PDA

View Full Version : Claim that PPA is a "degree mill"

Mark_McCall
06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
This is really strange.

I got a couple of short emails today from someone who did not sign the emails. I do not know this person, I've had no prior email exchanges before.

Came from this address: jefforniles@gmail.com

Here's the first:

"Is this where you can buy a photo degree for a hundred bucks? I've heard about this but never actually thought it was true. Oh my God!"

My Response:
Funny....especially coming from somebody too cheap to pay for an email account. LOL
(Gmail accounts are free).

Second email from this person:
"Darn it, I spent my money on my real photography degree. You only spent $100 to be a so-called "Master of Photography. Maybe next year PPA will offer a Doctor of Photography.."

I have no idea who this person is, or what their beef is with me, or even why they think I'm a Master. (I'm still 3 merits short).

If anyone has some infomation for this clown on how difficult it is to reach Master, please email him. I haven't a clue as to who he/she is or their motivation for contacting me.

Gregory_Aide
06-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Thank you for posting this, we have been having some issues with spammers going to personal profiles and getting e-mail addresses. We have since disabled guests being allowed to view member profiles, please be assured that PPA is taking legal action to handle this.

More information:

http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6948&highlight=poison

Thanks

Mark_McCall
06-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Matt,
My gut feeling is that it's not spam.
The guy mentioned how "small I looked in that chair".

The only photograph I know of me like that is on the www.spppa.com website where I spoke last month.

Weird.

Gregory_Aide
06-26-2007, 06:51 PM
It sounds like he got your information from their website. It's a shame that people like this are out there.

Dea_Bell
06-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Sounds like pure jealousy to me.

Mark_Levesque
06-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm unclear on the benefit of answering such an email. If they're looking for attention, this gives it to them. Click the trash can instead. :)

Mark_McCall
06-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Your right Mark.
I've blocked the guy from sending any more email.

I haven't a clue who the guy is, but I have his IP address.

I'm comparing it to members on a couple of forums I'm on.

Anne_LeBouton
06-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I'd only be concerned if it was a mass marketing effort aimed at photographers who are not members to discredit PPA and discourage them from joining.

Gregory_Aide
06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
We've discovered a little more about it, he is not a member of this forum, but we think that he may be an ex-member of PPA. He has been talking directly with Al Hopper, making false accusations about our education that we offer to members. The guy's name is Jeff Fuller, so if you get any junk from him just delete it.

Tod_Gomes
06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Interesting. I wonder how many people he/they have wasted their time sending this to?:rolleyes:

(I'm still 3 merits short).

So you still need to pay another $150 then right?;) :D

KirkDarling
06-27-2007, 01:01 AM
It only costs $100 to be a "Master?" Gee, it costs more than that just to enter a competition.

Dave_Prouty
06-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Heck! It costs more than that to just join!

Where do these people come from????

Jack_Reznicki
06-27-2007, 03:09 AM
The best way to get rid of pests is to shine a light on them.
Hey, did I say that out loud. :rolleyes:

When I was in China, Don Dickson showed a film put together by Don Emmerich of Loan Prints. It was great to see these images in an International setting and it made you proud to be a PPA member.

If that's "selling" degrees, we need to sell more. :D
Images talk, people hiding behind anonymous emails.... well you know.

Howard_Barlow
06-27-2007, 04:39 AM
That's really a good deal, though. Entergy Co. is charging me $100's every month to maintain 72°.

Jack_Reznicki
06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
That's really a good deal, though.

LOL. Love it Howard.

They didn't "upgrade" your funnybone, by chance at MD Anderson.
Those guys are great. ;)

D._Craig_Flory
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Hmmm, I wonder. Could this guy be a member of WPPI ? :D

Rory_Schweighart
06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
It sounds like a person with a acadimic masters dagree that cant make a living as a photographer. Maybe he should join and sit in on some marketing classes. :)

Tracy_McGee
06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
It sounds like a person with a acadimic masters dagree that cant make a living as a photographer. Maybe he should join and sit in on some marketing classes.That was my first though as well. ;) This must be the week of bizarre e-mails. I've sure had my share.

Howard_Kier
06-27-2007, 07:11 PM
While waiting for some work to process, I googled "Jeff Fuller" photo. I find it quite interesting that I did not find any website devoted to him as a photographer. However, there is a NASCAR driver names Jeff Fuller and there is also a composer by that name. I did find a resume for another Jeff Fuller (could be this one and then again might not be) who attended CCAD (I forgot what that is) but it did not seem to be a "known" school. Finally, I found a page with some photos on them by other photographers with a Jeff Fuller receiving credit as an assistant.

