PDA

View Full Version : How are the titles read?

Stephanie_Hobson
05-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a question for those of you that have watched the judging, or are a judge yourself. When the print titles are read, does the reader use any inflection, or is it pretty much a monotone? If you put a word in caps, will they emphasize that word?

Here's an example:

What WERE you thinking?

What were you THINKING?

or

YOU did that?

You did THAT?

And what if you want the title sung? (Just kidding. ;) ) You know what WOULD be really cool, though? Those greeting cards that play a tune when you open them... if you could attach one of those thingamajigs to a print and it would start playing when the judges see it. How cool would that be? (On a side note, did you know that thingamajigs is in Spell Check?)

Stephanie

Liz_Vance
05-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm always amazed at the things that are NOT in Spell Check! :)

I've watched the judging a couple times, and they did put a little inflection in the titles. Alas, no singing, though.

Liz

Dave_Cisco
05-28-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a question for those of you that have watched the judging, or are a judge yourself. When the print titles are read, does the reader use any inflection, or is it pretty much a monotone? If you put a word in caps, will they emphasize that word?

Here's an example:

What WERE you thinking?

What were you THINKING?

or....

Stephanie

...or What? Were you thinking?

They try to do what the printmaker wants, but sometimes it just doesn't come out right. My recommendation is to not make it too tough on the reader. If you want to escape embarrassment, don't title a print in a foreign language.:D

Stan_Lawrence
05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
"What were you THINKING?"

You can actually influence how they are read by caps, italics, underline, etc. Having worked print comp, those folks really do their best to read your title well. Having something to show them how you want it read always helps. :cool:

Stephanie_Hobson
05-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys.. that's exactly what I wanted to know. Too bad about the singing though. :)

Stephanie

Auralee_Dallas
05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
I just sent my entries on Friday and I hope my memory serves me correctly. I did the electronic entry and the print titles came out in all caps. The other info such as my name were in upper and lower case.

Marc_Benjamin
05-29-2007, 02:54 PM
When I hand in the print at locals, I enunciate the tittle with total drama and ask that it's read with the same passion and conviction. This of course is just silly but it sure is fun to hear the anouncer try. Also, I once had a print go up (Auralee might remember this happening) and coincedentally someone started playing fur elise on the piano out in the hallway. It sounded like the print had it's own soundtrack.

Seriously, I don't think were supposed to influence judging by the oratorical interpretation of the tittles. It's not in the 12 elements. Besides, it's not fair if the other announcer on a different panel can't deliever at the same level. I thought I read (or maybe in Judging class) somewhere that tittles are supposed to be read as nuetral as possible.

D._Craig_Flory
05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi group;

I've seen some people be redundant. Besides the entry label - I've seen them put the title in very big letters, with exphasis on which words to gave inflections, on the back of the print in magic marker. Then the reader doesn't have to strain to read it off the label.

Keith_A_Howe
05-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I thought I read (or maybe in Judging class) somewhere that tittles are supposed to be read as nuetral as possible.

Marc, In all the print crews I have worked on, in the judges workshop and in all the times I have judged I have never heard this or even had it suggested.

Just to reassure everyone, the way the title is read will not effect the score to any degree. If the print is truly a 79 all the inflection in the world will not raise it to 80. Similarily, if a print should merit, a bland reading is not gonna keep it from receiving the merit. The title itself is much more important than the reading of the title. A good title will create a story or emotion or can explain what otherwise might be confusing about an image. For example Jackie's print that she entered called "Women are from Venus " (http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=73769#post73769) That title explained why the young man had such a frustrated expression on his face. It created a story about what this young man was thinking and suggested a whole back story that the judges could read into. Imagine if this print was called just "Bob" - there would not have been a story for the judges to think about.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Marc, In all the print crews I have worked on, in the judges workshop and in all the times I have judged I have never heard this or even had it suggested.

This is probably a local thing due to antics such as mines. Though it make sense to just read it clearly and neutraly as possible since inflection has no bearing on the score.