PDA

View Full Version : Goddess of the Garden

Carver_Shivers
07-20-2007, 02:12 AM
This is another done in Painter X that I would like to enter into competition. Your ideas and comments?

Joe_Galioto
07-20-2007, 09:29 PM
hello carver,
i've noticed the beutiful paintings you've been posting.
if i were judging this print, i would award the sulpture a blue ribbon.
what i'm saying is, i'm not sure a photograph of someone elses art would be considered original.
lets see if anyone else responds.
joe

D._Craig_Flory
07-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Joe;

I agree on this image. IF he created an image of the statue and posed a client in front of the statue in that pose it COULD work well. And, if he treated the presentation in such a way as to give the client's skin a feel of stone it could do very well. Just as one way I'm thinking would be to use a displacement map. But I agree that just an image of a sculpture artist's work would not be received well by a judging panel.

The image made me think of the old TV program "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" and how Dobie would be sitting in a pose reminiscent of Rodin's "The Thinker" at the beginning of the show every week.

Auralee_Dallas
07-20-2007, 09:50 PM
I agree with Joe about the "someone elses art" thing, at least that was the thought among art photographers I hung with years ago.
But, regarding your image, the light tan things on the bottom draw my eye from the main subject. Since you are working in Painter, you should have total control over changing the color of that thing I think is a pedestal base. I seems to be cropped a little too tight too. On my computer the image doesn't seem to have any pop or any special lighting that would make it stand out as a merit print. If you are thinking local affiliate, then I'd definitely enter it and get some real competition feedback.
It's really hard to do a good job of evaluating Painter images on this forum because of having to post such small images.

Carver_Shivers
07-21-2007, 01:11 AM
thanks for your imput, I will enter in local first as all of my work before I go for national merits... I have seen photographers take images of buildings, inside and out, and other man made items that they had not created that merited. I would hope it is my interpretation of what I photographed that has merit.. maybe not, but I will find out. Thanks again...

Keith_A_Howe
07-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Carver
As a juror I would place this image as I see it in the average catagory. It feels too tight and it has too flat of light to do the sculpture justice. I do not have the problem mentioned here with photographing someone else's artwork, as a juror we have no way of knowing the back story. For all we know you may have been commissioned to photograph the sculpture for the artist or you maybe be representing the area as it appeals to you. I am not a lawyer so I do not know how the copyright laws play on this type of subject and usage. I just have to judge what is before me. It is judged just as any other image would be. The Jury Chairman and Jury forman would have to deal with any questions brought to them concerning copying the art. I have never been on a panel that would look at this image as anything different than what it is - another image. How much impact does it have? How well did the photographer handle the lighting, composition etc. and score it accordingly.
I agree with Auralee on several points, Hard to judge painter on these small images, if working in painter you could correct problems like the base and even improve the lighting adding drama and impact.

Good luck Keith

Carver_Shivers
07-22-2007, 04:36 AM
I have taken Auralee's ideas to heart and am working on a redo. I hope my response did not seem flippant. I in no way claim originator of the sculpture, just that it caught my eye and I had to photograph it. Originally it is not cropped so tight, so I plan to finish the changes offered here and repost.

I do appreciate the comments, just felt it was not about my work but about something else. I hope I did not offend, that was not my intent...

Oh, and I do understand about the image size issue... I can tell you can barely see the brush strokes... thanks again

andiegoodman
07-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Carver,

If the statue was not created by you, I would check on copywrite infringement. I remember a case in California some years ago where a photographer and a sculptor wound up in court over just that same thing. Especially if you plan on using something like that as a comp print.

I would check with Atlanta before you need their legal services. :eek:

Carver_Shivers
07-22-2007, 03:52 PM
thanks for the reply. I know of a sculpturor and i will ask him. The intent is not to resale this image, but for competition. I will check out the legal issues before continuing... thanks again...