PDA

View Full Version : Comp worthy?

Dave_Prouty
07-13-2007, 06:02 AM
I really have no intentions of entering any competition, but I wonder if the quality of my work can be worthy of being entered adn MAYBE coming close to merit. So if I can get a little C&C on this it would be nice to get an idea. Or do I just "take pretty pictures" as someone once described me?

This is a couple years old. It is cropped from the original and gone through some extensive photoshop work. The shot was hard to pose since she was sitting on a bed and we couldn't move her because she is disabled and can't walk. So we did the best we could.

D._Craig_Flory
07-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Dave;

She is a pretty lady and has a nice expression.

However, here are my problems with the image. #1 The image is over processed making it too contrasty ... especially the whites of her eyes. #2 I would fill in the patch where her scalp is showing through her dark hair. #3 The Tiara draws too much attention to itself. If the image wasn't cropped so extremely close it probably wouldn't be a problem. But with her dark hair, and how contrasty it now is, it draws way too much attention to itself. #4 With the extreme contrast, the dark roses are also screaming for attention. #5 The softening is a bit over-done. And that is compounded by having pretty much just her eyes sharp.

I see this pose as a horizontal with her bouquet off to one side instead of in front of her chin. I would tilt her head a bit towards the flowers.

Here is a glimpse into how I see it. If hope it helps you see and grow.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DSCF149620copyEnhanced.jpg

Dave_Prouty
07-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Hey thanks Craig!

Yeah I thought maybe a little over processed at first myself, but I was playing with a "technique" in Photoshop to see how it would look. It works for some images to create a Hurrell type 40's glamour look, but this instance didn't quite do it for me.

So, the flowers need to get away from her face, fill in the patchy hair, less contrast, and don't make the eyes so white. Gotcha! Hmm.. seems I got everything wrong.

I'll just have to do some more shooting to get it right. Wedding tomorrow, so maybe I'll get a chance to shoot something worthwhile. I'm second shooting/assisting, so I may or may not get a good shot for posting.

Thanks again!

D._Craig_Flory
07-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Dave;

Here in Pa. we have our annual print competition in April with 16x20's. But, in October we also have an 8x10 competition. The images are to be of, and about, our state. Any images entered are still eligible at the annual competition so it's a nice way to see what judges think.

There is a pro group ... Northeast Pa. Prof. Photogs. Assocaition which is in the Poconos area of Pennsylvania. They hold 3 meetings a year and you can enter up to four 16X20's at each meeting. So members there can enter up to 12 images and then narrow down to the best four for the state annual competition, regional, or PPA.

What I'm saying is this ... enter as often as possible. Sit in on the judgings and listen to judges comments as well as print critiques. And post often on here.

When you post on here - try to post the entire image. You may crop off something best left on. When you create images, try to do some for competition ... even if the client may not like it. The judges may love it. Back up for some from where you would normally be. Let your imagination run wild. You do know what that is ? (in the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" , Santa says to a little Natalie Woods that you have your German Nation and the French Nation and then you have your Imagi-Nation. ;) )