View Full Version : Considering my first entry

John_Canning
05-28-2007, 03:57 AM
This will be my first go at comp any feed back would be appreciated

Marc_Benjamin
05-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi John,

Welcome to the forums.

She's very cute with gorgeous eyes and looking at her expression, I feel that she was fun to work with. It looks like you have some background on painterly level retouch (Kat Eismann calls this level 3 retouch) and I like the treatment.

The first item that can be improved upon is her mixed key clothing. That top really screams "look here." This together with the ribbon takes away. Contrast on occasion works but not in this case. Another aspect that can be improved is composition, more specifically following the one with the tic tac toe board diagram (thirds) will help. Head placement on one of the intersecting points will help.

I'm gonna stop there for now though there's more that can be improved which I think others will mention.

Overall, cute and ok start.

D._Craig_Flory
05-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi John;

I will echo what Marc said ... cute young lady and I am sure the parents loved the image. The lighting is very pleasing.

I also agree that the top is out of key. I would have liked seeing a low key top or a high key background.

She is also way too big in the presentation. Kids need "room to grow" in an image. And, she is centered too much.

Finally, she is looking right at the lens. Just think how interesting it could have been if she would have been looking at her hands with something important to her. (at the consultation you could find out objects she loves) It could have been an insect or one of her Mom's pieces of jewelry.

The more you post, and take note of suggestions on here, the better you will get. Keep posting.

John_Canning
06-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks, for the suggestions. I have been trying to break a bad habit of cropping in camera and then cropping in even tighter on prints.

D._Craig_Flory
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi John;

Just tatoo this on your forehead - then you will see it every morning:

"If you crop too close, in camera, you can't back up but if you leave more room in the initial image you can always crop later". Plus, even if you do go a bit closer, also create some more a medium distance further away as well as some a good bit further. It's all about having options after the fact.