PDA

View Full Version : A plug for OurPPA critiques

JohnHeckler
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
This year at Nationals I elected to fork over the extra bucks for a video critque of the prints I entered. The critiques were good and helpful for sure, but NOTHING was said that was not already mentioned when I posted the images here for comment and critique.

So, just wanted to plug this forum and the many folks who graciously spend time critiquing and providing comments on the images we post here.

Thanks to all those folks ... you know who you are! :D

Lori_Clapp
08-01-2007, 02:34 AM
I agree - the critiques I got here were a lot more in-depth and detailed than on the DVD. (I didn't remember ordering a critique, but apparently I did). While it was nice to get, I definately learned more about my prints and what I should have done differently, here than on the critique! Thanks everyone!

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
08-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Sigh...I invested in the critique thinking it would offer valuable insights... I don't believe the entire video lasted more than 60 seconds (for all four prints) and some of that time was promo for PPA event.

In their defense, each image got 2 specific comments (brief, 2-3 words). I look forward to participating again but will not order critique again...simply wasn't worth the investment.

Mark_Levesque
08-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Maybe I'm glad I saved my money. :) I was originally lamenting that I hadn't scraped together enough scratch to order the critique. But it seems that most people have been disappointed. I think I can point out the issues with the ones that didn't make it anyway. But I do find it interesting to hear what others think.

Linda_Gregory
08-01-2007, 03:11 AM
I haven't received this year's critique but last year's was invaluable. Could it be the difference in those critiquing or are they not allowing enough time? I'll be interested to see what mine's like this year.

Marc_Benjamin
08-01-2007, 03:35 AM
I got my critique and I was very impressed on how fast it came. I agree that there could be more to the critique (sorry Kalen) but I suppose that what was delivered was very acceptable under those crazy conditions at the tail end of the judging.

See here on the forums we actually have a lot of time to look at the images and then a whole lot of us chimes in so I'm thinking that most imaginable aspects of the image can be covered by the whole lot of us.

Eitherway, I think there is still value on getting the critique.

BobSmith
08-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Could it be the difference in those critiquing or are they not allowing enough time?

Not surprising considering the number of entries that must be submitted. I worked on a creative competition in another field where the entire competition was somewhat fewer entries than what PPA lists as merited prints. It was a workflow nightmare. Each piece, unless exceptionally noteworthy, would get minimal time for scrutiny by the judges. Anyone know the figures on how many total prints are entered?

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
08-01-2007, 12:11 PM
5,000?

extra characters here so it will accept message....

Michael_Gan
08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
There are typically 5-6000 images entered each year. Although many of them have been prequalified from the affiliate judging, there is still the loan judging, EI, art, and wedding albums. When the judges do the critique, just remember that they have been judging for 3 days. I've judged in a state level with 350 images, most with critique and we were exhausted by the end of the day.

Linda_Gregory
08-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Got my dvd today and the review was very good. Well worth my money and then some. Maybe it is the different judges and their energy level but I learned tons and I've had many comments here about them as well as privately. Some of what the dvd said echoed them, other had new information so I'm pleased.

Linda_Gregory
08-02-2007, 01:28 PM
So who do I contact to see about copyright on the video? I'd like to share it but am not sure how far I can go. I'd also like to quote one of the speakers on the video for advertising purposes.

Anyone have an idea where to begin asking?

John_Derry
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi:

I got my critique and....boy, am I glad I did!

I was a bit disappointed when the results came out last week when I found out I only scored one General collection print (as opposed to last year's 2 General/1 Loan results).

Anyway, I put that little CD in to listen to the critiques. When they got to my General collection print, they began by congratulating me for getting in the Loan collection with the print!

I spoke to Jim Dingwell and he'll have to look at the back of the physical print to see what it actually got (he said he's seen this happen a half dozen times due to the sheer volume of submissions). So, there is a good chance an entry error was made compiling the list.

I'm hoping it is the list that is wrong and not the critique!

-john

Marc_Benjamin
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Sometimes, I wish seeing critiques where someone would say stuff like...

