PDA

View Full Version : A last minute creation, Critique please

Carl_Bromberg
06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Just wondering what you guys think of this one for comp. Any suggestions are more then welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Title is "Weathered"

Carl_Bromberg
06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Oops, forgot to attach the file.

Once again the title is "Weathered"

Thanks again.

Mark_Levesque
06-06-2007, 07:11 PM
The eyes bother me. It's cropped mighty close. Lighting is straight overhead. The pose is static. I'm not seeing this as a merit image. Sorry.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure what to think, but i'm drawn to this image. I would get rid of the unnatural glow in the eyes and with the right title.........

Derek_Alvarez
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I like the image but the eyes creep me out

KristiSanger
06-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I like the image but the eyes creep me out

same for me

Krisit

D._Craig_Flory
06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Carl;

I never like to see an image where the camera angle is up the nose. As presented, If I were judging I'd give it a 74. It has some good points to it. Keep posting.

Dave_Cisco
06-07-2007, 05:01 AM
I think it could have been a powerful character study, but it has some negatives. There doesn't appear to be any reason for the eye treatment...the only thing that could have explained it is the title, but it didn't. At first I was trying to correct the oblique lines in the background, then it hit me that they shouldn't be there in the first place.:(
I don't think it will get to 80.

Keith_A_Howe
06-07-2007, 05:14 AM
We are really bad - but I had Holly look at this print and she said the title she hears in her head when she sees it is (remember I said this was bad)

"Here Little Girly Girly. . . "

The guy looks like he is probably on a list somewhere so maybe that title would actually sell it. Pretty disturbing but sometimes thats what it takes. With that title I would squirm in my chair but probably push an 80.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
06-07-2007, 05:25 AM
At first I was trying to correct the oblique lines in the background, then it hit me that they shouldn't be there in the first place.:(

Dave - my title explains those lines - it's out in the backyard
where he is trying to lure that little girl and it's the house siding you are seeing. I would be bothered by the blotchy effect on the siding if I was judging this as a character study. With Holly's idea for a title I am seeing it as a statement on the problem in society of pedophiles. As such i see all the added effects - that I normally would judge as negatives - just add to the whole uncomfortable feeling I get from this image. So the image effects me - that means it has impact - negative impact is still impact. This is one of those images where the title will definately be crucial to meriting the image.
Before anybody crucifies me, let me say I do not like this image - because I do not like the way it makes me feel. If that was the goal of this photographer, then he succeeded and as a judge I must reward him for that success. Not often , but sometimes I sit on a panel and see an image that disturbes me. I have to remind myself that if we are allowed to convey beauty and joyful feelings through our work then we also must give each other the freedom to illustrate the darker side of society.
Keith

Stephanie_Millner
06-07-2007, 06:57 AM
I didn't read the title before I looked at the print and honestly, what Holly said is the first thing that came to my mind too... Not that that's a bad thing. The perspective you're looking at the subject from is the same as that of a young child looking up from the ground at an adult. Creepy! (in a good, artistic way)

(Mind you, other than a BA in art history, I have NO experience in this. Never done any competition)

Keith_A_Howe
06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
The perspective you're looking at the subject from is the same as that of a young child looking up from the ground at an adult. Creepy! (in a good, artistic way)

I felt that too, that it was the perspective of his "prey" but forgot to mention it. I am glad you brought it up. It perpetuates the story.

Whether this would merit or not is certainly debatable. But I do think it is an image that would create some interesting discussion on a judging panel. Sometimes having a print that creates contraversy is almost as fun as getting a merit.

Keith

jeffhaynie
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
The guy remionds me of Jack Nicholson when he was in "The Shining" all he needs is an axe.

Keith_A_Howe
06-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Carl doesn't have an avatar . . . you don't suppose this is a self portrait do you? :)

Carl_Bromberg
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Well it got a discussion going and that is what I was hoping for, as this is a far cry from what I normally do. Like what has been stated I also usually focus on the good things in life, but there is the "darker" side of life which over the last month I've seen some in my own life, 1st was the loss of a very dear friend and the grandmother from the other side of the family to my granddaughter to lung cancer, then my son who is going to school and working a convenience store got a broken nose from some idiot that he carded, the guy did'nt have an ID and my son refused to sell to him. Bright guy, he put on a great show for the in store video. Then there was the really dark side, a friend I use to work with, their grand child who was 8 years old was assaulted by some creep who they caught. So great interpretation Keith!

So this was a cumination of the last month, suppose to bring out the darker side of life, an emotion that creeps us all out but one we don't want, or don't feel comfortable talking about.

And yes Keith, this is a self portrait, I was pretty much the only willing subject for what I wanted to accomplish, and this creeped ME out! Oh and I usually don't look this bad! I just got through mowing the lawn and doing some other things around the house to purposely put me at my worst looking state then the enhancements in ps, mostly Lucis. Somehow I don't think I will use this as my avatar though!

Anyway if you have any title suggestions, I would really appreciate it as that is one of my weakest aspects of competition.

So if you have any suggeestions for title, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Keith_A_Howe
06-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Anyway if you have any title suggestions, I would really appreciate it as that is one of my weakest aspects of competition.

So if you have any suggeestions for title, I would really appreciate it.

Like I said before "Here Little Girly Girly"

Mark_Levesque
06-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Want Some Candy Little Girl?

Carl_Bromberg
06-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Appreciate the input, thanks!

Don_Chick
06-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Carl,

Neat image! When you get a chance please post a "nice" image of you so I can replace that one of you in my head!

Carl_Bromberg
06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Will do Don! LoL, I really don't like myself in this image either. I've been told by my girlfriend I look twenty years older in this, not to mention very creepy.