Rory_Schweighart
06-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I also googled him and think this is his real name Niles J. Fuller he seems like a bar band photographer from Austin Tx

Mike_Fulton
06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Matt,

Well you do look kinda small in that chair Mark :D

Seriously though thanks for posting it and if I can do anything to help you out on TPF let me know I will gladly track the IP addy using my MOD status for you!

I really wanted to make it up to one of your speaking engagements on your exam prep!

Jim_Bolen
06-30-2007, 12:56 AM
who attended CCAD

Columbus College of Art & Design. I went there for a bit. Great art school, but their photography program was just way too artsy for me. They didn't focus on any technical stuff, which is what I wanted.

Gregory_Aide
07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
We've already banned his IP from ourppa.com, and we're keeping an eye out. no need for jealous trouble makers.

Dave_Cisco
07-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Matt,

The only photograph I know of me like that is on the www.spppa.com website where I spoke last month.

Weird.

May not be just one guy....
Jeff or Niles @ g(ay)mail .com
Maybe a gay couple???:D

Linda_Gregory
07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
gmail isn't a 'gay' email host, it's google's. I have several gmail addys, great for storage and on the go forwarding.

Dave_Cisco
07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
gmail isn't a 'gay' email host, it's google's. I have several gmail addys, great for storage and on the go forwarding.

...just seemed so appropriate...:D

Mark_McCall
07-02-2007, 05:50 PM
I also googled him and think this is his real name Niles J. Fuller he seems like a bar band photographer from Austin Tx
Interesting..
I wonder why he contacted me of the blue, how he found my email address, or why he even thinks I'm a master.
He's not man enough to sign his emails.

Here's my last email to him after his last contact:

For an "educated" guy, your not very smart.

Since the degree is only $100...that explains why Masters are everywhere. LOL.

Your mails have been posted on the office refrigerator to the delight of my staff....also posted to the PPA site.
Casual days are Fridays around here...thanks for bringing it several days early. LOL.

BTW...you've been blocked. LOL

I blocked him from sending me any more emails.
Very strange.

Mark_McCall
07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Found this link:
http://www.austintaceous.net/njfuller.htm

Dave_Cisco
07-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Interesting..

Since the degree is only $100...that explains why Masters are everywhere. LOL.

Sounds like the cost of a Super Monday + merit.:D

Jim_Lersch
07-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Mark,

Haven't seen you since we were up in NH, hope all is well.

Yes, there is humor in it but still, we that have earned our degrees know that it's not a cakewalk. It takes work and we DO earn them. The guy's nuts, perhaps there's a good institution that we can suggest....Dave, good to see you here as well. You guys in TX stick together and I appreciate your humor as well, thanks!

Mark_McCall
07-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Hey Jim,
It was good to meet you in NH. Your work is simply amazing. I was very impressed, although I didn't get to see all of your program.

I've been on the road almost constantly since NH. Even missed our state summer seminar last week. Let's stay in touch.

Dave,
Too bad I missed Kerrville. My first miss in 10 years.

Mark_McCall
07-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Well you do look kinda small in that chair Mark :D

Seriously though thanks for posting it and if I can do anything to help you out on TPF let me know I will gladly track the IP addy using my MOD status for you!

I really wanted to make it up to one of your speaking engagements on your exam prep!

Hey Mike...good to hear from you.
I see your name everywhere these days. I'm proud to say I know you.
I overheard someone talking about your work at WPPI.
I haven't visited TPF much lately. Too much travel.

I'm talking some time off the rest of this year to catch up on some personal projects I've been wanting to work on.

Ellen_Adams
07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
This definitely sounds like sour grapes to me. I am a PPA member, and I look forward to completing and earning a PPA degree. Perhaps this person is jealous, since he "paid" for his degree and might have flunked the PPA certification...hence the sour grapes attitude. ;) ;)

Based on what I've read on the forums so far, this is no cake walk. It is a true test of each photographer's skill and knowledge. So now, we know his name and we can ignore him. Period.

Howard_Barlow
07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I never tried to buy my Masters. But, I remember when I was about 7, I sent in my dollar to the ad on the back of a comic book for the Davy Crockett flashlight that looked kind of like a Pez dispenser. It never came. Never.:( :( :(

I'm not sure what the connection, if any, to PPA and a Master's degree, but it is still sad. I was only 7. It never came. I still go to the mailbox everyday. Nothing.

