PDA

View Full Version : online image submission for certification?

Tod_Gomes
08-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Can someone please point me in the right direction for easy directions so I can submit my images before the deadline tomorrow for certification? I all ready have my www.portfolio.com id set up. (It seems all the threads I found are out of date).

thanks,

Tod

John_Stein
08-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Tod,

if you already have your password and user name here is the link.
http://www.portfolios.com/members/ppashow

The link you have listed takes you to conde nast portfolio

john stein

Tod_Gomes
08-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Thanks John. I got that part. I guess I should have been more specific lol....

Once at this site, then what? where do you enter the info to each image? can I only upload a "sample" as it states?

Also, it says they need to be a 5/6 quality? WOW that is not very good. I don't want my images looking that bad. (I understand that it is for the speed/size of the upload.)

There is very vague info on how to do this unfortunately.

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 03:50 AM
Here's what I did. Sized the images to 700px on the long side (550px is simply and plainly inadequate) and saved at 7 quality. Make sure you are in sRGB. Upload the files. Annoyingly, you need to do it one file at a time. And you're done, once you get all 20 uploaded. (One hopes, anyway.)

As of yesterday, there were quite a number of people who hadn't uploaded yet, or hadn't uploaded a full complement of images.

Tod_Gomes
08-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Annoyingly, you need to do it one file at a time. And you're done, once you get all 20 uploaded. (One hopes, anyway.)

Ohhhh.. That's why it looks so hard. because it does not tell you that and one WOULD THINK! that you can upload all 20:rolleyes: How silly is this?:rolleyes:

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 04:17 AM
The thing is, this is their first try at this sort of thing, so we need to be understanding. Of course, we would like the PEC to consult with those of us who have the technical expertise to make this system what it ought to be. Which means adequate image size, user interface, security (OMG), etc. There's apparently going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Keith_A_Howe
08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Of course, we would like the PEC to consult with those of us who have the technical expertise to make this system what it ought to be.

Mark - just so there are no misunderstandings - PEC has absolutely nothing to do with the CPP program. Just wanted to make sure that PEC (a volunteer committee of very knowlegable people who have great technical expertise among them) do not get blamed for something they have no part of. I am sure you were not trying to place blame - but you know how people will read stuff and get the wrong impression.

Keith

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Mark - just so there are no misunderstandings - PEC has absolutely nothing to do with the CPP program. Just wanted to make sure that PEC (a volunteer committee of very knowlegable people who have great technical expertise among them) do not get blamed for something they have no part of. I am sure you were not trying to place blame - but you know how people will read stuff and get the wrong impression.
I'm sorry, Keith. Just operating on the information I was given. I PMed Jack about concerns I had about the online image submission, and he said that was PEC's bailiwick. {shrug} I'm not trying to point fingers. I simply would like to bring some issues to the attention of the correct group of people. If PEC isn't the right group of people, do you know who is?

D._Craig_Flory
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
The members on the PPA Certification Committee are working on improving the process. My buddy Al DiCampli just posted a long post on it this week. They are going through growing pains and fixing problems and bumps in the road so each time is better.

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Who chairs that committee, Craig?

D._Craig_Flory
08-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Mark;

I only know one member, Al DiCampli. I'll see if he will tell me who the chair is.

D._Craig_Flory
08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Mark;

Here is the post, from Al, which explains a lot. http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7405&page=2

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I PMed him, asking him to forward my concerns to any other relevant parties.

Tod_Gomes
08-03-2007, 08:30 PM
I can't upload more than 5 images. I have messages in with Marisa Pitts (both phone and e-mail). I'm sure she is busy today. I don't think it's gonna happen since I will not be able to upload 20 with the info provided to me by PPA.

I called protfolios.com and they are out of the office until the 7th! A lot of good THAT does me/us.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
08-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Is there an FTP upload for the submissions? If so, you can upload as many images as required.

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 09:55 PM
what happens when you try to load more than 5 images, Tod?

Tod_Gomes
08-03-2007, 09:58 PM
when I get to 5, it says ERROR you can only upload 5 images. I have to leave for a rehearsal dinner now for my wedding tomorrow and I am sure PPA is closed since they are 3 hours ahead of me. No word from Marisa. I will be back tonight around 10:00pm pst and will either submit the 5 it lets me (click done) or I don't know.:mad:

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
that sounds like the wrong kind of account. That sounds like the free account. Did you contact Marisa and get an account for the CPP image submission?

Tod_Gomes
08-03-2007, 10:07 PM
she never gave it to me. but yes, I would think it is portfolio's free account. afterall, when you go to www.portfolios.com/member/ppashow that's the account it gave me.

I have left 2 e-mails and one phone message. I called 3 other times but did not leave messages with her since I all ready left 1.

Mark_Levesque
08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh, no! That's the wrong answer. You would have had to have gotten a CPP image submission account from Marisa. Sorry, but I can't help from here. :(

Tod_Gomes
08-04-2007, 04:09 AM
OK. I just got home from my rehearsal and Marisa got back to me via e-mail and gave me an id and password at 3:48pm pst. (She must have been working O.T).
I will upload my images in the next 2 hours. phew..... lol...

