PDA

View Full Version : You Go Girl!!!!

Don_Chick
04-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Just so you know....

Jackie Haggerty is tearing up the out-of-state enteries here in NH... She is shaking from head to toe with the results so far...

Can't give you any more but she will share I am sure in the near future...

So far she's only about 1/2 way through the competition and we've had to give her oxygen twice...

Keith_A_Howe
04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
We know!!!! She and Jeff have been calling us all day with updates! After her third print - she couldn't even call - Jeff had to give us the news. Jeff isn't doing to bad either!
Keith

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh, this is exciting!!!! Hope they post....

Don_Chick
04-22-2007, 08:58 PM
She just got the score for her 4th print - More Oxygen!!!! 2 more to go ... I hope she makes it!!!

Jim Lersch and Mark McCall did AWSOME programs for us here too!!!

Jim_Lersch
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Jim Lersch here live from New Hampshire.....Jackie is kicking butt! This girl with only a few years of experience is learning WAY fast. I had the pleasure of doing a critique of her work this morning and am proud of Jackie, her accomplishments and also proud to call her "friend"!

Keith_A_Howe
04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Don - we are flight for life-ing a paper bag to put over her head - so she will quit hyperventelaing. The helicopter should be circling overhead any minute now.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Keith I'm glad you said it's a paper bag and not a plastic one! :)

I am so glad to hear the good news. Congratulations Jackie and Jeff!
Ron

Marc_Benjamin
04-22-2007, 10:09 PM
OMG, how exciting is this! Cant wait for the results!

Linda_Gregory
04-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Woooo! GO JACKIE!!!

Congratulations, waiting for everything to kinda calm down and hear directly from you. (Don't calm ALL the way down!)

DianeDavis
04-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Got a call!!! SO PROUD of you, Jackie!!

Way to go!

(and a little birdie told me about your 6th print score :) )

Don_Chick
04-23-2007, 12:44 AM
We just got back from dinner... Jackie was shakeing so much she couldn't eat... Oh well, the consequences of scoring so well here in NH....

Jackie_Haggerty
04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi Everyone! I have the FINAL results from the print comp today, and Marc- if you would answer your phone you would already know!

Anyway, I haven't posted the images and will soon, I wanted to wait until after the competition..... Here are the results, though.

1. You Don't Say! 81

2. Young Romeo 82

3. Women are From Venus 85

4. Secret Garden 85

5. Stowaway 85

6. Whistle Stop 90

This has been me all day.... :D I have to thank Keith and Holly for working as hard as I have with helping me with the prints, you 2 will never know how much this means to me! :)

I'll post more soon!

Keith_A_Howe
04-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Jackie - We have been stripping wall paper, patching walls and sanding all day. Your phone calls have been the highlight. We are so proud of you! Maybe we helped you a little - but you had to have stuff to work with and you were open minded to suggestions which made it a pleasure. Nobody has worked as hard as you these last few weeks.

Okay Jeff and the rest of you - we know some of it - if you guys don't spill soon, we are gonna spoil your fun and tell what we know.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
04-23-2007, 01:25 AM
and Jackie - post the prints as soon as you can okay? We know how great they looked - we want everyone else to see.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
04-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Wow congrats! Looks like we have a new print comp Queen! Man that Whistle Stop's a real strong print!

DianeDavis
04-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Jackie and Jeff--
You have set a pretty high bar!!

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-23-2007, 02:25 AM
I wanna see!!!! I wanna see!!!!

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Don_Chick
04-23-2007, 03:42 AM
Just to let you guys know....

You might think NH...how many prints do they get in that tiny state?

We had over 300 entries, I think the actual print entries totaled 326... Our biggest year ever for entries. Last year we had close to 260 and that was a big year. Our State Association membership is over 200 photographers.

Just as an aside as this thread has been about Jackie... but let me tell you...

Mr. Dachowski ROCKS too!!! Don't let the star glasses fool you!!! After you hear of Jeff's results you'll know why we in NH call him Mr. D. now!!!

Gotta go to hospitality !!

KirkDarling
04-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Talk about kicking fanny and taking names.

Way to go, Jackie.

I knew you when.

