PDA

View Full Version : For anyone looking to take the exam

D._Craig_Flory
08-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi group;

I will once again be giving the certification exam. It will be on Sunday September 30th at 10:30AM at the PPAofPa meeting. The location, as always, is the Penn Harris Radison in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. (right across the river from our state capitol of Harrisburg) We are having a terrific two with Michael Redford as our speaker. You can pay a fee to stay and attend his program if you like. Go to www.ppaofpa.org for more info.

Please not only set it up with PPA but also let me know you will be taking it. Call my studio at (717) 838-9087 Or e-mail floryphotog@mindspring.com. If you just want information I'd be happy to help.

D._Craig_Flory
08-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi group;

The exam date I'm next giving the test was just listed in the PPA newsletter. Any questions or, if you want to take it on Sunday September 30th, please e-mail me or call the studio. floryphotog@mindspring.com //
(717) 838-9087

Stephanie_Millner
08-14-2007, 08:33 PM
i have a question, Craig. do you have to take the exam before you submit the pictures or do you have to submit the images first - or does it not matter what order?

Mark_Levesque
08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Order independent.

D._Craig_Flory
08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Stephanie;

Mark is correct. It doesn't matter which you do 1st. Most do the exam first if only to see if they pass or not. When they pass they then worry about prints.

MaryHenry
08-22-2007, 03:24 AM
What happens if prints are all accepted or you don't pass the test on the first try?

Mark_Levesque
08-22-2007, 04:14 AM
You get two years to get both parts completed.

D._Craig_Flory
08-22-2007, 04:04 PM
What happens if prints are all accepted or you don't pass the test on the first try?

Hi Mary;

Several years ago one of our members passed the exam on his 4th try ! He got a standing ovation at our next state meeting. So don't give up if you don't pass on the 1st try.

Karen_Linsley
08-22-2007, 04:13 PM
I took the written first and passed it. I thought it was going to be easier to pass the image review than it was the written exam. Turned out to be just the opposite. But you do get two years to complete the process.

D._Craig_Flory
09-08-2007, 05:21 PM
So far I have 3 signed up to take the exam. It's only 3 weeks till September 30th. So if you want to take it, or have been thinking about it, please contact PPA first thing next week to schedule a test. Then contact me so I know you are coming. floryphotog@mindspring.com OR call (717)838-9087

D._Craig_Flory
09-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi group;

I just got confirmation ... one more photographer will be taking the C.P.P., exam from me, on Sunday September 30th. And just like last year, when Karen Linsley flew in from Lake Tahoe, this photographer will be flying here to Pa. to take it ... and staying for the two days of programs.

There is still a little time. Is there anyone else who wants to take the certification exam ? Let me know PDQ / ASAP / without delay.

D._Craig_Flory
09-30-2007, 11:20 PM
I gave the C.P.P. Exam this morning to 5 photographers ... including Cindi McDaniel from the PPA Forum. She stayed for all of the programs today and then is flying out tomorrpw. So everyone knows ... she is a sweetie !!!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
10-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Yeah, that's me... I'm a sweetie, but Craig is a sweetie too! He even brought me a HERSHEY BAR to prove it!! Thanks for all your support Craig. By the way, my Dad is doing fine... Details coming soon!!

D._Craig_Flory
10-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I will be giving the Certification Exam in February at our next Pa. state assn. meeting. Details to follow closer to then. I gave it to 5 this time. Let's double that amount next time.

Greg_Avalos
10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
what is the best value study material for the written exam?

D._Craig_Flory
10-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi Greg;

Here is the path for the certification site. The recommended book for study is listed ... Photography'. It's rather expensive new but you can look, on the net, for a used copy. You can try some sample questions there also.

http://certifiedphotographer.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Stephanie_Millner
10-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Another question...

Can you use an image of the same couple if one is their wedding and the other is their engagement? Or is that the same job?

Also, what about using shoots that you didn't charge for, but pictures were purchased?

David_A._Lottes
10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Can you use an image of the same couple if one is their wedding and the other is their engagement? Or is that the same job?

In my book that's two separate jobs but I think you'd be better off not to use the same couple twice. Don't know why I say that, just seems like a variety would be better than a wedding from this couple, an engagement from this couple, a family portrait with this couple in it, a commercial image with the same couple as models, see where I'm going. I don't think it would be wrong, but I think it would come off like your relying on their look more than your skill.

