges will just be confused. What I see here is a woman with a little mystery, who has a secret, who is hiding something ( hence the veil) but is encouraging you (the flirty eyes and smile) to come closer and figure out what it is. IMO a title that portrays those ideas will be a better choice for this image. Like maybe "Wanna Know a Secret?"

Also I think the elephants need a much darker brown matting. Right now the color around the image is too light and draws my eyes away from the subject. I think - if it is tack sharp on the elephants so you see all the texture of the skin - it has a good shot at meriting.

The jumping girl, while a fun image, IMO will probably not merit at an affliate judging. Two main issues I see, first it was taken at the wrong time of day when the sun was practically overhead. This is obvious from the shadow falling directly beneath her and the harsh quality of light on her skin. Also it is cropped too tight. She is going to hit the side of the image before she ever touches down. I think this is a good concept and worth repeating at a later or earlier time of day with a lot more room around the image.

The dogs, again a very cute idea but it has some challenges. The folds in the background are too busy and distracting. The white collum on the floor is out of key with the background and takes attention away from the white dog. also, photographing directly into the stomache of a dog is usually not the most flattering angle. The plant in the background - as a judge I would just ask why is it even there. The story is great but the execution will hold it back. Put this image in your studio window and it will draw a lot of attention, but I don't think it will merit.

The music teacher image - Nothing about this image says music teacher except the words you have added to the background, and as a judge I wouldn't get how those words were important to the image or how they related to her. I like her pose except that she seems to be holding it a little too stiffly. Have her relax into the chair a bit, so she looks like she is actually sitting in it, not just balanced on it. Then make this a long verticle slimline with her at the bottom, so her face tilted up is looking into all that negative space above her. Then give it a title that suggests she is daydreaming of the future. If you want to add something in the background, instead of those music words, add very faint ghost images or words describing of the kinds of things a young woman might be dreaming of like career, travel, marriage, children etc etc.

JMO
Keith

P.S. Also on the music teacher image, her arms are much much darker than her chest and face. That extreme difference is something that the panel will probably jump on. FWIW

Michael_Gan
08-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm going to echo what Keith said, and what I said about the brown. Go deaper. Grab the color of the shadow detail in the elephants and make your border that same color. Forget about the texture effect, the elephants need to stand on their own.

On the lower left corner, there is a "green splooch" on the image? is that on the print or some weird anomoly? get rid of it if it is in the image.

Love your self portrait. Just understand me if we ever meet someday and I keep staring at your eyes :D

Cindi_Penrod
08-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Thank you, Keith & Michael! That's just the critique I needed. I changed the background color on the elephant shot and removed the "green splooch" lol and made a couple of tweaks to the self portrait. I'm throwing the others out for now. Down to 4 hours before I need to send to printers - gotta love procrastinating! :D

Don_Chick
08-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi Michael;

.... plus so many Kodak Gallery award and Fuji Masterpiece award pins that you run out of space to pin them on your Masters Medalion ribbon.

I don't think it's legal to put anything on your PPA ribbon except official PPA pins (CPP pin, POY pins, National pin, plus XXV bands, and a couple other pieces of PPA sanctioned hardware).

now back to the regularly scheduled thread...

Don_Chick
08-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Down to 4 hours before I need to send to printers - gotta love procrastinating! :D

Did this myself for the NH competition back in April. Started to edit the files at 9 am on Monday worked through the night and was uploading the files at 5 am Tuesday! In NH you can enter up to 6. Got sick from the exhaustion.....

And what did I learn from this.... nothing, I'll likely do it again next year!

D._Craig_Flory
08-16-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't think it's legal to put anything on your PPA ribbon except official PPA pins (CPP pin, POY pins, National pin, plus XXV bands, and a couple other pieces of PPA sanctioned hardware).

now back to the regularly scheduled thread...

Hi Don;

There are dozens of Masters I'll have to tell then. And if I ever win any, I now know not to pin them on my Craftsman ribbon or you will turn me in. :o

D._Craig_Flory
08-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Did this myself for the NH competition back in April. Started to edit the files at 9 am on Monday worked through the night and was uploading the files at 5 am Tuesday! In NH you can enter up to 6. Got sick from the exhaustion.....

And what did I learn from this.... nothing, I'll likely do it again next year!

Hi Don;

So, did you also put a final coat of spray lacquer in the room next to the judging ? I used to get a big headache when I was on the print committee from photogs. doing that. :p

Linda_Gregory
08-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi Don;

So, did you also put a final coat of spray lacquer in the room next to the judging ? I used to get a big headache when I was on the print committee from photogs. doing that. :p

Hooray for lamination! No more stink.