Someone must have been really tired (or drunk) during regionals for this one to have slipped through lol

or

I really don't know how but man this is one's a real lucky image. Someone must have gotten confused during the ins and outs, good for you though! lol .

or

Good lord, someone must have gotten a hold of that roll of seals we lost a while ago!

or

Oh my, oh my this ones really "artistic"

Now to think about it more, perhaps like a separate selectable commentary track on the DVD or like a blooper reel.

Jackie_Haggerty
08-02-2007, 06:44 PM
So who do I contact to see about copyright on the video? I'd like to share it but am not sure how far I can go. I'd also like to quote one of the speakers on the video for advertising purposes.

Anyone have an idea where to begin asking?

Good question Linda- lets go look for the answer!!

Rick_Massarini
08-03-2007, 02:24 AM
When trying to decide whether or not to order a print critique, there is one addidional thing to remember that many people don't know. Ordering a critique provides you with one more opportunity for a print to get an additional second look. Since all of the critiquers are PEC jurors, they have the option, if they feel strongly enough about the print, to challenge the score and and have the print sent back to another panel for another pass. Sometimes when the image goes back through another judging panel, the print may receive a merit. If it merits, of course, it goes on for Loan consideration. Every year at National, prints are sent back to the judging rooms from the critique rooms, and some of them merit the second time around. So the critique has a double advantage, it not only gets you an expert evaluation of your work, but it gives you an additional shot at having a judge "fall-in-love" with your image and send it back around.

Also - the critiquers are not limited as to how much time they can spend on a critique. They can spend as little or as much time as they personally feel is necessary for that print case. Some of the judges are a bit more talkative than others, while others are more to the point and can relate their comments with fewer words.

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
08-03-2007, 03:35 AM
one of the speakers

curious...how many speaker/critiquers were on your cd?

Rick_Massarini
08-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Usually, the critiques will have only one judge critiquing the images for any one print case. In order to expedite the critique process, we group the prints into sets by print case number. When we get all 4 entries from that maker, the stack of 4 goes to a juror for video critique. Occasionally you will get two different critiquers, with one juror cririquing two or three images and another juror doing the last one, but most of the time there is only one. We usually do not have enough jurors available to have more than one juror critique a case since we are usually running 4 -5 judging rooms with one or two of them usually being a Loan panel (which require additional jurors). We did run the critrique rooms late one evening this year, and that evening we did have two judges critiquing as a pair in one of the rooms, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Rick_Massarini
08-03-2007, 05:03 AM
I would suggest that you contact the juror personally and ask his permission to use his comments in your advertisement. You can find his name in the PPA member database (check "find a photographer") and send him or her an email asking for pemission to quote them in your advertisement.

Stacey_West
08-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I received my critique several days ago but just now took the time to view it. The judge who critiqued my prints was Mary Mortensen. I thought her comments were helpful. They were fairly brief, the total length of the video was about six minutes - but I don't know really what else could have been said. Based on this experience I'll get a critique next year.

Auralee_Dallas
08-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Does everyone already have their critique????? I have not received mine yet, but they might be going out in batches.

D._Craig_Flory
08-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi Auralee;

After reading another post ... maybe the UPS driver threw it and it landed in your bushes. :D Maybe you should walk around and look tomorrow morning ? :p

Rick_Massarini
08-09-2007, 03:34 AM
The critique CD's were placed into the cardboard mailers, addressed and stamped after completion in Daytona. They were to be mailed from Daytona (US Mail - not UPS). Oh, also, I heard Mary critiquing some images as I was in and out of the rooms - from what I heard when I was in there, she is an excellent critiquer.

Auralee_Dallas
08-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Do you think it is odd that it is August 10 and I haven't received mine yet. Is there anyone else who hasn't received theirs? Some folks got theirs 11 days ago.

Mark_Levesque
08-10-2007, 11:48 PM
You should probably call.

John_Derry
08-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Well...my video critique paid off. After getting a "General" pick on the distributed PDF, I was surprised to hear the judges congratulate me for my Loan pick on the critique CD. I contacted Jim Dingwell and he offered to look through the entries (currently stored in a warehouse) when he returned from a well-earned family vacation.

I received a call from Jim 2 days ago informing me that my print was indeed a Loan! Jim said it might have never been caught if I hadn't heard different via the video critique.

Best $35 I've spent this year!

-john