PDA

View Full Version : Practice de deux

Carver_Shivers
07-19-2007, 08:41 AM
this is another pastel painting I am considering for comp. any suggestions are welcome. thanks in advance...

Jane_Lydick_Staid
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I love the effect but it's cropped way too tightly. Think rule of thirds.

D._Craig_Flory
07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi Carver;

I agree with Jane about cropping too tight. I don't like to see limbs chopped off and would like to have seen her hands.

Also, we read left to right. The light source is coming from the right. I'm posting my version of your image where I #1 flipped the image #2 made the subject layer a good bit smaller so they are both at the 3rd quadrant #3 used a color selected from the one tutu for the accent line so your eye goes out from that, travels around, and comes back in. #4 brightened it and upped the contrast slightly. Please compare and see the differences.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/practice20de20deuxEnhanced.jpg

Cheri_MacCallum
07-19-2007, 02:04 PM
As it has been mentioned, cropping limbs is kind of iffy. Especially at joints, wrists, elbows and knees. It looks like you've all of them here in this image. I would recommend softening the edges to obscure the fact that joints have been chopped. It's a great idea, but would suggest a different image without the tight crop.

Stan_Lawrence
07-19-2007, 02:11 PM
"I am considering for comp"

If this were entered as a portrait, I would most likely agree on the cropping....as a piece of art....not so much. I could easily see this image as decor in a home.....very nice. :cool:

StaceyDamon
07-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Well I am not competition qualified to answer for that...But Degas "amputated" his ballet subjects quite often...I personally really like this image. Again I have no idea for competition....

Carver_Shivers
07-19-2007, 10:02 PM
thanks to all, this was a direct salute to Degas, and the reason I had the girls facing in this direction was I felt that the eye came in to the scene from left and came back. It seems to me that when you switch it the other way, the eyes leave out at the right... but I will consider that... with respect to the cropping, I will play with that. Craig, I like the way you placed it in the overall plane! Thanks so much for your help and ideas!

D._Craig_Flory
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Carver;

I love the work you are posting. For this image, and some of the others, I'd enter them under Illustrative. In Pa. we call that Salon. Work done in Painter and other artistic endevours go in that category.

Carver_Shivers
07-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks D. I will give that a try...