PDA

View Full Version : For critique please

Karen_Linsley
06-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Here's one, I'd like to know if this would be suitable for submission for certification:

Rory_Schweighart
06-29-2007, 08:28 PM
I like it you might take it down just a tag the highlights on the head and sholder seems blown out a touch. and if there is more space by the feet you might add a touch.

Karen_Linsley
06-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks Rory.

Mark_Levesque
06-30-2007, 12:18 AM
This is a difficult place to get a good photograph due to the mottled light falling on the subjects. Light filtered through trees like that plays **** on exposure. The issues here are uneven light in general and blown highlights on the child's forehead and his sister's shoulder in particular. If you had the RAW file and could photoshop this into correctness, I'd also burn down the highlight on their feet, but honestly it would be a lot easier to avoid this kind of light in the first place.

Karen_Linsley
06-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks Mark, somehow I thought that's what you would say! I looked for a place with full shade that conformed to the requests of the client, they wanted to be on the grass, that was the only shady area on the grass. My decision was to keep them in shade even if it was mottled shade, rather than put them in the sun. Perhaps next time I should have my assistant hold my reflector with the black side out over their heads to get rid of the mottled shade and have total shade?

I did work with the highlights: did the recovery thing in Lightroom, then in photoshop worked on the highlights on the baby's head, but left the girl's shoulder and feet alone.

So, bottom line, this will not do for certification?

Mark_Levesque
06-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Next time have your assistant hold a reflector to block the light or a diffusion panel to diffuse it. Must be nice to have an assistant! :)

So, bottom line, this will not do for certification?

I can't speak authoritatively because I haven't submitted my images yet, but I wouldn't use this image as is. Maybe with a lot of painful PS work you could eliminate the problems, but it would probably be easier to find a base image that's closer to where you want it to be. Sorry.

Jack_Reznicki
06-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Here's one, I'd like to know if this would be suitable for submission for certification:

Karen,

The background keeps fighting the midground. My eyes keep going to the back left part of the photo. It's too light and too in focus for me. Having the big black house on the right doesn't help that. I would have shot very wide open to soften teh background.
Also, regarding focus, the judges will get you on the bush growing out of the little girl's head.

Love their expressions and I'm sure they loved the background. But for judging, I'd crop it out and make the family and the expresions the photo, rather than the setting.

Karen_Linsley
06-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Ok, how about this one?

Karen_Linsley
06-30-2007, 09:48 PM
here's another:

Karen_Linsley
06-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Karen,

The background keeps fighting the midground. My eyes keep going to the back left part of the photo. It's too light and too in focus for me. Having the big black house on the right doesn't help that. I would have shot very wide open to soften teh background.
Also, regarding focus, the judges will get you on the bush growing out of the little girl's head.

Love their expressions and I'm sure they loved the background. But for judging, I'd crop it out and make the family and the expresions the photo, rather than the setting.

Thanks Jack! I like your new avatar by the way!

Karen_Linsley
06-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Here's another:

Jack_Reznicki
06-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Here's another:

Love this one. A lot.
The only nitpick comment is to crop tighter to get rid of the two verticle trees on the left side, so they are the dominant verticles.
Maybe, just maybe, crop it to a verticle, even into the tree branch leaves on the right. Maybe.

Thanks for the avatar comment. Joyce Tenneson took it. Credit to her. She can make anyone look good. ;)

Auralee_Dallas
06-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi Karen,
I would think all three of the new posts would fare better than the family portrait. I agree with the crop advice for the sunset image. On the engagement portrait, it's kind of hard to tell due to the size, but I would enhance the eyes and take off the facial shine. The bride is beautiful--on that one maybe remove the shadow on her forehead and pop up her veil.

Like I said, they are internet size and quality so it's hard to tell. I'm certainly no expert on the image submission, but if they are truly to be client prints then I think these are very nice.

Karen_Linsley
07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi Karen,
I would think all three of the new posts would fare better than the family portrait. I agree with the crop advice for the sunset image. On the engagement portrait, it's kind of hard to tell due to the size, but I would enhance the eyes and take off the facial shine. The bride is beautiful--on that one maybe remove the shadow on her forehead and pop up her veil.

Like I said, they are internet size and quality so it's hard to tell. I'm certainly no expert on the image submission, but if they are truly to be client prints then I think these are very nice.

Thanks Auralee....you mentioned an engagement portrait...I didn't post one of those, which are you referring to? I've got all weddings after the initial family shot. You can use post numbers. If it looks like an engagement portrait rather than a wedding, I don't know that it matters, but I was just curious.

Auralee_Dallas
07-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Good Morning Karen,
I meant the first one (the couple) of the three additional ones you posted. I realize now it's a wedding photo.

Cheri_MacCallum
07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Karen, in post #8, the hands are everywhere. My eye goes right to the hands.
The bride in post #9 doesn't look like she wants to be there and it affects the image. The veil looks to be burned too much as it's looking muddy here.

Dave_Cisco
07-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Karen, in post #8, the hands are everywhere. My eye goes right to the hands.
The bride in post #9 doesn't look like she wants to be there and it affects the image. The veil looks to be burned too much as it's looking muddy here.

You are so good....:D.....as in "good catch."

Cheri_MacCallum
07-02-2007, 03:00 AM
Dave you are too funny!!!

Karen_Linsley
07-02-2007, 02:36 PM
thanks all, this is exactly what I've been looking for; I appreciate all the comments. I will post some more soon.