Also, what about using shoots that you didn't charge for, but pictures were purchased?

If I understand correctly the images should be proportionate to your photography income. If one out of twenty images are from non commissioned images that sold as stock or fine art or whatever then you'd be telling the panel that 5% of your photography income is non commissioned. If that's accurate, go for it. :)

KirkDarling
10-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Another question...

I agree with David, but a bit more so. I think you should go for completely separate clients to be more than safe.

Karen_Linsley
10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Yep, don't use the same couple...even though one is an engagement and one the wedding, I suspect the judges would consider it the same job.

Stephanie_Cunningham
11-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I will be giving the Certification Exam in February at our next Pa. state assn. meeting. Details to follow closer to then. I gave it to 5 this time. Let's double that amount next time.

I didn't realize there was an exam sooner and closer than in New Hampshire in April. Will be looking for details and studying all part of this winter then!
Stephanie

Mark_Levesque
11-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Yes, but can they top NH's recent passing rate, huh? :D

Sam_Sarkis
12-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I am really interest to take the certified exam, any inforamtion will help. Thank you

Sam Sarkis

Sam_Sarkis
12-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I am really interesting in the exam, need more information. Thank you

Sam Sarkis
www.samsarkisphotography.com

Betsy_Finn
12-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Sam,

The certification exam will be offered during the PPM (Michigan) 2008 annual convention :).

D._Craig_Flory
12-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi Sam;

I will be giving the exam on Sunday February 10th, @ 10:30AM, at our state association 1st meeting of 2008. Go to www.ppaofpa.org for information on where our meetings are held. I'll also give it in April, June, and October.

Kelly_Dobson
12-29-2007, 10:06 PM
What format is the test? Is it multiple choice or essay??? Do you know if you pass right away or are the results mailed to you?

D._Craig_Flory
12-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi Kelly;

The questions are multiple choice and you have two hours.

I fed-ex all exams back to PPA in Atlanta and they are graded there. Normally you will get your results within about two weeks. I never see the tests ... either before or after they are done.

D._Craig_Flory
01-04-2008, 03:00 PM
I got a call today from a photographer to sign up to take the exam from me on February 10th. So, who is going to call, or e-mail me, next to sign up ?

D._Craig_Flory
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
As of this weekend, there are only 4 weeks till I give the Certification Exam, on February 10th. If you are interested, contact PPA as soon as possible to sign up and have a test made for you. You also need to contact me at floryphotog@mindspring.com OR (717) 838-9087 so I can keep track of how big a room I'll need.

Don_Chick
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread away from Craig, but the title is "anyone looking to take the exam".

I will be offering the exam at the NH Conference in April (Monday, the 28th). If you come to NH you can also meet a bunch of the folks on ourppa.

Jeff Dachowski
Mark Levesque
George Hawkins
Nylora Bruleigh
Barry Hayes
Jane Lydick Staid

& Me!!!

Mark_Levesque
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
And Jane Lydick Staid. Seems to me there's someone else we're missing, too.

Don_Chick
01-11-2008, 06:41 PM
And Jane Lydick Staid. Seems to me there's someone else we're missing, too.

The bonus members - Your wife and Jeff's wife!!!

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM
It is only two weeks till I'll be giving the Certification Exam here in Pennsylvania as of today. If anyone has been thinking about coming here to take it ... call PPA this week to sign up, pay the fee, and have an exam prepared. Then contact me so I know who is coming and how big a room I'll need.

D._Craig_Flory
02-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I now have the final tally. Four photographers from Pa., and surrounding states, will be taking the certification exam with me on Sunday. I already have one I know will be taking it on April 20th ... the next time I'll be giving it.

D._Craig_Flory
02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I gave the C.P.P. exam this morning to 3 photographers ... one never showed up. I will now give it again on Sunday April 20th.

Elizabeth_Pokela
02-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Is the exam given at every state affiliate convention? Mine is NC, and SEPPA is combined this year I think? That's in March --or I can come to PA. Where would I fly into?

Elizabeth

Mark_Levesque
02-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Come to NH. Well, only if you want a good time and learning, and a great print competition, and speakers, and parties, and camaraderie. That sort of thing.

Elizabeth_Pokela
02-13-2008, 01:19 AM
I went to camp on Lake Winnipesaukee (did I spell it right?) for 4 years and I love NH. When is it? I'm always up for travel--and I can convince the rest of my family to go north for sports!

