PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Old Tricks To New Dogs

Jackie_Haggerty
05-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Hi All!

I am also going to be doing a Super Monday program in November, in my studio.

Here is a little program info:

TEACHING OLD TRICKS TO NEW DOGS

by Jackelyn Haggerty

Flashback to the Past! The Glamour Lighting from the 1940’s is making its way back, and this program will show you how you can achieve this once-again-popular style in your studio. Using the equipment you already own as a very simple and effective setup, we will go through the process of setting up the lighting style and photographing a model. We will then process the images in Photoshop with techniques to enhance the glamour look. This style is becoming increasingly popular with High School Seniors and is a great look for any age.

Hope to see you there!

DianeDavis
05-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Sign Me UP!!

Art_Wright
05-19-2007, 04:46 AM
As I'm in Texas, would it be possible to tape the course or send me some sample images and the lighting set up?
art@ajwphoto.com

Jackie_Haggerty
05-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Hi Art-

Thanks so much for asking... I am actually working on an image gallery and will post a link soon.... I'll shoot you an email!

Jackie

Art_Wright
05-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Thank YOU, Jackie! Is butterfly lighting one of the techniques?

Jackie_Haggerty
05-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Butterfly and Loop, Art.

And how about a little fashion style with that? :)

Mark_Levesque
05-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Let me cross my fingers and hope for the best. I'd love to take this.

D._Craig_Flory
05-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi Jackie;

Congratulations on your Super Monday class. It sounds like a great class. I hope you will be incorporating a focusing spotlight in it using shadow cookies which was prevelent back then. You can also use a spotlight as your key light.

After you get this speaking merit, how many more will you need for the Photographic Craftsman Degree ?

Don_Chick
05-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Jackie,

That sounds like a really cool Super Monday program, I wish I was closer to Normal!

Jackie_Haggerty
05-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi Jackie;

Congratulations on your Super Monday class. It sounds like a great class. I hope you will be incorporating a focusing spotlight in it using shadow cookies which was prevelent back then. You can also use a spotlight as your key light.

After you get this speaking merit, how many more will you need for the Photographic Craftsman Degree ?

Craig- my program is about using what you have available, so based on the photographers attending, and the current lighting setup and modifiers they own, we will be going over a few different ways using a few different techniques-thanks for your tips.

I am not counting my speaking merits - it's the print merits that count for me right now. I fall somewhere in between not knowing how many I have and how many I need. :D

KristiSanger
05-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I am interested in this topic for the class but have never participated in a Super Monday class, how do they work? It this an on-line thing? I would also be interested in the image gallery Art was referring to if I can't make the class.

Thanks, Kristi

Jackie_Haggerty
05-20-2007, 03:31 AM
I am interested in this topic for the class but have never participated in a Super Monday class, how do they work? It this an on-line thing? I would also be interested in the image gallery Art was referring to if I can't make the class.

Thanks, Kristi

Kristi, Super Monday classes are held in various places around the country on a variety of topics. You may have one in your area as well. They are held at a location, generally the host studio. I have a gallery on my to-do list and will share that soon!

Scott_Painter
05-20-2007, 03:46 AM
I hope you will be incorporating a focusing spotlight in it using shadow cookies which was prevelent back then. You can also use a spotlight as your key light.

Hi Jackie:

I'm in Rockford and would love to see your class. Just suppose someone needed an excuse to buy a shadow cookie or spotlight, could you put it into your class?

Jackie_Haggerty
05-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Hi Jackie:

I'm in Rockford and would love to see your class. Just suppose someone needed an excuse to buy a shadow cookie or spotlight, could you put it into your class?

Gee, Scott, I guess so.... since you will be coming all the way from Rockford... LOL ;)

Of course, though we may decide to just make our own.... Hmmmmm......

Dave_Prouty
05-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I think I'll have to dig into the old attic to see if I can find that Chuck Lewis thingy my buddy and I used to have. Attach it to any light, but turn the modeling light off from time to time... it's made of cardboard and it WILL burn. Now what was it called... Ah YES the Adapt-a-Spot! Anybody remember these?

Anne_LeBouton
05-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I think we had an Adapt-a-Spot at one time too till it caught fire!

I think Gary would be interested in your class. Maybe he could take the class and I could come and socialize. We could stop at my parents house in the Chicago suburbs on the way. Sounds like a possible road trip!

Lori_Clapp
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Jackie,

That sounds like a really cool Super Monday program, I wish I was closer to Normal!

Don - Don't keep wishing you were closer to Normal, we like you just the way you are! Lol. On the other hand - maybe we'd all be better off if we were a little closer to Normal! Jackie is right smack dab in the middle of Normal, and she is anything but!