Lori_Clapp
04-23-2007, 04:24 AM
Jackie - GREAT JOB!!! I'm so happy for you! Geeze, guess I miss out when I don't sign in to IM!! I bet you are soooo excited! I knew you'd do well - but WOW - that's AWESOME!!

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-23-2007, 04:26 AM
That's awesome Jackie! I can't wait to see your images!

Paul_Finkelstein
04-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Congrats Jackie, all your success is creating much inspiration here!!
Thanks for setting an example.
Look forward to seeing the portraits!!
Big :)
P

Lois_Byrne
04-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Jackie - I'm so happy to hear about your success in NH! I love your work! Take care, Lois

D._Craig_Flory
04-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi Jackie ;

I am inspired and humbled ... W.O.W. !!! Way to go. My little dinky 80 pales by comparison.

Andrea_Chapelo
04-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Jackie,
That is amazing! You are inspiring! I can't wait to see the images. I hope you stay up on cloud nine for a LONG time you deserve it:)

StaceyDamon
04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Jackie,
GREAT NEWS and CONGRATS!! I can't wait to see the images either!! Be well!!

jeffhaynie
04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Congratulations Jackie! Quite an accomplishment and you should be proud!

MaryAnn_Talamo
04-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Wow! Congratulations, that is an amazing accomplishment...Can't wait to see the images!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-23-2007, 05:46 PM
When I saw jackie's case, I got so bummed. I did just fine, but not like Jackie. You rock!!!
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
When I saw jackie's case, I got so bummed. I did just fine, but not like Jackie. You rock!!!
Jeff

Just fine? You call 6 for 6 just fine? Man, you are hard to please! LOL!
Jeff also has neglected to tell you in the folio competition he went 3 for 4.
Keith

David_A._Lottes
04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Well I think it's time for Holly and Keith to close the studio to portrait clients and open an institute for PPA competition training. You guys are da bomb!

Way to go J&J!!!!!

Jackie_Haggerty
04-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Mark Levesque, posting from Jackie's account-

I knew she was going to hit the jackpot even before she showed me her images the night before. Talking to her, you could hear a calmness that indicated she knew it was a solid performance; she had no idea just how good it was. I was blown away, and told her so. Her improvement has been nothing short of amazing. Like my new buddy Mr Lersch, I am proud to call her friend.

Lori_Clapp
04-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Well I think it's time for Holly and Keith to close the studio to portrait clients and open an institute for PPA competition training. You guys are da bomb!

Way to go J&J!!!!!

I have to second this - all of us who have been helped by Keith and Holly have learned SO MUCH!! They need to take their act on the road and teach more people - and actually make money doing it since they won't be at their studio working!!

Keith_A_Howe
04-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Just got off the phone with Jeff and Jackie, awards banquet is just over- to say they are celebrating is an understatement!
Jeff, I better not hear anymore about "did fine".

Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
04-24-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi Everyone! I can't speak for Jeff, so I will encourage him to post soon, but as an out of state entry, I was awarded both awards I was eligible for, Out of State Court of Honor, for my print titled Whistle Stop, and 6 for 6 print case (one of 3 people in NH, which, this year, had more print entries that Rhode Island and Connecticut combined).

Whoo Hoo!!

:D

DianeDavis
04-24-2007, 03:26 AM
So proud of you I'm bustin' my buttons!!

You Rock.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-24-2007, 03:27 AM
Jackie, You ROCK!!!!!!!!
Was it worth the trip????? I'd say yeah.

Carolle and Jeff

Naomi_Angel
04-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Jackie, that is so AWESOME!!!!! I told you that you'd kick butt!!! AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!

George_Hawkins
04-24-2007, 04:42 AM
Jackie, You ROCK!!!!!!!!
Was it worth the trip????? I'd say yeah.

Carolle and Jeff

This is mood at NHPPA conference! JEFF!

Lori_Clapp
04-24-2007, 05:27 AM
What? No star Glasses??

Jackie_Haggerty
04-24-2007, 05:38 AM
What? No star Glasses?
Who said that?!! :) Just wait and see!

JohnHeckler
04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow Jackie ... really, REALLY impressive! Congrats!

