PDA

View Full Version : Okay... I need help...

Daniel_Colegrove
07-29-2007, 09:25 AM
I need a title... the model thinks it's funny as all heck...
But My wife tells me "Pop goes the Asian girl" isn't going to go over too well.

http://www.dcolegrovephotography.com/private/8bit.jpg

Best Regards,
Daniel Colegrove - Photographer
http://www.dcolegrovephotography.com

Don_Chick
07-29-2007, 12:16 PM
At this point I don't have a title suggestion for you, but I don't understand your title? :confused: :confused:

How does the title tie in to the image?

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
07-29-2007, 01:59 PM
where is she at?

D._Craig_Flory
07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi Daniel;

I don't understand your title at all. Keep in mind that the panel hears the title and then they see the image. If they have to think about what relation your title has to the image ... you just lost some points.

Some Ideas "Confusion" , "Now Which Way ?" & "Pensive" .

Anne_LeBouton
07-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Besides a better title, you need to get rid of the polkadots on the model's outfit if you are planning on entering this in competition. They are really distracting. Might want to also try cropping it up a bit, to just above her waist. (By the way, I think I get the title. Her red outfit makes her "pop" from her gray surroundings.)

As far as title goes, you could try playing with the Asian/Oriental theme or just use the girl's name. Simple is usually better. If the judges have to search for the connection your score may not be as good.

Daniel_Colegrove
07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
:eek: Stamp out the polka-dots? But I love polka-dots... well you're probably right though, I see the cropping too.

I'm not even sure I like the image at all anymore however I am going to enter it in a local affiliate comp because my cronies say I must participate.

I just have a heck of a time coming up with titles, I hate the obvious and mundane, but that's kind of what they're after isn't it.

D._Craig_Flory
07-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Daniel;

No, they are NOT looking for obvious and mundane titles. The title is an integral part of the overall score. Titles should be just as creative as the image.

When I'm working on titles I have before me : Dictionary, Thesaurus, TV Guide, and The Top 40 Hits from 1955 to 1985. Movie and Song titles are always high on my list to look through.

I agree about entering the image. You have to get your feet wet at some time. Once you have entered once you will have a better handle on what is involved. Sit in on the judging and pay attention to comments for against. When there is a challenge you can learn a lot.

Sometimes someone posting an alternative version can get you thinking in a lot more directions for image preparation. Here is how I see your image.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/8bitEnhanced.jpg

andiegoodman
07-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Other good sources for titles are old Loan Collection books. I have used them when I have been stuck for a name. Titles are very important and add to the impact of the image.

Daniel_Colegrove
07-30-2007, 04:26 AM
Hi Daniel;

No, they are NOT looking for obvious and mundane titles. The title is an integral part of the overall score. Titles should be just as creative as the image....
True... But they are not looking for obscure and eccentric either and that's kind of "me" all over.

Also:I did consider flipping it and I may re-crop. Most of my images that have merited are very different from this one; this is a bit out of my genre for print comp.

I have had my feet wet (burned actually) and I always catch it for my title. The judges have said "I'd have gone to an 85 if the title wasn't so stupid" and "Ummm, I don't get the name".
This is a phenomena that runs through everything, not just naming images for print comp, It's not that I'm non verbal it's just that they don't get me.

After posting and looking at it I'm now thinking short and to the point like: "China Girl in Red" I certainly know that using her name, Rakphongphairoj is out... And I don't have the gall to change it for her.

Best Regards,
Daniel Colegrove - Photographer
http://www.dcolegrovephotography.com (mhtml:{15BEDCD3-0455-422A-86B9-C3B3558C9224}mid://00000017/!x-usc:http://www.dcolegrovephotography.com/)

D._Craig_Flory
07-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi Daniel;

A friend of mine, and I, used to meet for lunch. We would show images to each other and give potential ideas for titles. Maybe that could work well for you.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
07-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Ok I kind of get the title, but I really dont think this image would do well in competition.

Daniel_Colegrove
07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Ok I kind of get the title, but I really dont think this image would do well in competition.

You are probably correct.

D._Craig_Flory
07-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi Daniel;

Even with what Jane said, if you had 3 images you felt good about, I'd include this one in the print case and then ask to have it talked about at the print critique.

If you make lots of changes, I think you can get this into one of these categories. I am leaning towards a score of 75 if a lot of changes are made.

Above Average: 79 - 76
Average: 75 - 74
Acceptable: 73 - 70