PDA

View Full Version : Which one is best for competition?

Karen_Smith
05-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Which one is best for competition, one, both or neither. CC is greatly needed considering Nationals is right around the corner.

Joe_Galioto
05-16-2007, 04:17 PM
goodmorning karen,
i think the b&w is the better comp print.
can you tell me about the background in the color portrait, it's very nice.
Who made it & what's it called?
thanks
joe

Karen_Smith
05-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Joe,
I think it was made by photoshowcase backgrounds. I don't remember the name of it but it is easy to find.

Keith_A_Howe
05-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Karen, If you are deciding between the two definately the Mom and baby is better.

The two sisters has some technical issues which will keep it out of the merit catergory. It was photographed with too short of focal length. Look how large her legs look compared to her body? Because her legs are closer to the camera and the lens choice was too short it has distorted them and made them look out of proportion. Something about the pose of the legs is also making the bottom one look bent. And because the legs are just as bright as the faces, it draws attention to these issues and magnifys the problem. Another issue is the inclusion of the low key burgunday tulle in an otherwise high to mid key image. Compositionally the girls faces are dead center, which can work sometimes but is usually pretty static. I am posting your image with a grid of thirds over it so you can see what I mean. I think you have great subjects and a great background and a potentially great image. I would suggest you try it again with a longer lens, lighter colored tulle, refine the pose and compose it as a horizontal with the girls to one side.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Karenballetgirls.jpg

Keith

Karen_Smith
05-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks Keith for the input, it is much appreciated. I see what you mean about her legs, she did have large legs anyways and I think the way she was sitting made them push out a little more. I was at 70mm length which is actually 112mm with the 1.6 conversion on the 30d. I use that grid all the time when working on comp images and couldn't figure out a better placement to put the image. I was going by the lines in the cross section. I did take some horizontal images also, one is attached.
Do you think the mom and baby is merit worthy? Or should I try something else. I already have three other images picked out two of them just needed a few little details worked out and the other one already merited at Mid East so I am looking for one more image to add.

D._Craig_Flory
05-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Karen;

The horizontal is 1000% better. I love the paintings of the late Norman Rockwell and his ability to tell a story with his images. That's the feeling this image evokes. The 1st one had them just looking at the camera but they are interacting in this one & I love it !

Keith_A_Howe
05-16-2007, 11:54 PM
I was at 70mm length which is actually 112mm with the 1.6 conversion on the 30d..

Well . . . 112mm would be the bare minimum acceptable in my book.

I use that grid all the time when working on comp images and couldn't figure out a better placement to put the image. I was going by the lines in the cross section...
I don't understand the lines you have drawn. Are you thinking of Bakkers saddle? Or Golden triangle? If so the line from one corner should intersect the other line at a 90 degree angle, so your lines are drawn wrong.

I did take some horizontal images also, one is attached. .
I do like the horizontal better, but I still don't feel it will merit. The legs are still awkward on the older girl and the darker burgandy tutu is still out of key. Also the older girl is posed in a masculine C-shape pose. You can use masculine poses on women but not a good idea in a very feminine delicate situation such as ballerinas.

Do you think the mom and baby is merit worthy? Or should I try something else. I already have three other images picked out two of them just needed a few little details worked out and the other one already merited at Mid East so I am looking for one more image to add.

Loaded question that I won't attempt to answer from this small image at low res. I think it might get close but a lot depends on finishing and print quality. On my moniter it appears the mom and baby's hair is blocked up in the shadows, which would be a problem. Also, it is quite a common subject, which makes it a little more challenging. I definately feel it is a far better choice than either image of the two sisters.

Keith

Karen_Smith
05-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the tip on the lines, and here I thought I knew what I was doing... Im glad you guys are there to help us out. I just have a hard time knowing what to pick for competition. I've looked through loan and showcase print books to get ideas on what to put in, but there's no guarantee that the ones you pick will merit.

Keith_A_Howe
05-17-2007, 12:49 AM
I can't pick my own either, Holly usually decides for me.
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi Karen;

I too agonize on which images to choose. For our state competition in April I could only narrow down to 6 for a competition that allows 4 to be entered. So I had six 16X20's printed. After I took them in my spray booth & sprayed them with ho gloss lacquer I took them in my camera room and picked the best four under comp. lights intensity. Now I have 2 for next time.