Dan_Leary
07-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I never tried to buy my Masters. But, I remember when I was about 7, I sent in my dollar to the ad on the back of a comic book for the Davy Crockett flashlight that looked kind of like a Pez dispenser. It never came. Never.:( :( :(

Very similar to the disappoinment I felt when I discovered that the x-ray glasses from the back of the comics didn't work....

Mark_Levesque
07-06-2007, 01:52 AM
You must have looked a sight running around the beach with those funny glasses on. :)

Dave_Cisco
07-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Very similar to the disappoinment I felt when I discovered that the x-ray glasses from the back of the comics didn't work....

I'm still looking for a pair.:D

R._Edward_Lewis
07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I have an AAS in Photographic Imaging Technologies, am SPFE and CPC certified, a member of PMAI and it was a lot of work! If that joker thinks he can 'buy' a certification tell him to check out the IFPO or International Freelance Photographers Organization...I think he will enjoy that. They sell you credentials that make it APPEAR as if you are a certified, licensed press photographer and even give you an 'assignment' letter stating you are gathering images for their magazine, which does not exist. Geez, to think I spend two years of hard study, over $24,000 and all I had to do was fork over a hundered bucks!! LOL really LOL.

D._Craig_Flory
07-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi group;

He thinks a college degree is the way to go. Not only that, he is filing a lawsuit to force PPA to stop using "Master" of Photography. He thinks a Masters must be from a college and that PPA has no right to use it.

Linda_Gregory
07-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Where is this information, D Craig? Online somewhere where it can be rebutted?

D._Craig_Flory
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi Linda;

I sent him an e-mail (using my hotmail ... I didn't want him to have my studio e-mail) His 1st reply wasn't bad but in his 2nd he really came across as a nutcase. I used the e-mail first alluded to at the start of this thread.

Howard_Kier
07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi group;

He thinks a college degree is the way to go. Not only that, he is filing a lawsuit to force PPA to stop using "Master" of Photography. He thinks a Masters must be from a college and that PPA has no right to use it.

I guess he just does not remember his history very well. Going back in time, about 200 years ago or so when a person learned a craft there were three levels. A person started out as an Apprentice. After apprenticing and learning the craft a man became a Journeyman. A Journeyman was allowed to work on his own and travelled from village to village plying his craft. Some men never progressed beyond Journeymen.

When the craft was well and truely learned, in otherwords the person was an expert, they were given the title of Master. A Master of the craft, be it blacksmith, silversmith, cooper or other craft was allowed to settle down in a town and open their own shop and take on Apprentices to teach. Paul Revere is probably the most famous Master Silversmith in US history.

Curiously, it was through these feudal designations that institutions of higher learning started to call the degree beyond the Bachelor's Degree a Master's degree. It was to give their graduates the same rank and privledges as a Master craftsmen. For it was those Master's of Science who did the research and taught the newer students (apprentices at the university).

A quick search of the Internet shows there are Master Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, Builders and Mechanics. I'm willing to bet that many of those who claim this designation have not received their "degrees" from a college but rather through a certification program via their union or guild.

So this gentleman is gravely mistaken in his assumption that the only way to become a Master is through college. A craftmen's guild can determine who is and who is not a Master of their Craft. PPA certainly seems like a photographer's guild to me.

Howard_Kier
07-18-2007, 04:49 PM
BTW, It is not a coincidence that the words "Master" and "Mister" differ by only 1 letter.

Anne_LeBouton
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
If anything, the standards to obtain a Master's degree from the PPA are much more consistent than those of a Master's degree from a University. Standards vary greatly from school to school. We know people who have Masters of Fine Art degrees in photography who would find it hard to qualify for a Masters degree from the PPA. The quality of their work isn't up to PPA standards. On photographer we know who has a MFA was amazed after joining our state association at the difference between what he was taught in college and what photographers in our state were producing. He realised he still had allot to learn.

Tod_Gomes
07-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi group;

he is filing a lawsuit to force PPA to stop using "Master" of Photography.

What is it with these sue happy people?:mad: Next thing you know he will be spilling coffee on himself and putting fingers in his Chili.

I was at the GYM today and maybe I should sue 24hour fitness because on the back of their employee shirts they read "Master trainer"