PDA

View Full Version : Winona

Leon_Adelstone
06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
OK...I've apparently been on another planet for awhile.

What happened to Winona ? I was aware it moved to Atlanta...but I didn't know it no longer existed.

What happened, and when ?

D._Craig_Flory
06-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Leon;

I think the downfall was when it moved from Illinois to Atlanta. The PPA had something like a 100 year thing where they paid all of $1.00 a year for the location they were in. Photographers loved it there. They moved and it was not the same.

Also, in it's heyday, there were not nearly as many other schools around as there are now. Plus, PPA started the Super Monday programs. So, for $99.00, we can get an educational merit for a one day class.

I'm going to be anxious to see if anyone knows the last year that Winona operated.

David_A._Lottes
06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi Guys
Here's the blurb about Winona from the PPA websites time line.

The Daguerre Club of Indiana donated to PAA a building in Winona Lake, Indiana, for the purpose of establishing a photography school. Thus was born the professional school which was to become the Winona International School of Professional Photography. Winona operated classes for professional photographers each summer until 1984, when the school relocated to its Mount Prospect, Illinois campus, where it operated until 1994 when it was relocated to Atlanta, Georgia. Thousands of photographers from all parts of the world have attended Winona classes to update their skills or develop abilities in other fields of photographic application under the guidance of some of the nation's outstanding professional image makers. The school changed its name to the PPA International School of Photography in 1999.

When I moved to Texas and was looking for a job I had all sorts of garbage on my resume designed to impress a potential employer. When I did get a job they told me the one thing on my resume that impressed them most was not my experience or my four year degree in Fine Art. It was the fact that I had taken a class at Winona. :cool:

Jack_Reznicki
06-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm going to be anxious to see if anyone knows the last year that Winona operated.

I have a bad memory for dates, but Winona closed about 5 years ago. I'll see if I can get a better date if you want.

I was actually the last standing Winona Trustee. I was the last Trustee still on the PPA Education Committee.

We antagonized for about 4 to 5 years about closing it. It was a lot of long, soul searching meetings. It was losing a lot of money every year and we tried to keep it going. We kept it open longer than we should have.
The truth was people would not travel to go to the school. The Affiliate Schools were on the upswing (and if you look, 80 to 90% of their attendees are drive in students).
With schools like the Texas School, who now pulls in 1,000 students, The West Coast School, MARS, GLIP, and all the affiliates (26 of them in all), doing so well, we decided to support that system as it was teaching many, many more students.
It wasn't PPA wanting to close Winona, we tried hard not to, it was students finding more options. When Winona was in its heyday, it was just about the only option. Look around today. There's a lot more options for education today , not even counting the Internet.

Hope that clarifies.

Anne_LeBouton
06-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I was sad to see it move from Mt. Prospect. While it was there, Gary and I were able to take quite a few classes for only the cost of the gas to get there and the class itself. My parents live less than a mile away and they were only to happy to put us up while we went to class as long as we brought the granddaughter with for them to spoil for a week.

Jim_Lersch
06-27-2007, 03:31 AM
Winona....ah, the memories. I was an instructor there for 2 summers (week long classes) and it was such a great way to teach. Many great times and fond memories!

Kathryn_Northcott
06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
My first classes after I got out of H.S. were at the Indiana Winona - Those were the good old days ...

Jim_Lersch
06-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Kathryn,

Welcome to OURPPA, glad to see you! Thanks agin for your hospitality in Illinois!!

PhotogCraig
06-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Winona was my first experience with being east of the Mississippi river other then when I lived in Italy.

And so since I was from Utah, and lived my whole life in dry country, it was a shock to my senses to experience the humidity at Winona.

Each time I walked out of a building, it felt like someone slapped me and wrapped me up with a wet towel.

As far as learning, it was great, and really one of the best things I could have ever done to take a giant leap forward with my photography.

I remember being in class for at least 12 hours a day if I remember right, perhaps even more then that.

I also remember arriving on a Sunday, and being hungry after the flight and time spent at the airport, but could not find anything in that area open on a Sunday afternoon / evening.

There were a group of great masters that taught the principles of professional portrature class that I attended, Frank Chricchio was the most memorable, but he was a whole bunch younger then, since this was back in the early 70s.

D._Craig_Flory
06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
There were a group of great masters that taught the principles of professional portrature class that I attended, Frank Chricchio was the most memorable, but he was a whole bunch younger then, since this was back in the early 70s.

Hi Craig;

I took a week with Frank at Triangle Institute of Photography in Pittsburg and he was well worth going. I had taken the basic portraiture course with Andy Torre a couple years before and took the advanced class with Frank

PhotogCraig
06-29-2007, 08:28 PM
The whole experience was worth every dime it cost, no doubt about that.

Two other experiences stood out also, Ok, three, time spend with Don Blair in his studio, a weekend with David Muench of Arizona highways fame, and Rocky Gunn on outdoor sunset weddings.

D._Craig_Flory
06-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi Craig;

You studied with Rocky ? WOW !!! We had him as a speaker for our Pa. group many years ago but it's not the same as actually studying with him at the ocean's shore.

PhotogCraig
06-30-2007, 04:43 AM
That was many, many years ago, the thing I remember the most was how energenic he was, and that he at first seeing my wife, picked her to model in a wedding dress with the others that he had there.

She was a dead ringer for Sally Field, back in the day that Sally Field was just starting out acting.

That was my first wife, and that was over 30 years ago because I have been married to my second wife going on 30 years now.