PDA

View Full Version : Competition Worthy?

Allen_W_Thomsen
05-09-2007, 02:33 AM
I have never entered print competition and was hoping to get some input on this photograph. Thanks for any comments!

Rob_Hoffman
05-09-2007, 03:17 AM
In my opinion nearly every image is competition worthy on some level. That level depends on what your goal is in competing. If you want to do nothing but earn merits or compete for loan collection work, then you need to work on images that are beyond outstanding. If you are looking to learn and get to that point at some time in your future, then any image at all is competition worthy if you thicken your skin, attend or buy the recording of the judging, and then take to heart and to practice what is said about your image.

If you feel this image is putting your best foot forward and want to learn a ton more with it, then by all means, print it up and send it. If you are looking for merit or loan worthy work, then this image is probably not the ticket.

If you are looking for more of a critique than just an answer to the competition worthy question, then I would be happy to tell you what I think could be done to improve on this image.

Allen_W_Thomsen
05-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Being fairly new to the business, I would love to have your input on how to improve this image. And yes, I am thick skinned but not thick headed. So call it like you see it!
Regards
Allen Thomsen

Rob_Hoffman
05-09-2007, 01:39 PM
There are a handful of issues with it that stand out for me Allen. One is that the key of the image is jumping all over the place, key being defined as low key images having the brightest part of the image be your subject and high key having that brightest part be your background. The background indicates a low key image. Her clothing changes that key some. Then your vignette is one of a high key image as well. If this image were made on a white background, the vignette and clothing would be much better.

A couple other things...

The pose is just okay, but the chair, I think because of its color in particular, really stands out and seems kind of out of place. Because of the chair and the way it is it is tough to tell what is going on with her lower body. One could almost assume that she is straddling the chair and that would kind of delete the soft feel we want to have with an image of a very young, innocent little girl. Her hands are posed very nicely by the way.

The light overall is very flat and kind of boring. I don't see much of a background light or any kind of separation light either, and I think in a portrait like this both could be useful in creating more interest.

Her gaze is out of frame. You have given her nowhere to look through your composition. Her eyes are centered and she needs somewhere to be looking---meaning, with a pose like this where she is looking off, I would like to see more space in that direction.

The good news is, for being new to the business, a lot of the elements that go into making a good portrait are right there. Hope that helps some.

David_A._Lottes
05-09-2007, 05:05 PM
If you want to do nothing but earn merits or compete for loan collection work, then you need to work on images that are beyond outstanding. If you are looking to learn and get to that point at some time in your future, then any image at all is competition worthy if you thicken your skin, attend or buy the recording of the judging, and then take to heart and to practice what is said about your image.

If you feel this image is putting your best foot forward and want to learn a ton more with it, then by all means, print it up and send it. If you are looking for merit or loan worthy work, then this image is probably not the ticket.

Thanks for this reply Rob
I for one needed that reminder.:)

Allen
I'm afraid this image will not earn you a PPA merit. But Rob's reply (That doesn't mean you won't benefit from entering it in competition) says it all.