PDA

View Full Version : Input on this?

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 02:48 AM
I want to start entering print competitions, but, I don't know what is competition worthy, and what is something simple that I just like. I've only been to the one convention and missed sitting in on the big print critique. I did, however, get to observe a short program about the judging process, but regret that I don't feel I absorbed as much as I would've like to have.

This was from a session I had a couple of weeks ago. Is this anywhere near competition worthy? And if so, what color would you choose to put around it?

Thanks! :o

http://www.mcgeephotography.com/Pics/heff/pc1.jpg

Dave_Cisco
07-06-2007, 03:39 AM
I would say probably not.
Since you missed the judging, I'd recommend the next best thing; get a couple of the General Collection books from recent years and start digging. If you look at enough images that merited, you'll begin to get a clue as to what the judges are looking for.

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Thanks Dave! I'd be willing to bet a couple of my photographer friends around here have some of those books. I'll check them out. :)

D._Craig_Flory
07-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Tracy;

I agree with Dave that this will never get an 80. However, don't let that stop you entering it in your state competition or other below regional and PPA. You need to get your feet wet some time.

On this image: #1 ... always try to post ideal format examples for us. Since all non-masters must enter a 16X20 or 20X16 entry try to post a 10X8 or something smaller that is proportional. If you get used to that you will think in terms of cropping and placement.

#2 ... her blouse is out of key. If you turn the image upside down & squint at it the brightest thing is her blouse and it takes too much away from her face.

#3 On a profile, I was taught to never see any of the far eye. You either have a ¾ view (where the nose does not break the plane of the cheek) or you have a profile with the nose faced so that none of the far eye shows.

#4 What I do like is the diagonal composition you have.

Here is how I see your image being presented. I took out her far eye and opened up the other. I made the subject layer small enough so she is on the 3rd quadrant. I made her blouse a shade lighter than the jeans. I deepened the subject layer. I made a fairly deep background layer and added a 1½ pixel accent line with a shade from her jeans. I hope my version helps you see and gets you going in the right direction.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/pc1Enhanced.jpg

ChontelleBrown
07-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Tracy-
What about the 'dream' maternity images you posted on the other forum? Have you posted over here for input?

Chontelle

D._Craig_Flory
07-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Tracy;

So you get an alternative idea of treatment ... here is a different slant on it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/pc1EnhancedAlternative.jpg

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the input and the direction to go in, Craig! :) I'll keep that other eye in mind in the future.

Chontelle, I've never really posted much over here. I'm pretty gaurded with those maternity images out of respect for my client (as gorgeous as she is), and I haven't posted them here with this being more public than the other place. ;)

Does anyone know a good online resource to seeing prints that have gotten merits in the past? I know those PPA books are kinda costly. Are there any somewhere here on the PPA website?

Dave_Cisco
07-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know a good online resource to seeing prints that have gotten merits in the past? I know those PPA books are kinda costly. Are there any somewhere here on the PPA website?

If they could be viewed online, no one would ever buy the books.:D
They will save you money if you really want to start competing.

D._Craig_Flory
07-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Thank you for the input and the direction to go in, Craig! :) I'll keep that other eye in mind in the future.

Hi Tracy;

Check out the 2007 slide shows of trophy winners on our Pa. state assn. site and then the slide show of blue ribbon images. (watch for mine of the geese :o ) There were a lot of excellent images in our competition this year.
Go to www.ppaofpa.org and look for the shows.

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks Craig! I'll definitely go check that out. I believe my state's PPA also has a slideshow that plays. Guess I should pay more attention to those things huh? :p

If they could be viewed online, no one would ever buy the books.Yeah, I did kinda figure that. :D Just a few is all I mean. I think the link that Craig gave me as well as going back to my local website may give me a good idea of what merits. :)

I promise to pay attention at the short print critique discussion they will be having later this month. It's very inexpensive to submit a few images on disk to have reviewed. I had forgotten about that, but I definitely think that is something that would be perfect for me.

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Craig, I LOOOOVE that one of the geese! I let out a chuckle as soon as I saw it and then noticed your name on it. :p

Michael_Gan
07-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi Tracy,

Here is an excellent page to view images: http://www.asofp-online.com/portfolio.asp

They haven't released the 2007 images yet. The ASP members accounted for over half of the loan images this year!

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Wow Michael! That is a great resource! Thank you! :)

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Okay. So my last question. Maybe. :p

I have looked for a while now (I'll admit I could look even harder, but I fear the outcome being an even longer, futile search) for the guidelines or tips for what rules to follow for creating images that merit. I thought I had seen it here before, but now I cannot seem to find it. Am I simply sleep deprive and deserving of being bitten by a snake that is right in front of my face?

D._Craig_Flory
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi Tracy;

I am back from Staples (and stopping for a late lunch ... a cheese steak).

I believe you are asking about the Dirty Dozen. If you would like it bigger ...send me an e-mail. floryphotog@mindspring.com

Dave_Cisco
07-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Okay. So my last question. Maybe. :p

I have looked for a while now (I'll admit I could look even harder, but I fear the outcome being an even longer, futile search) for the guidelines or tips for what rules to follow for creating images that merit. I thought I had seen it here before, but now I cannot seem to find it. Am I simply sleep deprive and deserving of being bitten by a snake that is right in front of my face?

Flory has the 12 points that judges look for, but nothing comes close to watch/listening to the judges at a competition critique.

Stacey_West
07-06-2007, 08:12 PM
I've only been to the one convention and missed sitting in on the big print critique.

Its been mentioned before but you can see the actual print judging from the the 2007 SWPPA on video. One of our forum members, Mark McCall, as well as others, helped make this possible. You can to to http://www.swppa.com to find the videos.

Be sure to watch the high resolution files - you can tell more about the prints this way. The files are large - the one I'm currently viewing is over 100mb - so they take a while to download. The videos are very enlightening, especially on prints that get "challenged".

Tracy_McGee
07-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Craig, that would be awesome if you could send that my way! :) You're still in my Outlook address book so I'll shoot you a message. ;)

Dave, I completely agree and look forward to observing them in the future. I would've, and really wanted to attend the judging, but family obligations kept me from doing so. But I will attend any future ones I can. :)

Stacey, thank you so so much! I will definitely sit down later and watch that. That would be awesome!

JohnHeckler
07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Tracy,

Here is an excellent page to view images: http://www.asofp-online.com/portfolio.asp

They haven't released the 2007 images yet. The ASP members accounted for over half of the loan images this year!

That link has loan images that were by photogs who are not ASP members ... maybe it is supposed to, not sure.

Michael_Gan
07-06-2007, 08:33 PM
The 2006, for some inexplicable reason has loan images containing non-ASP members, but the other years seem to be in order.

Jerry_W._Kelley
07-07-2007, 03:43 AM
Tracy,

Here is another place to look, http://www.ppmag.com/folio-gallery/

Lots of good stuff there!

Jerry

Keith_A_Howe
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Tracy
Check out this thread started by Jeff Dachowski here in the print competition area. http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4657&highlight=merit+images
Keith

Tracy_McGee
07-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks Jerry and Keith! :D