D._Craig_Flory
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi group;

I would like to suggest a new thread be started under Portraits. I'm not sure what to call it but any photos posted would have the look of the 30's and 40's as well as those utilizing a spotlight and cookies.

D._Craig_Flory
06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=Anne LeBouton;78373]I think we had an Adapt-a-Spot at one time too till it caught fire!

Hi Anne;

I had one of those I got at a "Cheap Chuck" seminar with Chuck Lewis. When I assembled it I painted it with the black engine paint recommended so it never caught fire. But I did buy a good focusing spotlight as soon as I could. Cardboard and rubber bands never gave me much confidence.

Mark_Levesque
06-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I would like to suggest a new thread be started under Portraits. I'm not sure what to call it but any photos posted would have the look of the 30's and 40's as well as those utilizing a spotlight and cookies.
Gee, Craig, what a great idea! In the tradition of "he who proposes, disposes," I'd say that you should take this idea and run with it. I can't wait to see what images you use to seed the topic and inspire others.

MikeGeorge
07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I will likely come in from St. Louis. Any details available yet????

Thanks,

Mike George

Jackie_Haggerty
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Mike,

There will be information coming out soon, I know they are planning on having the Super Monday information in the next Professional Photographer magazine....

Thanks ! Hope you will be able to come!

MikeGeorge
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
To twist the movie lines around....if you do it, I will come.....

Thanks!

Jackie_Haggerty
09-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am getting ready for the Super Monday program, as well as a couple of others I am going to be doing soon, and working on NEW samples to share!

Here are a couple of images to share...... What's awesome, there are going to be images in the program to represent different ways to use your everyday light modifiers to achieve the look. These are just 2 different ways.... and 2 different feelings to the image..... In the Super Monday we are going to not only discuss the glamour lighting of the 40's, but today as well- and getting that glamorous look in YOUR studio.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/IMG_5853BWWEB.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/IMG_5964RWEB.jpg

Mike_Fulton
09-01-2007, 05:07 AM
looks like a great program and I heard through the grapevine your my family member now. :)

At least in the sponsorship family of Miller's Lab! CONGRATES on getting picked up - that is very cool!

I cant wait till I get to find a place in my schedule to come see your program!

Cassandra_Sullivan
09-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Jackie I love those! Is that just one light?

Jackie_Haggerty
09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Jackie I love those! Is that just one light?

Cassandra, yes- just one light. The 2nd image does have a reflector as well.

Linda_Gregory
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Yup,

I took Jackie's class unofficially and she's not only got a great method but can TEACH, too. Many can do something but can't convey how. Jackie isn't in the latter category.

Take it if you can, you'll be amazed at what you can get with just a change of mind set.

Art_Wright
09-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd still love to buy a DVD of this technique...

MikeGeorge
09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I am signed up for your Super Monday Seminar! Now if I can figure how to get there...........

See ya,

Mike George

Jackie_Haggerty
09-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Great, Mike!

It'll be great to have you!! It's easy to get here from St. Louis, too!! PM me for directions closer to the date, ok?!

MikeGeorge
09-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Will do.

Mike

Jackie_Haggerty
09-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Here's some fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5oVrog8U0

Mark_Levesque
09-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Cool stuff, Jackie. Looks like you're having a blast playing with your new toy. :)

Jackie_Haggerty
09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
YES! I am so excited about it!!!!

Jackie_Haggerty
09-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that this Super Monday program is now 1/2 full- if you were thinking of coming you may want to act fast!

Hope to see you there!

:D

DianeDavis
09-19-2007, 03:22 PM
This will be an amazing program. Can't be there, but looking forward to when I can see this presentation- and learning another way to enhance my business.

I will be so jealous of those who get to go!

ken_smith
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi All

Her class was great! I try out some of here tricks. I very happy with them.
Thanks for comming to NH
Ken

Jackie_Haggerty
10-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks so much, Ken! It was great seeing you again- you are always fun to be around!

A big thanks to all of those that have signed up for this class so far - according to the attendance record it appears it is in the top 3 for attendance right now. There are only 3 places left (er, 2 as of tomorrow) so if you considering attending, please get your name in ASAP.

I can't wait to work with you all!

:D

Jackie_Haggerty
10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
********UPDATE********

This class is FULL! Thank you for all of your interest, and to those that will be there in November, I look forward to seeing you and working with all of you!

Andrea_Chapelo
10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
To those of you who signed up...You are going to love it! Great teacher, great stuff!:D