PDA

View Full Version : Title doesn't fit in boxes

Lori_Clapp
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I am filling out the entry forms to send our prints in to PPA. On the form that goes on the back of the image, you just write out the title, but on the actual entry form, there are those annoying little boxes you put the titles in, and it says "do not exceed alloted space".

Does this mean my title has to be shortened if it doesn't fit? Or is this just a reference for the judges, and when they read the entire title on the back of the print, the judges will know which one they are talking about since my title is cut short on the entry form?

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks for any help.

PS - Kind of a rush question, since these are due in what, 7, 8 days??

D._Craig_Flory
05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi Lori;

I never, ever fill out forms on the actual forms. That is mainly because I have a lousy handwriting. I scan them and fill them out in Photoshop. I know that everything will be legible this way. I even have my signature saved as a brush. I don't know if this will be a help or not in getting a title to fit. I would suggest that you put the full title in the alloted space but also write it in big letters on the back of the print so the person announcing titles can easily read it.

Lori_Clapp
05-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Craig - doing them in Photoshop sounds like a lot of work!

You said to put the full title in the alloted space - that's the problem - the full title doesn't FIT in the alloted space. It does fit on the form that goes on the back of the print.

My space bar is freaking out - sometimes it doesn't work at all, and at random times, it puts two spaces in. Not that you care, but someone might. Just thought I'd throw that in. I love hijacking threads, although not usually my own.

If anyone wants to comment on my space bar issues, feel free, but I'm really more interested in my print comp issues. Thanks!

Dave_Cisco
05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
There might be a limit to the fields when they enter the title into the computer.

Auralee_Dallas
05-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Are you doing it online???

Lori_Clapp
05-31-2007, 01:11 AM
No, I'm not doing it online. I downloaded the entry forms. There are two forms, one for the back of each print. This form has a line for the title, and no limit to how long the title can be.
The actual Entry Form has boxes for the titles, and the instructions say not to exceed the number of spaces.
I get it that there might be a limited number of spaces for their computer, etc., what I need to know is....does the title have to be changed to fit in the boxes - or is the entry form just a reference and they will actually use the title from the back of the print???

YO KEITH - where are you??? Anyone else? Has no one else had this problem?

Keith_A_Howe
05-31-2007, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=Lori Clapp;80349]
YO KEITH - where are you??? QUOTE]

Duh Lori, where do you think I am? It's a week before print deadline. I am slaving over a hot computer trying to come up with 4 entries for EI competition. (Sidebar- I want everyone to know that I will be doing my fair share to support PPA monetarily this year by paying a late fee for my EI case) I don't know the official answer and Jim Dingwell is not answering his phone this evening. Can't say I blame him, I bet his ears are fried from all the calls he has probably got in the last few weeks. Anway here's what I would do. In the past when I had a title that was too long I just ignored the boxes for each letter and made it fit in the space. Besides the print crew reads the title off the label on the back of the print. They don't even see the official entry form. So as long as you have it written how you want it read on the back label, it's all good. The only reason I can think it might be an issue on the entry form (if you don't have the full title) is if your print goes Loan or general collection showcase book. Then they might take the name from the entry form and if so it would be wrong, part left off. But even that is not a big problem cause Marathon Press sends you a proof of your image with your name and print title to approve before it is printed so you could correct any title issues on that proof. I would not worry about it and just write the title how you want it to be read. If Jim calls me back and tells me any different I will let you know. But trust me, if they DQ'd your case for that, they would also have to give you your print case fee back. Think that's ever gonna happen? Course not.

Back to my hot computer to see what I can cook up.
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
05-31-2007, 02:10 AM
IDoes this mean my title has to be shortened if it doesn't fit? Or is this just a reference for the judges, and when they read the entire title on the back of the print, the judges will know which one they are talking about since my title is cut short on the entry form?

The judges never see the entry forms so that isn't an issue.

Lori_Clapp
05-31-2007, 02:48 AM
Thank you everyone!! And Keith, thanks for checking for me. It never occurred to me that you would already be working on your prints - you still have a week before you have to rush them in one day and drive them to Lincoln - why are you starting so EARLY this time?

I am going to cram my title into the boxes - and I guess if the worst that would happen is that if it goes loan it might have the wrong title, well, I'd probably be too ecstatic to care about the title at that point!!

BTW it's Holly's title that's causing the problem...."I'll show you mine if you show me yours"!

Cheri_MacCallum
05-31-2007, 03:23 AM
Lori,
To answer your question, yes it has to fit! This cuts down on really long titles!

Dave_Prouty
05-31-2007, 03:42 AM
If you have to make the title fit and the original won't fit, perhaps shortening it to something like "I'll show if you do" would work.

Lori_Clapp
05-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Lori,
To answer your question, yes it has to fit! This cuts down on really long titles!

Cheri - it would be nice if they would tell us that BEFORE we enter them in our local competition where there is no limit on title length! On this particular image, all the judges at our local convention commented on how much they liked the title, and how well it fit the image.

Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me! It's not my image anyway, and I think I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for the responses!

Cheri - please don't feel like I'm blaming you, or being rude - I just don't get it! Thanks!

Keith_A_Howe
05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Lori, I just got off the phone with Jim Dingwell - the guy you ship that case to. He said just what I told you last night. You can name the print whatever you want, however long a title you want. Write the title as you want it read on the label on the back of each print. The entry form itself is just for tracking. I was right, anything that goes Loan or Showcase book, that info comes from the database file and would be just what you were able to fit on the entry form, not the longer title as on the individual label. So if that happens you will need to make sure you correct the title when you see the proof for the book.

Keith

Lori_Clapp
06-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Keith thank you for checking on this! And tell Holly thanks for the call on it - I just got her message! I will finish my title and ship my cases tomorrow! Yay!