PDA

View Full Version : what would entering competition do? please advise.

Piilani_Schneider
05-09-2007, 06:52 PM
What would entering this competition do for my new career? Please share what it's done for yours. Mahalo:)

D._Craig_Flory
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Piilani;

Competition does a number of things #1 It is a yardstick to measure how your images stack up against your peers #2 If you enter and get awards at local, state, or PPA level you can use it for advertising that you are an award winning photographer. #3 It will vastly improve your work - the more you compete, the better you get. #4 Your creativity will go up as you are introduced with other styles and techniques.

Rory_Schweighart
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Pialani Mahalo what island are you on? Do you have a web site.? Shaka

JohnHeckler
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Piilani;

Competition does a number of things #1 It is a yardstick to measure how your images stack up against your peers #2 If you enter and get awards at local, state, or PPA level you can use it for advertising that you are an award winning photographer. #3 It will vastly improve your work - the more you compete, the better you get. #4 Your creativity will go up as you are introduced with other styles and techniques.

Amen! I refused to believe this at first but have been converted ... :) Competition has been humbling, depressing, and almost a de-motivator at times, but it has also been exciting, exhilirating, and extremely rewarding as well.

No pain, no gain! :D Check your ego at the door before entering, be open minded, thick skinned, patient, and persistent and it will pay dividends.

Liz_Vance
05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Piilani,

You will accidentally learn so much more than you think.

When I first joined VPPA, the first year, it was about the trade show (you mean I get all this stuff at wholesale?! Hot diggity!) I looked around a little bit at the images in the show, mainly looking for ideas.

The second year it was about the seminars (business roundtable discussion alone was worth the price of admission). I looked a little closer at the images, again, looking for ideas I could make work.

The third year, I entered a print competition. Suddenly, I was looking at those pictures trying to figure out what made them good. I had a vested interest. I was studying them like there was going to be an exam. I sat in on the judging and listened.

I went to the "talking room", where they showed the images on a big screen, and everyone was chatting quietly, rooting for their favorites. Then, one would come up that was one of ours, and the room would be silent, while everyone listened. We'd all be silently rooting for the magical 80, and would cheer if it merited. Or shout, "blind judge!" if it missed the mark unfairly. It was fantastic, knowing who made the images. And they would tell you why they thought the judge said what he or she did, and give you ideas how to improve. There was so much cameraderie in the room. It wasn't competitive at all - not in the traditional sense, anyway. It was very similar to on here, where everyone is rooting for each other to do well.

It was great, basically. And I would have missed that whole experience if I never entered.

(And I make better prints now, too. Bonus!)

Liz