At least everyone else won't be uploading at the same time right?;)

Tod_Gomes
08-04-2007, 05:12 AM
well, I'm done uploading. Does anyone know what type of feedback you get? (or is that another thread?);)

Mark_Levesque
08-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I am amazed that someone has wrested the title of world's greatest procrastinator from me. :) Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Does anyone know what type of feedback you get?
Well, if you don't pass, you wake up with a horse's head in your bed.

Nobody seems to be quite sure, but the most credible thing I've read so far seems to indicate we'll get something in the mail in about a week. Why they can't just email us I don't know. :) Kinda like when I took the test. It took 3 weeks+ to get the results, and even though I did my best to forget about it and be patient, it was tough!

D._Craig_Flory
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Levesque;91879]

Well, if you don't pass, you wake up with a horse's head in your bed. Hi Mark;

And the Don' makes you an offer you can't refuse ? :D

Stacey_West
08-05-2007, 12:44 PM
well, I'm done uploading. Does anyone know what type of feedback you get? (or is that another thread?);)

I would have liked some critiques of my images but there was no feedback provided. With the large number of images submitted this is understandable but it would have been nice.

Tod_Gomes
08-06-2007, 04:23 AM
I am amazed that someone has wrested the title of world's greatest procrastinator from me. :) Glad to hear you got it worked out.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/creativelook/lol.gif
I'm really only a little bit of a procrastinator. I knew the deadline, but it was not that important to me since I did not pass the written part this last time. score 69:eek: ) I just figured, I have until 12:00 and everything should go smootly since I am starting in the morning (we all know how THAT goes.;) )

Tod_Gomes
08-06-2007, 04:28 AM
I would have liked some critiques of my images but there was no feedback provided. With the large number of images submitted this is understandable but it would have been nice.

You know, Stacey, I would probably agree that if a person passes the image review, it MAY be understandable (although I think they should still give it), but what about if they don't pass the image review? I would HOPE that they give some direction to the photographer who is in need of a little help/guidence.

Karen_Linsley
08-06-2007, 04:49 AM
I have not passed the image review, although I did pass my exam with flying colors. The only feedback I have ever recieved was general, nothing specific to each image.

Cheri_MacCallum
08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure about the new process, but we would judge so many entrants that we couldn't get specific for each image because of time. In most cases, the "general" comments pretty much covered the body of work for a photographer. If there was a problem with exposure, it was reflected through out most of the images, the same for posing, lighting etc. The comments would be reflected as such as _____needs work.

Deb_Wat
08-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Hi all,

Log in to your PPA account and check your merit reports in the credential section. Mine has changed today.

Mark_Levesque
08-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Congrats, Deb! And thanks for the heads up. ;) Nice to see something besides a blank page in there. :D

Deb_Wat
08-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Nice signature Mark!

DianeDavis
08-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Whoooo Hooo Mark.

Way to go.

Marc_Benjamin
08-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Welcome to the club you guys! Yey, you guys get to buy a round at the next convention!

Mark_Levesque
08-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Always looking for a chance to drink for free, eh, Marc? ;)

Waiting for the others to chime in...

Marc_Benjamin
08-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Always looking for a chance to drink for free, eh, Marc? ;)

Why do you think we even go...

DianeDavis
08-07-2007, 01:06 AM
And Deb- and everyone else-

Again, another instance of brave souls lighting the way for the chickens in the crowd.

Deb_Wat
08-07-2007, 01:09 AM
One more session tonight and then I'm celebrating for sure!

David_A._Lottes
08-07-2007, 02:35 AM
There goes the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

:p :D :p

DianeDavis
08-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Having a wine cooler for ALL my friends that made it today. Congrats! So Proud of YOU! :D

Phillip_Colwart
08-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Yep, I was buzzing around the PPA website earlier, check my merits to see if they posted one more for attending Make More Money, and lo n' beho' there's CPP next to my name! woo hoo! Having a brewski while editing this wedding tonight... congrats to my fellow new cpp's...

adding some letters to my signature now.

Jackie_Haggerty
08-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Hmmm, aren't you glad to have this little community?

Mark_Levesque
08-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Jackie Haggerty, CPP
Thought you'd slip that in there with no one noticing? Fat chance. ;)

DianeDavis
08-07-2007, 04:01 AM
:)!!!!!!!!! Whooo Hooooo!!!!

Thought you'd slip that in there with no one noticing? Fat chance. ;)

Alan_Harwell
08-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Yippee! I'm a member of the CPP Community too!

Michael_Gan
08-07-2007, 06:19 AM
One more session tonight and then I'm celebrating for sure!Yahoo Deb! I knew you could do it!

D._Craig_Flory
08-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi group;

Congratulations to all of you who now have a new acronym after your names !!! I remember how proud I was when I achieved it in 1986. I'm sure all of you are bursting with pride just as much as I was.

Remember this. You now have letters after your name. There is still room for more acronyms. As a certified photographer you can now go after speaking gigs and can work towards the Craftsman Degree next.