And of course, you *must* be one of those fabulous speakers . . . I still have major LR/system issues. I may send you a PM on the subject.

Don_Chick
02-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Elizabeth,

Your welcome to come to NH. Bring the whole family. The way is keeps snowing around here we'll have enough snow for skiing well into July!

Check out this thread for more on the NH Conference.

http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10478

I will be giving the Certification exam on Sunday, April 27th.

Elizabeth_Pokela
02-13-2008, 01:33 AM
That's the day before my birthday . . . I think I have to see Springsteen in concert on the 28th in Raleigh. I'll have to check the "calendar of Fun 2008" as my husband calls it. Would love to be there, as long as I can be back for "Brucesteen" as my oldest used to call him . . .

Elizabeth

Mark_Levesque
02-13-2008, 02:15 AM
I went to camp on Lake Winnipesaukee (did I spell it right?)
OMG, you did!

And of course, you *must* be one of those fabulous speakers . . . I still have major LR/system issues. I may send you a PM on the subject.
Yes, but not then. I'll be conducting a Super Monday a few weeks before convention, and another full day program which I think D Craig might have mentioned ;) in PA the tuesday before convention. But at convention, I will be in learning mode. Hope you are fully healed by then.

If you have LR "issues", feel free to contact me.

D._Craig_Flory
02-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Is the exam given at every state affiliate convention? Mine is NC, and SEPPA is combined this year I think? That's in March --or I can come to PA. Where would I fly into?

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth;

I not only give the exam at our convention (October) I also give it at our other three 2 day regular meetings, as well. Most people, who travel to Pa. to take, it sign up and stay for our line up of speakers as well. Check out who we are having for our April 20th and 21st meeting. www.ppaofpa.org . And, for our additional PPA C.P.P. group's program we are having Mark Levesque teaching Adobe Lightroom - so you could still see him. I will be giving the exam at 10:30AM on Sunday April 20th. In case you want to ask them what it's like taking the exam here and attending our meetings ... Karen Linsely came here from Lake Tahoe. And, Cindi K. McDaniel came here from Alabama.

We would love to have you come here. Our meetings are about 20 to 30 minutes from Chocolate Town USA - Hershey too !!! Please e-mail me with any questions you may have. floryphotog@mindspring.com

Heather_L._Smith
02-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Okay, silly question, but I'm planning to take the exam in NH in April. I just need to let PPA know that that's where I'm taking it, right? I haven't sent my application in yet, so I'm guessing it's probably on the form...

D._Craig_Flory
02-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Okay, silly question, but I'm planning to take the exam in NH in April. I just need to let PPA know that that's where I'm taking it, right? I haven't sent my application in yet, so I'm guessing it's probably on the form...

Hi Heather;

You also need to contact the C.P.P. Liaison there so they know as well. For me, I always need to let me state group's prez know how big a room I need.

Don_Chick
02-22-2008, 01:43 PM

I am not sure if it's on the form or not but you need to notify PPA as to where you want to take the exam. They will (in this case, me!) send the exam to the liaison for the exam date prior to the testing session.

Don
CPP liaison - NH

P.S. we have plenty of space for the exam. You should also bring a bunch of pencils with the right answers!!

Heather_L._Smith
02-22-2008, 01:51 PM
You should also bring a bunch of pencils with the right answers!!

Uh-oh. Do you think it would be obvious if I spent a good portion of my testing time studying the writing on my pencil? You wouldn't notice, would you Don?

Oh, okay... another silly question... I know Mark said we can bring in a calculator, but is there any chance there's scratch paper available in the testing room - or is there space somewhere on the testing paper to write/scribble on?

Fortunately for me, I haven't had time to get stressed out about print comp (although I am entering in NH)... I've spent too much time getting amped up about this doggone test! Ugh... it's like taking the SAT's!

Don_Chick
02-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Oh, okay... another silly question... I know Mark said we can bring in a calculator, but is there any chance there's scratch paper available in the testing room - or is there space somewhere on the testing paper to write/scribble on?

You can bring a calculator, basic 4 banger... +,-,x,./. ... Not one of those fancy ones w/ a gaziiion features. They don't want to have anyone bringing in answers programmed in their calculator. You are also supposed to have a photo id. That way I know you are not sending in Mark to take the test for you!

You can use the back of the test for any "scratch paper" needs. You have a separate answer sheet.

