PDA

View Full Version : Is this competition worthy?

Sandra_Pearce
08-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Senior from yesterday. Would like to know what you think. I am considering it for competition. I am not sure what it might need. Spare no feelings.

Sandra

Jane_Lydick_Staid
08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Sandra,

Her skin tone is too bluish and needs some warming. The whole image needs to be made alot darker including the highlights on her hair, my eye goes straight to her hair. Its cropped a bit too tight, think rule of thirds. Her hand position isnt very feminine.

Joe_Galioto
08-01-2007, 02:40 PM
sandra,
i find the ear distracting.
you could fill in with hair?
it's a great client image, but to merit in compitition aan image needs to have impact and this photo is just nice.
joe

D._Craig_Flory
08-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Sandra;

Have you ever entered anywhere ? I suggest that you enter your state assn. competition or a sub-state group. Sit in on the competition and soak up as much as you can.Then, if they have a print critique, ask to have a couple of your images critiqued. You will get great feedback and learn.

If changes were made to this image it could possibly get into the 74 to 75 category in a state competition. I want you to visualize something. You are sitting in a competition and your image comes up. It takes the panel about 20 seconds to record their scores and have it announced. The next image is of a young lady sitting back against a tree. Off a bit behind and to one side of her is her horse grazing. Her head is back and she is lost in thought. The entire scene, and location, are gorgeous. She is positioned facing to the left of the composition and on the 4th quadrant. Her horse is up around the 2nd quadrant thereby giving a diagonal composition. She is about 2" to 3" high in the presentation ... or less. The print quality and color balance are perfect. It's sharp but the judges still walk up to appreciate everything about it. They walk back and punch in their scores. The score is announced as a 94 & right away a judge calls out "challenge". She says to the other judges "I gave this a score of 100 and will not be happy unless it at least gets into the exceptional score range ! They talk about it and re-score and it gets a 96.

What I'm trying to convey is this. In competition, the judges see a lot of images. They need to have something knock their socks off. Ordinary images get ordinary scores. Strive for unique impact filled images with lots of story telling to them. Look through PPA Loan Collection books and look at what merits.

Start in state and sub-state competitions to learn what judges are looking for.

Sandy_Hill
08-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi,

Where do I obtain a PPA Loan Collection Book?

Thanks,

Sandy

JohnHeckler
08-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi,

Where do I obtain a PPA Loan Collection Book?

It's published by Marathon Press as is the Showcase Book, etc. Goto http://www3.marathonpress.com/education/publications/image-collections

Robin_Arkenberg
08-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Hi Sandra,

I think it begins to have a better chance with black and white.
What do you think?

Sandra_Pearce
08-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Hi Robin,

Thanks for giving it a shot. I am glad to get ideas on my work. I took Jane and Joe up on their advice and worked on it some more. I really like the subject (no she is not a relative of mine) and did not want to give up on it yet. Let me know what you think of this one.

Ron_Jackson
08-11-2007, 02:53 AM
I don't enter comps so I can't answer any question about them. I do know what I feel makes a nice image. I really like this image of yours. It has a bit of mystery and sweetness. You did good changing the hand position and moving the hair over the ear. However, you darkened it to where it is just a bit flat and muddy. I took it and basically just made a curves adjustment and warmed up the color in her face a bit. It's just a suggestion. I also like Robin's black and white version. Good luck. Hope you don't mind.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/voodoomagic_2006/ThinkingofYou20AARon.jpg

Sandra_Pearce
08-11-2007, 03:05 AM
Thank you Ron,

I really enjoy working on improving my work. I love it when someone has an idea to improve what I have done. If I like it I will use it. I darkened the entire print for the lights in competition. Does it look muddy or just dark? My lab usually prints my work as I send it instead of making the print darker. You should see the original photogaph. I am really an art tech photographer. I prefer paintings to photographs. I did receive two art tech merits at nationals and one in photography. It was the first time I had entered. thanks for your input.

Ron_Jackson
08-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Sandra I defer to your good judgement. I just thought it looked a bit muddy but you know more about final print and presentation than I do for these things. I suppose then what I would be saying is that if it showed with the vibrance and color of the image I just showed versus showing dark then that's what I was trying to say.

I am sure you will do very well. I really like this image and you obviously are working hard to get it ready for comp. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Don_Chick
08-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Sandra,

You did a nice job with the changes mentioned earlier.
As stated in another's post, it is a very nice client image; however to me it's all about lighting (among the other 11 elements) and this print doesn't have a nice lighting pattern on the subjects face that would bring it into the merit category. Also, (looking at a 2 inch print) her expression doesn't look engaging. She has kinda a distant stare on her face.

Ron_Jackson
08-11-2007, 04:14 AM
See, I told you I didn't know what I was talking about. I'll shut up now. :)

Don_Chick
08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
But Ron, you are such a nice guy!