PDA

View Full Version : Question on 2007 National Comp

John_Stein
07-31-2007, 10:02 PM
I just got my DVD critique back and according to the critique I have two merited images but according to the list of accepted images I only have one. Anyone know who I can contact to find out which is correct?

John Stein

Michael_Gan
07-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Contact Jim Dingwell through PPA.

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
07-31-2007, 10:48 PM
I can't wait to get my DVD.... ***goes out again and looks in box***

John_Stein
07-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion. I sent him and email and he already responded but it will be a few weeks before I get a definite answer. the data base says I have only the one but he is going to check the actual images for me.

I know he has a lot of image so I am in no hurry, masters is a few years away. Just want to make sure that I do get the credit for the second merit if it is true what they said on the critique.

John Stein

Don_Chick
08-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Did you check your merit report online? Mine has not been updated yet but it might be another cross check....

John_Stein
08-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Don,

My merit report has not been updated as of yet.

John

JohnHeckler
08-04-2007, 03:37 AM
FYI ... Just checked the PPA site and saw the my merit report reflected my merits from this year's Nationals now ... :cool:

Rick_Massarini
08-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Checking the on-line merit report probably wouldn't resolve the issue. The merit list would be information from the list of accepted entries which is information pulled from the database after the merit log sheets were entered into the computer in Daytona.

If your print received a merit, it should have been marked as such on the back, signed by the PEC room captain (a senior PEC juror) and recorded on the merit log sheet. Once the log sheet is turned in to our PEC Assistant, the score is entered into the computer as General. When it goes to a Loan panel, the same process takes place again. When the Loan log sheet goes to the office, the score is changed from General to Loan.

If the critiquer noted that the print was marked as a merit (General Exhibit) and it is not on the list of accepted entries, then, somehow, it must not have been recorded on a Merit Log sheet so that it never got entered into the computer (only the accepted entries are recorded on the merit log sheets). It's also possible that the critiquer may have misread the print - I know you don't want to hear that possibility - let's all hope it's a data entry problem so you'll get that second merit !

The only way to resolve this will be to dig the print out fo the shipping crate and check the back of the actual print. If it was marked as a Merit and signed by a PEC room captain, then Jim will have to get the result changed in the computer.

In case you wondered how I know about the process, I'm one of the "senior volunteers" at the Internatonal judging, having been there many many years. I joined the forum since I noted there were a lot of questions about the national judging and the whole process, so I thought that I might be able to lend a little first-hand info. Jim Dingwell is our PEC Administrator, any issues involving problems I will have to defer to him.

John_Stein
08-05-2007, 04:22 AM
Rick,

Thanks. I have traded emails with Jim and he is going to check the print for me, just might take a few weeks which I totally understand. I already sent him the case and print number as it was on the labels that I downlaoded off the PPA website when I registered the images. Hoping it is a data input mistake but prepared for it to be a mis read on the critiquer's part.

John

Rick_Massarini
08-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Keep me posted. If you get the second one we can all let out a cheer !!!

John_Stein
08-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Got a call From Jim today. The person critiquing the images was right I did have two merited images. It was a data input mistake that has been fixed.

John

Linda_Gregory
08-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Congratulations! Glad it got resolved to your benefit.

D._Craig_Flory
08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Got a call From Jim today. The person critiquing the images was right I did have two merited images. It was a data input mistake that has been fixed.

John

Way to go John !!! Were either of them any that I worked, in Photoshop, for you ? (if so, you can buy me a coffee at the PPAofPa meeting coming up soon ;) )

John_Stein
08-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Craig,

Nope not one of them. That image has been giving me fits has been scored anywhere from 86 down to 76. Nothing wrong with what you did for the image.

Not sure if I am going to make the October PA meeting. Probably going to make my annual run to Ashateaque ( Purposely mispelled so it does not end up with **** in it) and Chincoteauge that weekend. I'll buy you a cup of coffee at the feb meeting though.

John