Don't get all stressed about it...

D._Craig_Flory
02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Heather;

Right before I tell everyone they can open their exams I tell them it's ok to let out a big scream. I got that from a Mark Harmon movie "Summer School". As the teacher, he was about to start an exam and one kid let out a huge scream. The kid said "stress buster, had to be done". :p I always get laughs as well as the desired result. Everyone has the butterflies leave. So if Don will allow it ... let out a big scream.

Mark_Levesque
02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I didn't know you could take in a calculator last year when I took the test, but if you can only use it for basic functions, it's hardly a help.

And the exam is printed one sided, so you always have the back of the previous page for scratch paper. So use it to write down a color wheel and standard f stops and you'll find that to be very useful indeed.

Heather_L._Smith
02-22-2008, 02:43 PM
So use it to write down a color wheel and standard f stops and you'll find that to be very useful indeed.

Oh, good... that's exactly what I need!!

Cindi_Delaney
02-25-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm very new to all of this. I live in Nevada. Is there ever a test given in NV?

Don_Chick
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
The contact info for the Nevada liaison is ...Sue Altenburg 702-252-7557

Call her and ask.

I don't know if that info is current but got it from http://certifiedphotographer.com/documents/CertLiaisons.pdf

D._Craig_Flory
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi Cindi;

Welcome to the Forum. Don gave you an answer for who to call.

I wanted to point out to you that Forum member Karen Linsley is in the process of trying to form a new PPA group for Nevada. The old one folded. Here is her thread about that.

http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9361&highlight=Nevada

When Karen wanted to take the C.P.P. exam she came here to Pa. to take it with me. You can ask her if there is still a liaison for Nevada and if Don's info is current.

Karen_Linsley
02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm very new to all of this. I live in Nevada. Is there ever a test given in NV?

Hi Cindi!

Welcome to Ourppa! I am not aware of any exams ever given in Nevada, I tried to reach the contact listed on the web site when I took my exam, and no one ever returned my call or email. That's why I flew all the way to PA to take it with Craig! I had a ball! But if you are wanting to take the exam, best thing to do is go to the PPA web site in the certified section and see if there is someone close in a neighboring state that might be giving it. I know Craig does regularly, as does Michael Gan in the SF Bay Area, but there might be someone closer to you.

Craig; I'm afraid Cindi is too far away to want to be a part of our group, she is in Southern Nevada, I'm in Northern. It's about 500 miles.

Don_Chick
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Cindi can come to NH for the testing session we are having at the NH Conference in North Conway.

Fly into MHT (Manchester, NH) and head north to North Conway... We've got a bunch of ourppa folks already planning to attend. It will be a fun time...

Check out nhppa.com for our Conference flyer.

Cindi_Delaney
02-25-2008, 11:17 PM
WOW! Thanks so much for everyone's answers.
I'm not even close to ready for the test.
I just got started and while I've been a photographer for years, I just started looking at certification.
Now I suddenly feel like a kid that has to learn it all again. I should know the answers but I want to be sure.
I'm just one of those people who likes to plan ahead. :D

Cindi_Delaney
02-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Mesquite NV is 80 miles north of Vegas and a far away from most stuff.
Anyone know anything about S. Utah? I'm close to St. George, UT

Karen_Linsley
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Mesquite NV is 80 miles north of Vegas and a far away from most stuff.
Anyone know anything about S. Utah? I'm close to St. George, UT

Yep, you live out in the middle of the desert girl! I have one question for you: WHY? I'm just kidding. I grew up in Las Vegas so I am familar with your territory.

D._Craig_Flory
02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Cindi;

I looked up, in my 2007 list of Liaisons, the C.P.P. Liaison for Utah was Alison Watkins ... (801) 792-5915.

Cindi_Delaney
02-27-2008, 05:30 AM
Yep, you live out in the middle of the desert girl! I have one question for you: WHY? I'm just kidding. I grew up in Las Vegas so I am familar with your territory.

Yessiree and I have learned to love the desert. Mesquite has mountains and bluffs and wildlife and I live within a few hours drive of some of the most magnificent scenery on the planet.
Besides I got old and my bones feel better here.:) :)

Karen_Linsley
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Actually I kind of like it now too, although not as much as the mountains. I am getting ready to take a trip to Death Valley to photograph the wild flowers. The different scenery is a nice change of pace!