PDA

View Full Version : Mounting and Presenting

Timothy_Mielke
05-24-2007, 01:48 PM
What the guidelines for mounting? I know the pics need a two color stroke, but how wide should they be? Should I mount prints directly on mount board with strokes on the actual prints done in photoshop? This is my first time submitting and I am kinda of nervous...

TimMilk

Don_Chick
05-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Timothy,

There are no requirements for any stroke. That's up to your personal preference. Strokes today are usually done in PS. In the old days they did them with tape from the automotive supply store.
If you are using a professional lab (and one that has printed for a PPA competition before), they should have mount board that will meet the requirements. My lab uses a quad weight art board for mounting.
If you have a dark print be sure and use a Sharpie to blacken the edges of the print. You don't want the white edge showing up against a dark/black edge. And if/when you are using the Sharpie, be sure and do it from the back side. That way if you slip you will have the mistake on the back not the front!

D._Craig_Flory
05-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi Timothy;

Wherever did you get the "two color stroke" thing ? One color is the norm and sometimes it's a shade of grey. As for width, generally go with the most narrow size possible while still being able to see it at 6 feet. In Photoshop, not only look at in in "fit on screen". Also look in "actual print size". I generally use between 3 & 6 pixels.

You do your entire presentation on a 20" X 16" or 16" X 20" background layer in Photoshop and that gets mounted on a board. I use black-core gatorfoam.

I've attached my lesson on doing Step-Mounts. Please let me know if you don't have a copy of the dirty dozen rules of print competition.

Jacob_Chinn
05-24-2007, 04:31 PM
I am thinking about entering some prints. I have been so busy lately that I haven't had time until now to really look into it. I would love to see the dirty dozen rules. I was also curious about the size of the image versus the total 16x20" print size. Meaning are most images about 11x14" of the 16x20 or does it vary. Can you just print a 16x20 with no photoshop matte around the image?

Thanks

D._Craig_Flory
05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Jacob;

Here are the Dirty Dozen rules of competition. Keep in mind that not all merit images will meet all of the rules. But, there are certain rules that are met in all merit prints - like Impact.

Image size can be anywhere from full bleed (image covers the entire 20X16 or 16X20) down to 80 square inches. So, yes, you can do a presentation without using Photoshop to do a step-mount. But keep in mind that a lot of the images that do the best are all worked as step-mounts.

Auralee_Dallas
05-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi Guys,
D. Craig has given you the link to the criteria for judging. That's what you need to know to help choose your images. Then I suggest you read this:
http://www.ppa.com/files/public/Photo_Rules.pdf
It will guide you through figuring out presentation.
Also there is a link on this site somewhere where you can actually watch a regional competition on the internet.
Look at all the images that are posted here and the reasoning behind the "step-mount" process that folks here refer to.
Do it quickly because there is an extra charge to turn in your stuff late.
Good luck.

D._Craig_Flory
05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi Jacob;

I earlier posted the link to our Pa. state assn. slide shows of blue ribbon winners and also of trophy winners ... more inspiration. Here it is again. www.ppaofpa.org
I apologize for you having to see my blue ribbon image. :o

Timothy_Mielke
05-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it and look forward to doing well in the contest. Keep snapping.