PDA

View Full Version : Framing Suggestions?

Cindi_Penrod
06-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Hey guys. I think I want to use this image (shot this week) for competition, but every attempt I've made to frame it into the 16X20 format it just looks boring. I want a dynamic framing, just not sure what will best suit the image. Any suggestions?

http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_535616.jpg

The title I have in mind is - Dangerous Curves Ahead

KirkDarling
06-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Your problem tends to be true when the proportions are already at 4:5 or close to it.

With your image, I'd frame it exactly as you've done here--make the framing proportion precisely 4:5 and enlarge it to 16x20 so that you have only the very narrow black frame that you show here.

Stacey_West
06-16-2007, 03:05 AM
I tried step mounting with a black, then a white and then a narrow yellow border. I liked it on all three colors.

I don't recall seeing in competition many bright yellow step mounts - make that any (and there's probably a reason for that!!!) - but the yellow one was my favorite.

Nice photo. Good luck

Cindi_Penrod
06-16-2007, 04:31 AM
Great advice so far, thanks so much. So a yellow step mount or basically full frame should do best for this one? I hate that its dimensions are so restricted, but the shot is almost completely full frame - no real wiggle room.
I will try again in the morning and post my result.

D._Craig_Flory
06-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Cindi;

I'm leaving to do outdoor engagement portraits. When I get back I'll post my thoughts.

D._Craig_Flory
06-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi Cindi;

I've never competed with any images quite like this one. My first suggestion is to get the subject layer much smaller. I would add an empty layer and add an accent line. Next, make it a Parallelogram. Then rotate the subject layer about the same angle.

As I said, I've never had an image like this in competition. Since the original image is a square composition you have to force it into a rectangle is some way or other. My idea may not fly but it may spark other ideas.

I did a mock up and hope this helps.

Nylora_Bruleigh
06-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Have you tried it with the line in "electric Blue" from the bottom of the shoe?
I think that might give you some added impact. Although, I think the bright yellow shoes great alone with the black Frame around it as you posted--again impact!

Guess I am not much help?! Sorry.

Jeff_Dachowski
06-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Cindi,
I think it needs to be a dead center right in the middle mirror type presentation. Consider your stoke to be the exact opposite color as the shoe. You can choose that in photoshop very easily. Good luck.
Jeff

KirkDarling
06-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Cindi,
I think it needs to be a dead center right in the middle mirror type presentation. Consider your stoke to be the exact opposite color as the shoe. You can choose that in photoshop very easily. Good luck.
Jeff

That would be some deep tone of violet, which would work.

Spencer_Boerup
06-20-2007, 08:17 AM
To me this isn't about complimentary colors, its all about impact of bright yellow. Keeping it yellow would be my choice, but I also like the parralellagram idea. That might lose a little impact, but really like the simplicity of the black border, maybe just a very thin yellow on the inside or middle of that black border would add some sophistication.

Keely_Deuschle
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
This is a great image. I've been following this thread and I think that pulling a nearly black blue or violet out of the sole/heel for the border really gives it some additional pop, in my opinion.

Cindi_Penrod
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey - Sorry I haven't replied more quickly. I have been reading the suggestions and tried several of them.

The paralellagram didn't work for me. As soon as I tilted the subject it lost its impact and looked much more abstract. In the end I went with a nearly full-frame image with a thin black seperator and yellow behind (only about 1/2 an inch). I ordered a studio sample like that. Once I see it full-size I'll decide if that's the way I want the comp. print to look.

As much as I love competing, I TOTALLY stress over prepping shots for competition. I really appreciate the feedback from you guys! Helps tons. :D

Cindi