PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions...honest ones!

Tony_Alt
05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
What do you think? Glow or No Glow around Cathy?

D._Craig_Flory
05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Tony;

I'd go with a third choice. Add a transparent layer. Use the rectangular marquee tool and draw a rectangle. Stroke it with a color from the image. Here is my take on it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Print_Comp_1Enhanced.jpg

Tony_Alt
05-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I like. Thanks Craig.

Tony_Alt
05-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks again Craig. I applied the Stroke to a couple other possible entries. What a difference!!
Here's an example.

Tony_Alt
05-26-2007, 03:45 PM
What do you think about the kicker in this one? I wanted it a little strong for the religious implications.

Keith_A_Howe
05-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Tony - The kicker is way too strong IMO. It's way brighter than her face. So it draws your eye to the back of her head. I am assuming that the titles on each print are just for posting here and will not appear on the actual entry prints. While names on the front will not get it disqualified (unless it's the makers name LOL!) , it's almost never a good idea to include them. The baby has several challenges for print competition. Mixed keys, too strong of vignette creating a tunnel effect, broad light and feathers and stool that are much brighter than her face. If you have another option, you might want to switch out this one.

I would really encourage you to spend the extra money for the critique if you are sending these to national this year. I think it will give you great insight for picking images in the future and knowing what elements the judges are looking for.

Good Luck!
Keith

Tony_Alt
05-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Points taken. Thanks a bunch Keith

D._Craig_Flory
05-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi Tony;

I agree with Keith about the veil being blown out. Here is my take on it ... switched to a horizontal presentation. I made her much smaller since kids need "room to grow".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/The_Newest_AngelEnhanced.jpg

Tony_Alt
05-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Must be the lo res jpg version. In the actual print (11x14) every bit of detail is there. It's not blown out to pure white.
I admit the kicker is strong. Will scale back next time.
I like the landscape version as well.

Keith,
I do have other better options for the comp and I am definitely going to have them critiqued. I was really looking for presentation here.
I'm a poker player too. Not gonna show my hand just yet.

Ginger_M_Saucier
05-26-2007, 10:25 PM
On image one, the third is the best.