PDA

View Full Version : Is this competition worthy?

Susan_Schetter
06-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Okay, I don't think I have ever posted here before but love reading all of the advice and cc. So I quess it is my turn to put myself out there.:o Do you think this image is worthy of competition? I definetly need to finalize the image and presentation but wanted to know if it is worth doing. Thanks in advanced for any cc or suggestions.

Susan Schetter

Susan_Schetter
06-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Not sure how to have the image larger and still be the proper requirements.

Mark_Levesque
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I see your post has languished here for hours without response. First of all, good for you for getting the wherewithal to take the plunge and put it out there for comment. Next, I'd ask what your goal for competition is. If it's only to accumulate merits, this image may or may not get you there. I'm not the most qualified to judge. But if it's to get you to become a better photographer, then I think this is "worthy" of competition. Work it up as you would present it. That's a useful exercise in and of itself. And post the resulting image. There are plenty of people here that will be happy to comment.

As for posting larger, you need to host the file elsewhere and link to it if you want to post larger.

D._Craig_Flory
06-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Susan;

I say enter it. As Mark said, you will get your feet wet and gain experience & knowledge from it. Sit in on judging and listen to comments made. Go to any print critiques and ask to have your prints talked about.

Here is how I see your image being presented. I hope this helps. Oh ... in the future, try to post in a size that is compatible with 20 X 16 or 16 x 20 since that's what you have to enter.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Ellie_webEnhanced.jpg

Susan_Schetter
06-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Mark - Thanks for the reply. I really want to grow as a photographer and if I merit along the way then great! I will work the image and repost.

Craig - Thanks for taking the time to work on the image. Really love how you have presented the image! Thanks for your help on this!

Susan

Dave_Prouty
06-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Is the rule still the same as to minimum image size? I believe it was 100 square inches on the 16x20. As long as the minimum is achieved, the format is irrelevant. Correct? I seem to recall printing some images for Bill Stevenson that we called "skinny minnys" which were narrow and long. As far as I know, all of Bill's that I printed merited. Not that I had anything to do with it.

D._Craig_Flory
06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi Dave;

You were close. It is 80 square inches for the image layer part of the presentation. This is from the 2007 rules:
MOUNTING

Print Entries
1. Print entries must be permanently mounted on standard mount
board material. No masonite, glass, stretcher or conventional
frames are allowed.
2. Images of any shape and size are allowed and must be mounted
on 16 x 20 mount board (recommended mounting thickness is
1/8" to 3/8")
3. No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that
may damage another entry.
4. Exception: PPA Master of Photography Degree holders may
submit images of any shape and size on a mount board a
minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square
inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24".

So, a non master enters a 20X16 or 16x20 overal mount board with the image layer at least 80 square inches. A Master still must have at least an 89 square inch image layer but it can be on another size and shape board.

Don_Chick
06-29-2007, 07:19 PM
2. Images of any shape and size are allowed and must be mounted
on 16 x 20 mount board (recommended mounting thickness is
1/8" to 3/8")

I think you answered the question in #2 above....

images of any size and shape are allowed....

The actual mount board size depends on Master/NonMaster designation.