PDA

View Full Version : 1st Competition & Late Entry -- Advise Please

DiannaAllen
06-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello All, I'm new to the forum and my studio has only been open since 11/05. So I guess techniquely I'm still a rookie. I am considering entering a few prints but would appreciate your feedback first. I have 4 versions of this image. 2 are attached now. I'll attach one other one and the original does not include the ghosted background image.

Thanks
Dianna

DiannaAllen
06-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Shall We was an image I capturing during a prom promotional this year.

D._Craig_Flory
06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Diana;

I like the 3rd one posted of the couple since the ghost image is diagonal from the main image. It seems to have very muddy tones ... is there a lot more contrast on the high res file ? You need to make the accent line smaller and with a slightly deeper tone. It is too much now and grabs my eyes. I like the concept a lot.

On the heart shape couple ... also looks muddy. Part of her far eye is visable. You will get nailed, on a profile, for having anything of the far eye showing. It is difficult to tell - is she pulling on a shirt or vest or tie ? I hope the judges will be able to tell easily. This one is the opposite of the 1st one. You need an accent line around the heart is a tone just bright enough to set it off.

On the scenic ... what is the center of interest ?

With the bride - once again it looks muddy. The subject layer is in a good position except I would flip the subject layer so she is facing into the middle instead of out the right side. And you need a grey accent line around the subject layer.

Good luck

DiannaAllen
06-18-2007, 05:58 PM
What is best way to size images for posting here? I see that they are definitely not good quality the way I did it.

The third image is also my favorite. The stroke around the image actually looks much larger in the low res file than it did on the original 16 x 20. The high res files are not "muddy" lots of contrast. Heart shaped image has a red stroke around heart, can you not see it? Also, only her lash edges are visible on the far side. None of her "eye" is visible.

Guess there is no center of interest in the sunrise image... I'll can it. Are you saying I need to remove the stroke I have around the Tharonn image (which was pulled from colors in bouquet) and change it to grey?

Thanks for your feed back.

D._Craig_Flory
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi Diana;

I use Photobucket to post images from. Some have a problem with that site because of copyright issues ... so, I just place my copyright notice on images.

No, I can't see the red stroke on the heart shape.

Even eyelashes showing are a no-no. You can take them out in Photoshop.

For an accent line stroke, I always use the minimum I can use and still see it under "show print size". On a 250 ppi 20X16 that can be anywhere from 3 up to 8 pixels depending on the image.

The more you compete, the more some things become 2nd nature.

Stacey_West
06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
What is best way to size images for posting here?
This way works for me:

1. Open a free www.flickr.com account
2. Post your images there
3. Go online to the images you've posted there and click on the image you want to post to this forum; this will cause a larger image to display
4. Right click on the larger image, choose "properties" and then copy the "address"
5. Back on this forum inside your post click on the "insert image" button, above. It is the fifth button from the right on the bottom row. If you've blocked popups then you will need to allow them.
6. A dialog box will appear. Paste the "address" you've copied from flickr into the text box and click OK.

That ought to do it. Hope this helps.

Mark_Levesque
06-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I will note for the record that the flickr TOS insist you link to the page, not to the image directly, but I don't know that anyone's been spanked for linking directly.

DiannaAllen
06-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Here is a revised version of Tharonn. I did not like her just flipped to change direction she was looking. It looked awkward. Moved step location....
Since I only had one member give me any feedback does that mean I should just forget entering. Are the images that bad?

Here is another one I was considering of a rose.

Thanks
Dianna

D._Craig_Flory
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Diana;

I'll be glad when you are able to post bigger. It's sort of like years ago when little kids when watch a baseball game through a hole in the outfield fence - they could see it but not very well.

Ok ... the bride you re-posted: I don't like her at the 2nd quadrant. We read left to right. That's why I mentioned having her at the lower right 4th quadrant and facing back into the center so our view would come in from the left to her. The contrast is much better and the accent line looks good ... as much as I can tell in the small size.

With the flower ... I love it - just not as presented. To help you I'm posting how I see it. I made it a horizontal and a good bit smaller. I flipped the flower also. I hope my changes help. And I put it on Photobucket so you can get an idea of how big you can post. I could have saved it as a 10X8.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DianasRose.jpg

DiannaAllen
06-19-2007, 03:12 PM
I like the changes to the rose...one small correction...my name has 2 n's.

D._Craig_Flory
06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi Dianna;

I will lean up against the wall now so you can get out the whip and beat me to a pulp. I am sorry but I have an excuse for missing the 2nd N ... I'm old. :o

I have asked others to look and post about your images so hopefully you will get more soon. I'm glad you like my changes. My hope is that you learn to understand why I did what I did with it.

DiannaAllen
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Tharonn8x10.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/ShallWeOption3810.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/AFathersDream.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/ShallWeOption28x10.jpg

DiannaAllen
06-19-2007, 04:14 PM
That's okay about the name.... just thought I'd nip it in the bud early on since I hope to get alot of use out of this forum. Thanks for your input... oh yeah on the eyelash issue in Shall We I've had someone that serves as a judge tell me the lash is okay so I left it.

Dave_Cisco
06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Dianna;

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DianasRose.jpg

About the rose...
It took awhile for me to understand what the big boys were talking about years ago when they referred to brides as the "suicide category of competition". Their message was that since judges saw thousands of them, anyone expecting to score well with a bride(other than the groom:D ) would have to show something so incredibly gorgeous that the judges would simply HAVE to reward it with 80+. Well, I think competing with flowers is even tougher than that....not only have all judges seen beautiful flower images(thousands of them), so has everyone watching the judging. Having said all of that, I like Flory's version a little better than the original because of the more saturated color. However, I would have to see the image "in person" and up close to really evaluate sharpness, texture, rim-lighting, and luminescence. :)

Jane_Lydick_Staid
06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello Dianna,

I really like the maternity image, but the blue just sticks out like a sore thumb, I would swith the stroke to a neutral gray.

I dont think the image of the bride will do well in competition. The desaturation takes away from the image as well as the harsh shadow from the bouquet. I was always told never to light a bride with broad lighting it's a more masculine pattern.

As for the rose, I think the saturation should be pumped up and the background of the image itself shoud be darkened for more contrast. Dont forget to use the title "Delicate Beauty" Steve Bedell from NH claims he invented it.

As for the prom shot, the partial eye needs to be fixed. I just dont know about the heart vignette, not my cup of tea. I would like to see this image done without the heart.

I hope this helps, good luck.

DiannaAllen
06-20-2007, 12:57 AM
using grey stroke.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/AFathersDream2.jpg

DiannaAllen
06-22-2007, 05:05 AM
Hey all,
Just wanted to report that this couple saw this for the first time today and flipped out. They simply LOVED it! :D :D Ch Ching!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
06-23-2007, 12:23 AM
I do like the first two, but wish I could see them bigger...

Cindi_K_McDaniel
06-23-2007, 12:25 AM
oops, just spotted the one I wanted to see the most. I love the emotions here.