Cindi_Penrod
08-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks to all who added their input here. The discussion has been very good for me since I know nothing of the print competition process besides what I've read and what I've been told by a few locals. I'm always hungry for more info. I got my shots off to Millers, may they come back splendid!! :D

I wasn't sure if the elephant shot should be printed metallic or not, so I ordered it both ways.... but I have a funny feeling metallic is the way to go with that one.

Again, many thanks to this fine community.

D._Craig_Flory
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Cindi;

I have a friend who used to always order 3 copies of each competition image. The 2nd one was in case one got damaged. (possibly between sending to a regional and sending to PPA) The 3rd one was for when they got picked for the loan collection and he didn't get them back - he still had it to display for when they kept them. Oh, BTW. They guy was a Master Craftsman and was that good too !

So my wish for you is this - you soon need to order at least one extra copy for when your images get picked for the loan collection.

Cindi_Penrod
08-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Gotta love that kind of confidence, Craig! Thanks, I hope I'll need a spare one day too!

D._Craig_Flory
08-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Cindi;

Once you reach that plateau, will you still know and talk to us ? :rolleyes:

Cindi_Penrod
08-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi Cindi;

Once you reach that plateau, will you still know and talk to us ? :rolleyes:

Heck no! I'll be too high & mighty by then. I'll have people to post to online boards for me. ;D

Don_Chick
08-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Don;

Craig,

No the lab shipped them back to me all sprayed. It's not actually the lacquer that smell bad when I get them, it's the marker used to blacken the edge of the art board - stinks to high heaven!!!

I mentioned the stuff on the PPA ribbon as I heard someone saying that they have to take their non-PPA hardware off the ribbon whenever they know they will run into this particular PPA past-president! What you do with your ribbon on your own time is up to you!!! :D :D

D._Craig_Flory
08-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Craig,
I mentioned the stuff on the PPA ribbon as I heard someone saying that they have to take their non-PPA hardware off the ribbon whenever they know they will run into this particular PPA past-president! What you do with your ribbon on your own time is up to you!!! :D :D

Hi Don;

If & when I'm lucky enough to win a gallery or masterpiece I'll contact you to see which ex PPA prez that was before I pin them on my Craftsman ribbon. :D Considering that a fairly recent prez is from near me here in Pa., I don't want to run into her at a state meeting and get chewed out. ;)

Michael_Gan
08-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Don;

If & when I'm lucky enough to win a gallery or masterpiece I'll contact you to see which ex PPA prez that was before I pin them on my Craftsman ribbon. :D Considering that a fairly recent prez is from near me here in Pa., I don't want to run into her at a state meeting and get chewed out. ;)
LOL, well since you mentioned a "her" that narrows the field to Helen, Ann, or Marvelle :D

David_A._Lottes
08-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey! why does everybody forget Vangie Parker! She was the first woman prez and she's still alive dag nab it!

D._Craig_Flory
08-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi David;

I did say fairly recent. And, since Helen Yancy just did a program, on Corel Painter, here in Pa. two years ago and never scolded anyone about pins on their ribbons I know it's not her. Anyone who looks up where I live will know who I was alluding to. ;)

Don_Chick
08-17-2007, 11:04 PM

I didn't say it was a woman, Craig said the "her" word!!!! :eek: :eek:

andiegoodman
08-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi Michael;

Why stop there ? Aspire to getting the National Award as well.

The National Award isn't given for photographic excellence, rather for service to the photographic community. One does not need to be a photographer to receive it.

D._Craig_Flory
08-18-2007, 11:53 AM
The National Award isn't given for photographic excellence, rather for service to the photographic community. One does not need to be a photographer to receive it.

Good morning Andie';

Yes, I know that. In Pa. most all who have won it went "through the chairs" and served as state prez. But we have also had those who weren't photographers get it too. It's a great ceremony when all former recipients line up before the winner is announced. And, if the PPA president is at the awards banquet it's even more memorable for the recipient. It is, after all, the highest honor anyone in photography, in any capacity, can be awarded.

Michael_Gan
08-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey! why does everybody forget Vangie Parker! She was the first woman prez and she's still alive dag nab it!
Oops, my bad

Michael_Gan
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi David;

I did say fairly recent. And, since Helen Yancy just did a program, on Corel Painter, here in Pa. two years ago and never scolded anyone about pins on their ribbons I know it's not her. Anyone who looks up where I live will know who I was alluding to. ;)
hehe, does her husband happen to smoke a pipe and fly fish? ;)

D._Craig_Flory
08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
hehe, does her husband happen to smoke a pipe and fly fish? ;)

Hi Michael;

I don't know about that but he does wear a cowboy hat and has a studio in the country built in an old Pa. Dutch barn. ;)