PDA

View Full Version : Life's a Beach

Rebecca_Willoughby
06-07-2007, 04:37 AM
I am not sending a case to nationals this year. I will be bringing one to my state convention though and I would like any input. This may go back to what sells vs. what is a comp print. I sold a very large one of these to her mommy and I have a large one in my studio that has booked solid my beach week this summer. But is this a comp print? I am emotionally attached to the child so therefore I need other opinions. Also, are these backgrounds from Photoshowcase over done for competition?

-Rebecca

Keith_A_Howe
06-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Rebecca,
Beautiful portrait for mom and certainly will not embarass you in print competition. IMO though, it will not merit. Two main reasons. Squint your eyes and look at the image. When you reduce it to strictly shapes, it is a straight up and down pillar dead center on a background with no base, no movement no flow for your eyes to follow through out the image. Also the background is way too sharp. Those two issues will place this image in the 76-78 range, above average but not meriting.

What it has going for it - nice color harmony and nice lighting. just refine the posing and use a narrower depth of field to throw the background out of focus . Position the subject so the horizon does not intersect her head. you might leave a little more space around her in the future if you are considering print competition. Generally mommies like a tighter crop than judges do.

Keith

Rebecca_Willoughby
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks Keith for your evaluation. I really appreciate yours and everyone else's help on this forum. I Know what I can sell to a mom, but judges are another story! Hopefully I will be able to get it eventually! Until then I'm beholdin' to ya'll!

Rebecca