PDA

View Full Version : Info for members with prints accepted into the 2008 Loan or Showcase Book

Rick_Massarini
08-05-2007, 12:18 AM
If you had an image selected for the Loan Collection or the Showcase Book this year, be on the lookout for a commuication from Marathon Press. This year, the Loan and Showcase Book images were not photographed at the judging, as has been done in the past. Marathon Press will be communicating directly with the makers of the images selected this year to obtain a digital file of the image for reproduction in the Loan and Showcase Books. So if you get an email or letter from Marathon Press, please open the communication as it may be a request for you to forward them a file of your image for the publication. If you do not send them a file of your image, your image will not be published in the Loan or Showcase Books.

Rick.

Cheri_MacCallum
08-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Thank you very much for the heads up!!

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
08-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Hi... I'm not familiar with you...who are you and how do you know this? :)

Rick_Massarini
08-05-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm one of the "senior volunteers" at the PPA International Judging. Every year I shut down my studio for a week to help work the judging, and at the national convention, I'm there to hang and take down the print exhibit. I'm one of the "behind-the-scenes" guys that few people, other than our judges, know anything about - and I'm there every year. I've been working the National judging for so long that I'm kind of like a piece of PEC equipment that they drag out and dust off a few times a year.

I saw a bunch of notes on the forum about the National judging, so I joined figuring that I might be able to lend a little first hand insight into the process.

Rick

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
08-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Thank you, Rick, for introducing yourself and for sharing. Has to be interesting to be a part of that. Thank you for volunteering.

Drew_MacCallum
08-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Good to see ya Rick- maybe next year we'll see you at the judging. I missed not shooting the book this time, I always looked forward to the "vacation"...

Keith_A_Howe
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Rick,

First of all congrats on your general and loan images this year. Holly and I missed seeing you at judging but I guess 3 years in a row was more than my fair share. By our count Holly was responsible for 11 titles that either merited or went loan this year. So maybe "Two Martini Lunch" wasn't a fluke title. She says to tell you she is all out of chocolate so send her some more prints to title!

Anyway, we are sure glad to see you posting here, you will be a great asset and a terrific source of info on the inner workings of print competition and judging. Welcome!!!

Keith

Cheri_MacCallum
08-06-2007, 02:46 AM
Rick, do we have a contact at Marathon? We're moving and I'm afraid I won't get the letter from them. We'll be issuing a mail forwarding, but it would be just my luck that it didn't get forwarded.

Rick_Massarini
08-06-2007, 02:57 AM
I really missed seeing you guys this year. I'm thinking about putting in a list of requested judges that we need to have invited back. Lets see - we need Holly, so we need to get you; we need Lorraine, so we're going to have to get Ernie, we need Lorraine B., so we need Steve, we need Jo Alice, so Tom's a must, we need Lola, so we need Buddy Mac back on his feet... Can you see a pattern here??? Or maybe I'm just looking at recruiting judges from a "different" perspective... Anyhoo, I hope that they bring you back next year. Tell Holly that I'll definitely be sending her some images for titles along with a commensurate huge amount of CHOCOLATE !!!!

Rick.

Rick_Massarini
08-06-2007, 03:02 AM
Cheri,

I had one print go Loan this year so I should be hearing from Marathon along with all the others who got a Loan or a Book. Just to make sure that you get the info, as soon as I hear from them, I'll forward the contact info to you so you won't miss it in your move. As soon as I find out anything, I'll letr you know.

Rick

Cheri_MacCallum
08-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Congratulations and Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Linda_Gregory
08-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Tell Holly that I'll definitely be sending her some images for titles along with a commensurate huge amount of CHOCOLATE !!!!

Rick.

Okay, I'm going to visit Holly!!!

Better yet, if I make it to Imaging, it'll be within 4 days of returning from Prague. I'll have to bring some of that European chocolate. It's to die for and I'm sure I can buy many favors with it!!!

Tim_Babin
08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Hey Everyone,

Rick is one of those unsung workers that are really leading by example. He has done this over and over and I am sure with little outside satisfaction. He does the same on our state level and has been elected secretary for PP of Louisiana starting right after our convention this month.

Pats on the back Rick---you deserve them.

Rick_Massarini
08-07-2007, 01:16 AM
I spoke with Linda Varn from Marathon Press today. She said that they haven't gotten the information from PPA yet, so communications have not yet started. They plan to send out a letter to the makers with a specially flagged envelope with instructions and a url to which the makers will send their image files. They will follow this with an email and will address any missing submissions individually. So keep an eye open for a letter from Marathon with an unusual envelope.

Rick

Rick_Massarini
08-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Cheri,

I have just today received a letter from Marathon Press indicating the procedure for sending the files to Marathon. Here is the note that I received. In it there was a personal URL to which I am to upload my image. If you do not receive the letter, give Linda Varn a call at Marathon Press.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
TEXT OF LETTER FROM MARATHON PRESS - RECEIVED TODAY.
August 20, 2007
Congratulations! The jduges of the International Print Competition have awarded the following Image merit status from the Professional Photographers of America and have selected your image to be published in the following publication.
Image Name Publicaton URL
(Here you will find the name of your image and a personalized URL for your image)

In keeping with advancements in technology, this year each maker is being asked to submit a digital file for each awarded image to Marathon for publication. Eddie Tapp, who is doing the prepress work on the files, recommends images should be RGB, JPEG saved at maximum quality. Please send the original "processed" file that was printed or sent to the lab for printing. Do NOT embed any additonal profiles from your original work. To upload your image use the personal URL listed beside the publication name. The image will be printed as you submit it, therefor it needs to reflect any enhancements, borders or matting that was done to it for competition. If your entry was an album, submit a two page spread. All files must be received two weeks from the date of this letter.

Sincerely,
Linda Varn
Director, Programs and Publications
lindav@marathonpress.net
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheri_MacCallum
08-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Rick, thank you so much for the information!!!! I'll keep watch for it and will contact here if needed!!!

DiannaAllen
08-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Good thing I checked this thread. Mine came Monday and I had it in a pile of advertisements to go to trash. :eek:

Thanks Rick!

Don_Chick
08-30-2007, 01:05 PM
My letter arrived the other day in a #10 envelope. There was no fireworks or fanfare when I opened the letter, just a request with a web address.....

Maybe next time Marathon could put it in one of those cards that plays music for you when you open it! :D :D