PDA

View Full Version : Metallic prints?

Rebecca_Willoughby
05-16-2007, 03:46 AM
We printed this on metallic paper for this bride and it was really gorgeous! She had a 24x36 printed for the reception! We booked two weddings from this formal alone! But does anybody ever do metallic paper for comp prints. I don't remember seeing any in San Antonio, but I really wasn't looking. We had never done metallic paper until we saw a gorgeous print by Lisa Jane in Texas, and now we do them all of the time and have developed a separate line of them at the studio. Is it allowed at print competition or frowned upon for any reason?

Rebecca

**Feel free to critique this pict. I might not ever submit it for print competition, but I always want to know what I could do to make something better!

Linda_Gregory
05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Rebecca, Metallic paper is a tricky animal for printing.

I am submitting at least one image on metallic but my first entry in our local affiliate failed because I did not darken it enough first. I also experimented with the printing because I didn't feel the blacks were black enough and discovered-to my customer's benefit-that metallic paper takes a different chemical tweak to get the right contrast. Not having black blacks is a great downfall in competition with their strong lights.

I've been told metallic will never do in comp because the angle of the lights will always give a milky appearance but I don't agree, I think they just haven't had the images printed correctly.

Take one of your images with black in it and hold it under strong lights at an angle if you don't have access to a comp lighting set up and see what they look like.

If the printing is done correctly and your image is strong, you'll do great!

Rebecca_Willoughby
05-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the info Linda. I agree that it is hard to get those deep darks. I am going to have to work on that. I'm sure my lab can help me out. They are wonderful with everything else so far!

Rebecca

Barry_Hayes
05-17-2007, 06:43 AM
For what it's worth I hung 2 in EI catagory last compitition and use only metalic for my prints these days. But I'm doing strange stuff anyway. Look at my gallery to see what I mean.

Mark_Levesque
05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Sgt Pepper ain't kiddin'. ;) I'm wondering if you've been visiting Bill "Spaceman" Lee on his farm. Matter of fact, I've never seen the two of you together. Alter egos? LOL

Jeff_Dachowski
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Rebecca,
Remember that with metallic your whites will drop at least a zone, and possibly two. It is allowed, and can have fantastic impact on the right image.
Jeff

Jane_Lydick_Staid
05-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I have been using metallic for my competition prints for a while and the prints do well under the bright lights.

Don_Chick
05-19-2007, 03:21 PM
But does anybody ever do metallic paper for comp prints.

Rebecca,

I saw images entered in comp using metallic paper in several New England states this year. Even saw an wedding album printed on metallic. For some it worked and some it didn't.

With the right application metallic can really compliment an image, but it isn't the answer for everything. Just because it's on metallic doesn't mean the print will score well, as some may think! And using Lucis Art does not guarantee the scores it once was getting either!

Keith_A_Howe
05-22-2007, 03:37 AM
I have seen images do very well on metalic and I have seen metalic be the killer of very strong images! It is a tool to be used on the right subjects. As Linda said getting a good print on metalic is very important. I ran test this year and was very disappointed with the print quality of the metalic paper. The blacks went brown under the lights. You have to make sure you have the time for reprinting when using this paper (and a lab that wants to work with you as well). As Jeff said the tonal range is different as well. Because of the reflectivity of this product, whites can very easily be blown out! Also blacks can block up. It is a contrasty product and as such use it for the right images and it will really "pop". As a side note, I have seen some skintones (seems to be pale or light skintones) that get a really eerie look on metalic.

Good luck Keith

Mark_Levesque
05-22-2007, 04:42 AM
I had an image printed for comp on metallic go all soft on me. As I had procrastinated, I didn't have time to get a reprint, and I got a 78 on it, as I recall. I thought it was my nicest image, better than the one that went blue. But not printed that way. So the words of caution are on the money. Not every image works well on metallic paper.

Don_Chick
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
As a side note, I have seen some skin tones (seems to be pale or light skin tones) that get a really eerie look on metallic.

Good luck Keith

I agree... I saw a portrait of several kids (presented in b&w) in competition this year that the skin was a "eerie" shade of gray on the metallic paper. Even though is was presented as a b&w it still looked odd. Some of the judges looked passed the skin tone but some couldn't....

Debra_Warner
05-23-2007, 01:03 AM
I have seen images do very well on metalic and I have seen metalic be the killer of very strong images! It is a tool to be used on the right subjects. As Linda said getting a good print on metalic is very important. I ran test this year and was very disappointed with the print quality of the metalic paper. The blacks went brown under the lights. You have to make sure you have the time for reprinting when using this paper (and a lab that wants to work with you as well). As Jeff said the tonal range is different as well. Because of the reflectivity of this product, whites can very easily be blown out! Also blacks can block up. It is a contrasty product and as such use it for the right images and it will really "pop". As a side note, I have seen some skintones (seems to be pale or light skintones) that get a really eerie look on metalic.

Good luck Keith
Keith,
Who do you use for your comp prints?

Thanks,
Deb

Keith_A_Howe
05-23-2007, 02:06 AM
Keith,
Who do you use for your comp prints?

Thanks,
Deb

American Color Imaging

Joe_Campanellie
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I discovered metallic prints quite by accident when a friend of mine entered a couple at our state convention. I've been using metallic prints for about two years now and with great results. Three Loan prints which is a record for me.

But...like some of the others have pointed out it seems to take just the right kind of image with the right colors in it. I've seen some that look great and others that look really bad because they just get this weird color to them.

The ones that I have used have been mostly nature images with a lot of good col,or and saturation. In these cases the metallic paper has really helped with the saturation and the overall brilliance of the image.

One of the downsides is that it also seems to get damaged easily too. Very prone to scratching. Not as resiliant as an image that has been laminated.

paul_smith
05-23-2007, 11:51 PM
For what it's worth I hung 2 in EI catagory last compitition and use only metalic for my prints these days. But I'm doing strange stuff anyway. Look at my gallery to see what I mean.

Hi Barry:

Where can I find your weird gallery?

andiegoodman
05-24-2007, 12:53 AM
I have used metallic paper in competition with great sucess...my first one went loan. It all goes back to the 12 elements of a merit print. It can be used and it has been_very successfully.

Good luck with yours.

Andie

andiegoodman
05-24-2007, 12:57 AM

Not strange at all, Barry...just a bit outside the box, and in the forefront of much creativity. :D

Andie