PDA

View Full Version : CC: Anticipation

Marc_Benjamin
08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Ok guys,

Here's the possible second out of four for next years nationals.

http://www.kickstep.com/forums/Anticipation.jpg

What say you?

D._Craig_Flory
08-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Marc;

I like the colors ... and the wide angle distortion is interesting. I have some questions: given the small posted size ... it looks like she has mutton chop sideburns. I'm pretty sure who doesn't but - it appears that way. Could you post a bigger size so detail in her face is clearer ?

Did you put her in the center on purpose instead of on one of the quadrants ? Do you have a potential title that possibly explains that position ?

Derek_Alvarez
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Marc,

I like this overall image but (and this is a personal thing) I do not like that she is squared off to the camera. Having said that for this image it works except now her head is turn:o

Keith_A_Howe
08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Marc,

I like the bullseye composition for this particular image. It is one of those times when breaking the "rule" works to your advantage. But I don't see this meriting because of two challenges. First and most important is the light on the bride's face. The shadow pattern is causing those mutton chops that D. Craig refered to. I am less concerned about those - although they are a problem - then I am with the bright light striking the her forehead. Next I agree with Derek about her body placement in relationship to the camera. It is very square and static, no twists to create curves. It makes her look wider than she probably is and the choice of lens emphazies that. I like the lens choice in this location, just need to handle her pose a little differently.

To rookies ( cause I know Marc knows this) notice how by placing her dead center the leading lines of the ceiling lead you right to the subject. If you extended those lines they would meet about at her chest. This could be improved a little more if those imaginary extended lines met at her face and then if the light was striking the mask of her face instead of her forehead. In this particular situation, if Marc wants to use only the available light, then he would have to turn her face upwards to have it strike the mask of the face instead of the top of her head. If you can't move the light source , move the face. When you tip her face up to the light, her body will have to shift to accomadate that upward glance, and then you have the twists and curves in her body that we like to see.

Marc, this is one of those prints that is just so close. I would punch my most hated score "79" because it truly is a print (IMO) that just misses. Thanks for posting it, cause I think it is a great learning image to illustrate leading lines and appropiate centered composition. If you decide to go ahead with this print, I suggest cropping it to a square. Cut some off the ceiling just to that horizontal band and a little off the floor to bring it into a square. That will emphazise the intentional centered composition and the leading lines of the ceiling and the carpet runner on the floor.

Keith

David_A._Lottes
08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Marc
I don't know that this will fly in comp. But I really like it. Maybe it's because I stepped into one this morning but there is something about this image that reminds me of a spider web. In fact it reminds me of a Robert Frost poem that features a spider. The curvature of the doors, lights etc all echo the somewhat squared off angles of a spider's web and her placement in the center of the web is perfect (if that's what you were going for). The leading lines seem to "hang" from the corners as if attached there to suspend the image on the canvas. Her placement in a Hallway rather than a beautiful setting further reminds me of Frost's poem because his spider chose an unusual flower to lay it's trap on. The poem is titled Design (http://titan.iwu.edu/~wchapman/americanpoetryweb/frodesan.html)

I'd call this image "Welcome to my Parlor". :D

Marc_Benjamin
08-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi Marc; I like the colors ... and the wide angle distortion is interesting. I have some questions: given the small posted size ... it looks like she has mutton chop sideburns. I'm pretty sure who doesn't but - it appears that way. Could you post a bigger size so detail in her face is clearer ?

Hi Craig,

Here's a cut out of the full size head

http://www.kickstep.com/forums/Anticipation_Close.jpg

Now the reason that I don't do quads for this type of image is that the symmetry all goes center and is exactly the same within the image itself. I've tried moving it around but I don't feel that it's as strong. It might work if I change the crop a bit. I'm trying to see if I could fall in love with a square as Kieth suggested.

Kieth,

I'm seriously considering of going back there and re-doing the head tilt! Oh and shoulder drop... Just for you Derek!

Derek_Alvarez
08-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Marc

It seems I editted your post I'm sorry Please Post the image again

I was trying to quote you and the Edit button is next to the Quote button

So sorry!!!! I'm a DA

Marc_Benjamin
08-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Marc, It seems I editted your post...

You've been edditing my post? Good lord! See now I know why I keep getting hate mails for my supposed "smart ***" comments.

Derek_Alvarez
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Sorry Dude It was just this thread.:(
as for the hate mail please forward it to me I'm used to it!