PDA

View Full Version : Metallic paper under glass?

Amon_Medinger
09-27-2005, 03:03 AM
Can someone give me ideas on framing a metallic print. Would non glare glass soften the metallic look any? Im not a big fan of regular glass but if it's what I have to use, then so be it. Let me know what you use and how you like it. :)

Buddy_Stewart
09-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Amon,
I don't think this is a print competition question as glass is not allowed on print entries. Even so, I would attempt to soften the metallic image first by coating/spraying with a lustre or maybe a dulling spray. There are also some laminates that "soften" the images they are adhered to. I would use glass as a later solution to that problem. Hope this is useful.
Keep Grinnin',
Buddy Stewart

Amon_Medinger
12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
You're right. Thanks Buddy! ~

KirkDarling
12-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Can someone give me ideas on framing a metallic print. Would non glare glass soften the metallic look any? Im not a big fan of regular glass but if it's what I have to use, then so be it. Let me know what you use and how you like it. :)

As noted, this isn't a competition question, but presuming the subject and tones of the print are properly enhanced by the paper, I would not soften the metallic look. And yes, ordinary non-glare glass would soften it a bit (presuming, too, that you've got a mat between them).

A pricey alternative glazing is "museum glass." This is a glass made by Tru-Vue and a couple of others that is actually multicoated plate glass. It's so clear and reflectionless that people won't realize there is glass unless you tell them ... and they won't believe you until they poke it. It's almost eerie.

But it ain't cheap. You can expect to pay a hundred dollars wholesale for a 16x20 sheet.

I've got an image that I think works extremely well in metallic. It happens to be a Chinese-concept senior portrait that is predominantly reds, yellows, and golds. I plan not to glaze it at all.

Amon_Medinger
12-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks Kirk~ Since im not rich "yet" i'll have to stick with the alternative of not glassing it, but it's nice to know for the future that the tru-vue glass is available. ~ :rolleyes: