PDA

View Full Version : CPP Exam Results

Mark_Levesque
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm pleased to report that we had 100% success in the CPP exam given at the NHPPA convention in April. It only seemed like it took forever to get the results. :)

Jeff_Dachowski
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Mark,
Great job! I am so happy for you. I knew you could do it.
Jeff

JohnHeckler
05-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Congrats Mark! That is awesome.

I just got the letter from PPA stating I passed my portfolio review as well. I'm a CPP! :D

One goal down for this year, two more big ones to go :-)

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
05-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Congratulations, Mark!

Betsy_Finn
05-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Congrats guys :)

Dave_Cisco
05-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Congratulations. You are a better photographer for your effort.:)

KirkDarling
05-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Great work, both of you. We knew you had it in you.

Mark_Levesque
05-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks, everyone.

John-

I knew with your collection of images that it was a done deal. That'll be the hard part for me.

DianeDavis
05-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Way to go Mark!

George_Hawkins
05-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Mark, Congrats!
Work on those prints.
The whole process is more difficult than when I did it. But every five years I manage to re-certify.

George

Cassandra_Sullivan
05-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Congrats Mark!

StaceyDamon
05-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Wondeful news for both of you! Great job!!

D._Craig_Flory
05-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi John Heckler;

Don't forget - now that you are certified, put it in your signature and avatar.

Before we know it you will be adding Craftsman and Master too.

Cassandra_Sullivan
05-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Forgot to mention - congratulations to John too!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
05-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Congrats Mark. Who else passed too?

Mark_Levesque
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Um, I was the only one who took the test this time. :)

Jane_Lydick_Staid
05-13-2007, 01:33 PM
LOL

I hear the print part is harder than when I got my CPP. What I did was take ten prints that got blues in comp and used those. Not sure what the criteria for that is now.

You have plenty of NHPPA people for print guidance.

Mark_Levesque
05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
20 client images, in relative proportions to the sorts of work you do. So if you said you did 50% portraiture, 25% weddings and 25% commercial, they'd expect 10, 5 and 5.

JohnHeckler
05-13-2007, 02:41 PM
LOL

I hear the print part is harder than when I got my CPP. What I did was take ten prints that got blues in comp and used those. Not sure what the criteria for that is now.

You have plenty of NHPPA people for print guidance.

That will certainly work ... what D Craig and others told me is that your portfolio images need to be of a quality that would land somewhere north of 75-76 ish if submitted in competition.

Also, it is the portfolio as a whole that is passed, so if one or two don't cut it (or something like that) than it might still pass.

Oh yeah, and the images need to be from actual client work, not something just done solely for competition.

... at least from what I understand ... hopefully that is not bogus input :rolleyes:

Jane_Lydick_Staid
05-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Congrats to you too John.

I was not a fan of certification being a part of the Master's criteria, and I am glad it is no longer required.

But, passing the exam and print requirements is a big feather in your cap.

Mark_Levesque
05-13-2007, 03:45 PM
I was wondering what the numbers were under the score, but then figured out there were the same number of numbers as I had incorrect answers, so they must be the ones I missed. Too bad I don't remember which questions those were!

One thing they could do to improve this process is to print out the questions which were answered incorrectly, your answer, and the correct answer. There were a few questions which seemed to me to be worded in such a way as to have two distinct but equally valid interpretations. So then begins the game of second guessing which way the test author intended the question to be read. So it would be beneficial to see which ones were missed and why. Sometimes when you see the answer, the question becomes clearer. There were a few I knew I missed (because I spoke to Gene right afterwards). But I don't really remember too many of the ones I missed. I think this would be especially valuable for people who don't pass. But I'm the curious type, and I just wanna know. :)

KirkDarling
05-13-2007, 08:03 PM
There were a few questions which seemed to me to be worded in such a way as to have two distinct but equally valid interpretations. So then begins the game of second guessing which way the test author intended the question to be read.
One thing I noted was that if an answer depended on specific knowledge of a particular proprietary application (like PhotoShop), then that was the wrong answer. A correct answer might be generic to all, say, digital image editors, but an answer that was specific to Photoshop would be an incorrect answer.

D._Craig_Flory
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi Mark;

PPA used to give us liaisons a sheet, for comments, from those who had just taken the exam but they no longer do. So I will recommend that you tell PPA your thoughts. There is a certification committee and your ideas would be presented and maybe it could make a difference. I never see the questions or the tests. And they have changed a bit since I passed it in 1986.

Marc_Benjamin
05-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the club you guys! Now remember the new CPP drinks at nationals tradition ok!

KirkDarling
05-13-2007, 11:27 PM
PPA used to give us liaisons a sheet, for comments, from those who had just taken the exam but they no longer do. So I will recommend that you tell PPA your thoughts. There is a certification committee and your ideas would be presented and maybe it could make a difference. I never see the questions or the tests. And they have changed a bit since I passed it in 1986.

Actually a test taker can still write down the the questions that seem to be "bad" and give them to the liaison to report to PPA (this is better than the Air Force test system, which forces the test taker to remember the questions and relate them to the proctor afterward).

But I called PPA about it and was told that the current automated program doesn't allow them to return specific results to the test taker.

ken_smith
05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Great job Mark
Ken

Liz_Vance
05-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Way to go, you guys! Now, go beat your chests and hoot. :) (That's what I felt like doing after I got my letter, but then again, I had just finished watching a documentary about gorillas...)

Liz

Mark_Levesque
05-29-2007, 04:26 AM
OMG, Liz. Your avatar is a young Michael Myers (of Halloween fame).

Liz_Vance
05-29-2007, 04:55 AM
OMG, Liz. Your avatar is a young Michael Myers (of Halloween fame).

Hahaha. That will seriously please Scott. (my husband)

jeffhaynie
05-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Congratulations Mark!