PDA

View Full Version : Comp Worthy? Critique

Carl_Bromberg
05-17-2007, 05:31 PM
This was taken last Sat, just wondering if it would be comp worthy, any suggestions / comments are most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Carl!!! I really like the image...am not experienced enough to offer an opinion, though...

D._Craig_Flory
05-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Carl;

Picture how big her head will appear in a 16" X 20". It was also broad lit. It would have worked much better if the key light was behind her for a beautiful rim light.

Mark_Levesque
05-17-2007, 06:53 PM
What does the full crop look like? I think this has potential. It may well be broad lit, bit IMO it works for this image. It helps that there's a bit of chiaroscuro going on, which elevates it from your typical boring broad lit shot to something of a higher caliber. With an appropriate step mount and optimal crop, it may well be worth entering. Whether it's merit worthy or not I'll leave for others to decide.

Rory_Schweighart
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I like it I'm no judge but I think it has a unique look.

Carl_Bromberg
05-17-2007, 08:02 PM
What does the full crop look like? I think this has potential. It may well be broad lit, bit IMO it works for this image. It helps that there's a bit of chiaroscuro going on, which elevates it from your typical boring broad lit shot to something of a higher caliber. With an appropriate step mount and optimal crop, it may well be worth entering. Whether it's merit worthy or not I'll leave for others to decide.

Hi Mark, this is the full crop. Let me know what you think.

Hi Sue Ellen, Good to see you, hadn't been on here in a while, LoL not sure why! :0

Keith_A_Howe
05-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Carl, This is a lovely portrait of a bride. I am sure she is thrilled You ask if it is competition worthy. My answer is that depends. What is your goal? Will you only be satisfied with merits? Or are you entering for the experience and education? I think every image is competition worthy,except maybe those you know in advance will bone pile (69 or below) and this certainly will score well above that level.

There are a couple issues that will create a challenge for this print to reach 80. As has been mentioned it is broad lit. Mark said he feels it works for this image. I am not contradicting him, but while it may "work' it is not the best or most impactful lighting pattern you could have used IMO. As the image is presented I read into the back of her head first. This could be corrected by flipping the image so I tried that. But it creates other problems as then the darkly shadowed side of her face acts as a stopper to my eye traveling through the image to reach her face. The highlight side looks even broader when the image is flipped. I am seeing a soft pixelated area that has shifted to orange following the transition line from highlight to shadow on her forehead. This pixilation and color shift is not something that judges would deem acceptable in a merit print. Also try drawing a grid over this image, dividing it into thirds, You will see her eyes are pretty much dead center, which is a fairly static and thus non-impactful composition. You could solve that issue by presenting this image as about a 12"x15" on a horizontal 20x16 and placing the image to one side. However the other issues would still hold it out of the merit catergory IMO. If you are looking for a learning experience and a score in the 70's will not be a huge dissapointment, then by all means this is competition worthy.
Keith

Dave_Cisco
05-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Red is such a powerful color(a little goes a long way) that the bouquet has become an equal weighted subject.

D._Craig_Flory
05-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Here is my take on your image. Hopefully it will give you some ideas. I also hope that the Masters will chime in on what I posted.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/OurPPa2Enhanced.jpg

Carl_Bromberg
05-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Carl_Bromberg
05-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Here is my take on your image. Hopefully it will give you some ideas. I also hope that the Masters will chime in on what I posted.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/OurPPa2Enhanced.jpg

Craig, thanks so much! This definately gives me some ideas, I really appreciate your time and input!