PDA

View Full Version : Good labs for printing comp prints

Tom_Bateman
10-14-2005, 06:41 PM
The lab I normally use for my 16X20 and larger prints only prints on a lustre surface. They do a good job but I am looking for a lab that will print on glossy (new kodak metallic) and has experience in printing competition prints. Any suggestions?

Deb_Wat
10-14-2005, 07:03 PM
At our local chapter meeting last night we discussed print comp. Bay Photo Lab was mentioned by a few of the Master's as a source for prints for comp.

D._Craig_Flory
10-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi Tom;

Where is your studio located ? Once we know we can give better suggestions. If you are good with Photoshop you can order machine prints on glossy and just get good gatorfoam mounting. I've seen metallic paper images but don't know if it makes a differerence in scores. I've judged twice with no metallic surface prints. So how about some national judges answering on metallic paper and scores and if he needs it ?

D. Craig Flory

Tom_Bateman
10-14-2005, 07:53 PM
I am located in Lewiston Idaho. I am pretty good at photoshop.most of the 16X 20 prints I have ad made have been the econo prints (no corections on their part) and they come back looking just about the same as my originals. Thanks for the input so far.

Bob_MacDonald
10-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Tom...

I use Media Specialties,Inc. in Boise for all of my E-6 processing, and up 'til about a year ago they did all of my Ilfochrome├é┬ę prints. They've discontinued the Ilfochrome, but; they're very knowledgeable folks, especially in this Digital era. They can be reached at (208) 343-9135 and are at 404 S. 3rd St.

I now do some portrait work and use Full Color Inc. in Dallas (because they sell in "units", which the shop in Boise doesn't). They work a lot with Wedding and Portrait folks, and they also feature Metallic papers. They can be reached at 800-382-2101 (ask for Janice) , or via email at service@fullcolor.com

Michael_Gan
10-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Tom,

As Deb has said, www.bayphoto.com (http://www.bayphoto.com) has a way for you to send for a competition Super high gloss print via ROES. Cost is about $24 per print plus mounting. How good? All four of my images this year are going to hang in the Master's exhibit in Austin and I've gained 9 Merits in the last 2 years since switching to this printing. (7 images and 2 in loan)

Ask for Larry Abitbol.

Michael

Tom_Bateman
10-15-2005, 03:32 AM
Thanks Michael. I will most definitely be checking Bay Photo out. I have heard from others that if your image isn't printed correctly it can do some pretty good damage to your score.

Buddy_Stewart
10-15-2005, 02:13 PM
We print our own on an Epson 4000 but we use Miller's for our production work. They are an awesome lab and are next day from anywhere in the 48 lower states. When I visited the lab to judge their children's contest there was an eighty foot wall with Kodak Gallery certificates framed and hanging floor to ceiling. They must be doing something right about competition. Call customer service (800) 835-0603 and ask to speak to someone about competition prints. I am sure there are others who also do very good at competition printing.
Buddy Stewart
PEC Vice-chairman

dana_nordlund
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Greetings Tom,

Check out Buckeye Color www.buckeyecolor.com They are worth every penny if you know that you have a strong image. They have a great staff with answers too.

Dana Nordlund, CPP