Cheri_MacCallum
08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Congratulations everyone!!!

Phillip_Colwart
08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Craig, that's great news - would love to speak, perhaps at a Super Monday one day. Not ready yet!

Deb_Wat
08-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks Michael!

D._Craig_Flory
08-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Craig, that's great news - would love to speak, perhaps at a Super Monday one day. Not ready yet!

Hi Phillip;

Find your niche and what you are good at. The very first time I taught a class it was a 1½ hour early-bird class for our state photography association. It was on ... wait for it ... using MS Publisher to do studio forms and such. It got my feet wet and I realized I wasn't nervous like I thought I would be. All my other classes were on Adobe Photoshop. I will recommend that, when ready, you initially teach at state and sub-state levels. Do NOT start out with a Super Monday. Once you start teaching, if you get good feedback you can put out the word that you are looking for teaching gigs.

Also keep in mind that you get teaching merits for being a print judge. There are prof. photog. assns. that do not require that you be more than certified to be a judge. I judged twice for a sub-state sized assn. Now that I have the Craftsman Degree I suppose there are some more groups that I could judge for.

Start small and work your way up.

Mark_Levesque
08-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Has anybody heard from the laggard? Late to submit, and now late to report? LOL

Phillip_Colwart
08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Craig, thank you for the info... I do wish to slowly, slowly earn my degrees - I need to become more successful as a small business owner first!

Mark, I did speak with Tod on the phone last Thursday night as I was preparing to upload my images. Haven't spoken to him since.

Michael_Gan
08-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Has anybody heard from the laggard? Late to submit, and now late to report? LOL
I saw the Laggard's name cited in the certification directory. Are congrats in order, Tod, or is this a false alarm? Did you retake the written exam?

Tod_Gomes
08-08-2007, 03:57 AM
"laggard" haha!!! made ya wait lol http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/creativelook/nana.gif

I have a message in with David Mithofer from this morning. I did not retake the written test, but who knows..... maybe they made a mistake (I mean I WAS ONLY 1 away).;) :D

I am assuming that my images passed since it reads CPP.

Mark_Levesque
08-08-2007, 05:15 AM
I'll get around to congratulating you in a couple days, There's no rush. ;) :p

Phillip_Colwart
08-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Congrats, Tod!

How do we obtain a password to access the CPP area? I would like to obtain the cpp logos for marketing material use... guess I could glom one from the website for now. Right click...

Still waiting for official word from PPA that I've been accepted... so impatient! Instant gratification needed.

Also, is there a sample press release that we can use, announcing our CPPness to the world?

Tod_Gomes
08-09-2007, 01:09 AM
I have a message in with David Mithofer from this morning. I did not retake the written test, but who knows..... maybe they made a mistake (I mean I WAS ONLY 1 away).;) :D

I am assuming that my images passed since it reads CPP.

I spoke with David this morning and just as I suspected, they just messed up lol.... My images DID pass, but the person who entered CPP did not read the written part right (or something). (Mr. Gan, we need to talk:D ;) Don't worry, it's a good thing).

Tod_Gomes
08-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Congrats to all who passed!!!

Stacey_West
08-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Congratulations to everyone who passed the image review. Your hard work paid off!

Also, is there a sample press release that we can use, announcing our CPPness to the world? Yes there is. I think it came in the packet of materials I got pretty quick after receiving my certification.

David_A._Lottes
08-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Don't worry, it's a good thing.

That's the spirit Tod!

Babe ruth struck out 1330 times. Keep swing'in dude! :cool:

Mark_Levesque
08-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Also, is there a sample press release that we can use, announcing our CPPness to the world?
Something about that just sounds wrong.

Tracy_McGee
08-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Very awesome you guys! Congratulations! :D

D._Craig_Flory
08-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Hi Mark;

This could start a whole new thread ... how to refer to having the C.P.P. status ? Ok ... everyone start posting extensions to CPP. Let's make up lots of new words. ;)

Jackie_Haggerty
08-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Not an extention idea here, but I will share that I just found out that I did also receive 2 specialty endorsements along with my CPP- Seniors and Families.

I had to submit 10 additional images for each endorsement for review- I ended up sending a total of 40 images altogether.....

It is very exciting to be able to market the specialization....

D._Craig_Flory
08-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi Jackie;

Before we all know it you will have a lot of acronyms after your name and so many "danglies" around your neck you won't be able to stand up straight. I just wonder if she will even talk to us after she gets famous ??? :p

Michael_Gan
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
LOL, I think its the last 5 letters that sounds a bit male-like :D

Deb_Wat
08-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Congrats Jackie! That's great.

I totally forgot about the specialty thing. Can I submitt still for a specialty?

Michael_Gan
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes you can. I believe it costs $50 per specialy plus your 10 image submission.

Deb_Wat
08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
do I have to wait for the next review or can I do it anytime?

Jackie_Haggerty
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Deb,

You can submit up to 3 specialty endorsements at no charge, and after 3 is is $50 per endorsement.

You can submit for the endorsements when they are doing the image reviews. They are reviewed at the same time.