PDA

View Full Version : New to print comp help

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 04:54 AM
Hi, I am new to PPA print comp and would appreciate a critique on these images and the framing with in the 16x20. I tend to stay very simple on the framing so if you have any ideas I would really appreciate them.
Thanks so much

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Thanks for your help. Here is one more image.

Keith_A_Howe
05-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Love the waterfall image. Hope there is still a bit of detail in the whites of the water and the blacks of the rock. If so it will do quite well I believe. I think maybe instead of a white stroke , pick a rust color from the rocks. make the black background sampled from the silhoette of the man. In case he is not a true black, then your background matching him will not draw attention to that.

The llama or alpaca is cropped too close. I hope you have more room , especially below the animal in the forground. The border is too wide, make it more subtle.

The bride is nice, but the awkward bend to her wrist and then cropping off of hand may be an issue. I think the whole print needs to be darker and her arm burned down. The stroke I believe should be much finer and perhaps a gray from her skin tone rather than white. If you get a picky panel they are gonna jump on the skirt of her gown being bunched up in the background.

Keith

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Thanks so much for your imput Keith! I will repost my changes. Thanks

annie

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi Keith,

I made changes to the 3 images. Let me know what you think? I did not have much more image to work with on the llama picture. Thanks for your imput.

annie

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Let me know what you think.

Susan_Bryg
05-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I am new to this, but couldn't the grass below the llama be cloned in and then burned down so as not to be noticed? BTW, these are AWESOME images.

Don_Chick
05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Annie,

You have some neat images here. One question for you..

On the Lama image, is that the original sky? On this small print it's hard for me to see and makes me wonder....

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi, The sky is the original sky, just burn in a bit on the right.

As for the cloning of the bottom of the llama, I have done that a bit. not sure how much more I should add.

thanks,
Annie

Dave_Cisco
05-24-2007, 03:28 PM
The waterfall image has great impact and should do well in comp...The Llama image might also "go" if the detail is there. I don't think the bridal will make it...

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi Dave thanks for your honesty.

annie

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Just thought I might throw out there 2 other images, to see if these might be better for print comp then the bride image. THanks for critique and advise.

annie

Keith_A_Howe
05-24-2007, 06:57 PM
The bride image is better than either of these. Was the llama added to that image? Something looks kinda "cut and paste" but that could just be the low res file.

Keith

Dave_Cisco
05-24-2007, 07:09 PM
The bride image is better than either of these. Was the llama added to that image? Something looks kinda "cut and paste" but that could just be the low res file.

Keith

This is why there are 5 judges....:D :D

Never mind..I'm just now understanding what two you were referring to.:p

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Keith, The llama was not added to the image. I wish I could show you a full res image. THere is good detail but I would like to make the image a bit smaller on the 16x20 I think it might come off as being a bit sharper.(do you think that would hurt me if I made it smaller?) The image was actually taken with a canon elf 2.1 megapixel camera while backpacking in Peru. The image was then up rezed in Fractal. My SLR and lenses where just to heavy to carry for 2 months. I have attached a piece of the image so you can see some of the detail. Lets not comment on the fact that I was taking pictures with a 2.1 elf. Let's just say long story, but I was just happy to have the elf.

thanks again for you imput.

annie

Keith_A_Howe
05-24-2007, 08:35 PM
:D :D
This is why there are 5 judges....:D :D

Dave, I agree with you that the bride will have a challenge meriting. I just think it is a better choice than the other two images she posted as alternatives ( couple kissing under tree and bride and groom kissing in front of the brick wall). Do you like either of those others better? Just for the sake of an interesting discussion, out of these 5 total images, which would you pick?

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
05-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Annie;

I will agree to disagree with Dave and Keith. I love the image of the Marine !!! And your title "Home At Last" is excellent. Here is my take on it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/AROWLAND-home-at-lastEnhanced.jpg

annie_rowland
05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Hi D. Craig Flory,
Wow that looks great. I didn't realize I could frame the image like that. Is this what is called presentation? After looking at this I am wondering if I should take the image of the flag off the brick in the background ( or reverse it)and crop the couple a little bit lower so it doesn't look like the Marine is falling over. Comments anyone?
Thanks so much!

Dave_Prouty
05-25-2007, 01:33 AM
It's a very nice presentation, but I don't think his superior officer would like his medals on the wrong side of his uniform. They tend to be very touchy about that kind of thing.

Dave_Cisco
05-25-2007, 01:51 AM
Dave, I agree with you that the bride will have a challenge meriting. I just think it is a better choice than the other two images she posted as alternatives ( couple kissing under tree and bride and groom kissing in front of the brick wall). Do you like either of those others better? Just for the sake of an interesting discussion, out of these 5 total images, which would you pick?

Keith

I edited my previous post to say I was confused on which two you were comparing to. Now that I have my head screwed on straight, I agree with you.:D
Of the 5, the waterfall has the greatest impact(to me)...the maker should be careful that it's not weakened by an inappropriate title.

Dave_Cisco
05-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi D. Craig Flory,
Wow that looks great. I didn't realize I could frame the image like that. Is this what is called presentation? After looking at this I am wondering if I should take the image of the flag off the brick in the background ( or reverse it)and crop the couple a little bit lower so it doesn't look like the Marine is falling over. Comments anyone?
Thanks so much!

I'm a proponent of the KISS principle, and I think this went past simple.:)

annie_rowland
05-25-2007, 02:37 AM
As of now I was thinking I would call if "Silhouette Falls" but I am open for suggestions.

annie

Dave_Cisco
05-25-2007, 03:55 AM
As of now I was thinking I would call if "Silhouette Falls" but I am open for suggestions.

annie

That's what I'm talking about......78!!:D

annie_rowland
05-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I must admit I am a bit overwelmed with the deadline to get these done in time and named properly. I think it is just a pass for me, too much stress in an already stressfull world. I will start earlier next year.

Annie

D._Craig_Flory
05-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi Annie;

Don't not enter. If you are overwhelmed by entering PPA, please look at entering your state assn. print competition. If you have never entered in any you should enter somewhere for the experience. Here in Pennsylvania, we have our annual state assn. print competition. But, there are other sub state level groups that have competitions. I hope you will try that avenue if you don't enter PPA.

JohnHeckler
05-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. I must admit I am a bit overwelmed with the deadline to get these done in time and named properly. I think it is just a pass for me, too much stress in an already stressfull world. I will start earlier next year.

Annie

Annie, enter the images, you will not regret it! The waterfall image is stunning!