PDA

View Full Version : Still Trying: Thoughts on These?

KirkDarling
06-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Two more possibilities:

Untitled as Yet (but accepting ideas)

http://www.lord-and-darling.net/tech/images/rachel2.jpg

Poised by Nature
http://www.lord-and-darling.net/tech/images/madyson.jpg

Since I took this picture, the young lady has donated her hair to "Locks of Love."

StaceyDamon
06-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Just gorgeous Kirk...I love that little girl especially. She is an old soul!

Stan_Lawrence
06-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Kirk, the little girl is adorable.....I'd crop just below her hair so they don't ding you for the hands....:cool:

Jack_Reznicki
06-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd crop just below her hair so they don't ding you for the hands....:cool:

Funny, I like the hands. It's what makes her a little girl.
That's what makes horse races. And print competitions.

Mark_Levesque
06-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I like the little girl the best, Kirk, but I think she needs some headroom. I don't mind the hands a bit.

Nice avatar, Jack. Broad light notwithstanding. :D

Jack_Reznicki
06-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Nice avatar, Jack. Broad light notwithstanding. :D

Thanks Mark. Credit to Joyce Tenneson.

Stan_Lawrence
06-30-2007, 07:27 PM
"Funny, I like the hands. It's what makes her a little girl.

Actually I do too, if I were judging it, it's a merit. I was thinking of a lot of the judging I've seen over the years....:cool:
I hope her father owns a shotgun, in about 10 years he's gonna need it....;)

John_Throneburg
06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
You have two great images. The child seems to be everyone's favorite so far. I really like one of the lady too - nice skin tones, colors, lighting, etc. From my limited experience in watching judging, it seemed that images of beautiful women didn't impact the judges as much as images of children. I'm sure that the impact a photo has on a judge would vary with one's experiences.

I think I would like to see a little more headroom on the child or maybe move her down a little to get her eyes on the third.

Keith_A_Howe
07-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Kirk
I like both images but the little girl definately has the better chance for meriting. I have no problems with her hands at all. I would crop it horz. though just below the shoulder line and still keep the full width that you are showing here. I feel that it adds impact this way and takes away from her hair that is splitting on her shoulder some.
The young lady is a beautiful subject but we are looking square into her shoulder and the backs of her hands. The hand is about the size of a face and distracts from the graceful elegance of her face. In most cases a womans hands should be photographed to show the edge or profile of the hand making them graceful. As she is pictured here I do not believe the lady would merit, the girl as she is, might merit and with work I believe would merit.
JMO Keith

Keith_A_Howe
07-07-2007, 03:34 AM
From my limited experience in watching judging, it seemed that images of beautiful women didn't impact the judges as much as images of children. I'm sure that the impact a photo has on a judge would vary with one's experiences.

John As a judge I find that there is not a decernable difference in women vs children as far as impact. It is how the skillfully the images are handled that makes the difference. You brought up impact. This is THE strongest element we look for. Impact can be from color harmony, lighting, subject or composition and usually a combination of these things. A good judge doesn't let personal experiences (how or how many children or women or whatever they photograph) effect them. It is how the image impacts them as a viewer. As well as the other elements.
Keith

Lowell_Hunt
07-07-2007, 05:15 AM
[QUOTE=KirkDarling;85591]Two more possibilities:

I think a good title for the little girl could be "Age Of Innocence" but, at the same time. I like your title to.

Lowell_Hunt
07-07-2007, 05:29 AM
[QUOTE=KirkDarling;85591]Two more possibilities:

Reguarding the young woman I would title it as an old favorite song of mine. "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"