PDA

View Full Version : So what about this one?

Naomi_Angel
05-20-2007, 06:39 AM
How does this look for comp??

Again, not cropped for comp, as I just pulled it from my blog files, but as far as the shot.....comp or not comp???

also, if i did it for comp, do you think i should take out his silver piercing on his cheek, right by his nose??????????

http://angelphotodesign.com/_DSC0191MYSPACE.jpg

Mark_Levesque
05-20-2007, 01:27 PM
The lighting is good, the pose is fine, the subject interesting. Hard call on the piercing. It might well be better without it. But "is this good enough to enter?" I would say yes. Hopefully one of the masters like Keith or Don will amble through here and opine with a bit more experience and authority.

Don_Chick
05-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I think you have a really neat image here with some dramatic elements (lighting, composition, pose), but my concerns for competition are...

The left side of the image in the white shirt (his right arm) is the brightest part of the image, competing with his face. One trick you may already be familiar with to check this is to turn the image over and see where your eye goes first.

The accent lighting coming in from camera right accentuates the gland on his jaw making it look a little abnormal (imho).

Could you do this shot again 1. without the white shirt on him or 2. with a lower key shirt on him?

Marc_Benjamin
05-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I really like this one as it reminds me of an old portrait of Kramer.

In addition to what Don said, I would also tone dow his right ear a little bit.

Dave_Prouty
05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I played a little on this. I could do more, but this is basically how I see this for comp. Some details could be worked on as Don was pointing out about the accent light, but overall a nice image.

Naomi_Angel
05-20-2007, 11:50 PM
thanks guys! i appreciate the help. :)

Keith_A_Howe
05-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Naomi, Character studies of men are doing quite well in print competition recently. You have a great subject here and his clothing creates a real story about his personality. However there are a couple of technical issues that will be a challenge in print competition. The strong kicker light has been mention as well as the mix of keys with his white shirt and low key background. Both of those issues could be overcome with a bit of photoshop work. For me the biggest challenge is the lens choice. Notice how everything closer to the camera is out of proportion and larger than is believable. The flattened hand should be 3/4 of the face from tip of chin to normal hairline. This man's hands are 3/4 of his face even folded. If his hands were extended they would be as large or larger than his head. Look at how broad his leading shoulder is in comparison to his back shoulder. Some of that is of course created by the pose but it is accentuated by using a short focal length lens. You can also see this distortion in the length of his upper arms, much longer on his left arm than his right. This kind of distortion can be used effectively and also can do well in competition when it is obviously a delibrate choice to perpetuate the story of the image. Here it doesn't appear that that was the case and as such will hold the print out of the merit catergory IMO.
Keith

Marc_Benjamin
05-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Naomi, Character studies of men are doing quite well in print competition recently.

Keith, are we gonna see the man w/ pipe make a comeback?

Naomi_Angel
05-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Thank you Keith, I appreciate it.