PDA

View Full Version : Hold entering Seal of Approval print?

Judy_Dumas
05-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Entered EI competition for for first time this year. Got one seal and don't really have time to get three more ready for nationals. Is it critical to send in the one with the seal this year to validate the merit, or can I wait and send it next year?

Judy Dumas

Auralee_Dallas
05-24-2007, 12:30 AM
The seal is only good for the current year. I learned the hard way. However I entered the sealed images the following year and one merited and one didn't. One that wasn't sealed got a merit.

Stacey_West
05-24-2007, 02:24 AM
Got one seal and don't really have time to get three more ready for nationals.
Judy,
If you're not able to get any other prints ready in time I think you should go ahead and include the three images that weren't sealed, especially if you feel strongly about them. It is possible one or more of the three could merit at nationals anyway and I certainly wouldn't risk losing the sure-thing merit on the sealed print you have. Good luck.

Betty_Huth
05-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Judy,

I know from experience that something that did not merit on the regional level can go on to merit at National. Mine went up 10 points. So go ahead and enter all. You do have to send it in the year it merits for it to receive the "real" merit.

Betty

Judy_Dumas
05-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks to all for the answer. I will get my case ready to go this year. I could sure use some help on what the judges are looking for in EI.

I do not do wild and crazy stuff....just nice clean retouching and enhancement for the most part, plus some Painter images. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Judy Dumas

Keith_A_Howe
05-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Two things mostly - degree of difficulty and technical skill (or how well you did what you did). Then they look at if the image meets the other criteria of the 12 elements. They also look at what you choose to do and what you didn't choose to do and were those choices beneficial to the print. For example I have seen an image not do as well because even though the extensive retouching was skillfully accomplished, it went too far and the person no longer looked believeable. IMO painter images, if done well are a good choice, but just retouching and enhancing will have difficulty creating impact. Always include a guide print or prints. If you are truly skilled at the work, the judges may not be able to tell what you actually did to the print.
Keith