Jackie_Haggerty
04-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Everyone! I wanted to share with you a bit of history as well as the images.

This is my first year of print competition, and my 3rd comp total. When I decided to start entering prints for competition, I set a very high goal, knowing that unless I set my goal really high, I wouldn't push myself hard enough. My goal is to have a 4 for 4 print case my first year of competition, which would earn Photographer of the Year at nationals in Tampa.

So, I entered my first competition with work I already had on Feb 14, which was my local Northern Illinois area, and walked away with 75, 75, 76, 76, 79 and 81. The images did not count for a merit seal, as this was only a local comp. The next month, in March, I entered the 81, reprinted and redone, as well as 3 other images to my regional, and came away with no merit seals, my prints scored 76, 77, 77, 77. At least I was consistent!!!

A while back, Jeff and Don Chick had mentioned to me that in NH this year the print comp judges were all PPA affiliate judges, even though this was a local competition, the images would be scored as closely as they would be at a regional comp, and this was my last shot to try out some images before directly submitting to nationals.

I photographed a number of seniors in the last month, and also executed an image that I have had in my head for a while, which is the one titled Stowaway. That is also the only images actually created for competition, the other 3 were HS senior spokesmodels for their portfolios.

Here is a gallery link to the images I submitted for this competition, the score is next to the title of the image.... the top 4 will be submitted to nationals in June, and, God willing, I will achieve my goal.

www.studiojphotography.net/comp/

Dan_Leary
04-24-2007, 04:55 PM
OMG Jackie... those images are wonderful. You're like a real photographer or something!;) I am in awe... thanks for sharing.

StaceyDamon
04-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Thank you for your inspiration!!! I have yet to enter in competition yet(fear of who knows what?? holds me back). I am very happy for you, the images are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

JohnHeckler
04-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey Jackie, I know this request is probably asking too much, so I certainly understand if you pass on it ... but, any chance you would be willing to post a before/after (after is already posted) the artworked versions of the images?

Naomi_Angel
04-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Jackie.....once again.....YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job! Your goal is not too far off!

Rory_Schweighart
04-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Way to go Great job.

Ron_Jackson
04-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Jackie they are all beautiful and it's clear why they scored so high.

Now that you have been on this journey. Let's back up and tell us more about your long journey to get here. Maybe it's on another thread somewhere but tell us, how long have you been a professional? what got you started? Did you learn by yourself or with classes, books or the use of a mentor? If you had a mentor, was it anyone we would know? Did you take any classes? What was your biggest turning point? What in the recent past helped you the most besides Holly and Keith helping you prep for competition?
Any other tidbits or nuggets you would like to expound upon? I am so curious and your story could inspire many others.
Thanks in advance and again, my heartiest congratulations!
Ron

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Way, way, cool. Jackie, those are simply finesse. I especially like Secret Garden...kind of funky...wonder how you did it?

Mark_Levesque
04-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Damn! I forgot to get an autograph! Could be worth money someday! :D

Super work, Jackie. You've got an excellent chance of POY, with no sealed prints. That's totally amazing.

Those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Jackie- she's soooo cool! A total hoot to hang out with. And so young. A bigtime talent in the making. She's driven, and perfecting her craft. It's inspiring.

George_Hawkins
04-25-2007, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Levesque;73829 A total hoot to hang out with. And so young. A bigtime talent in the making. She's driven, and perfecting her craft. It's inspiring.[/QUOTE]

Very nice posting: VERY imaginative! On the speaking circuit soon?

Jackie, Steve Bedell was asked to be PPA judging this summer, in FL!

George

Valerie_Harte
04-25-2007, 02:11 PM
One word- WOW

Mark_Levesque
04-26-2007, 04:14 AM
What? No star Glasses??

http://www.markspixels.com/images/nhppaConv4.jpg
Left to right: Ken Smith, Mark McCall, your humble scribe, Jackie Haggerty, Candace Pratt-Stiteler, Don Chick, Nylora Bruleigh, Jim Lersch, George Hawkins, Jeff Dachowski.

more photos to follow (in the open forum)

Marc_Benjamin
04-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Totally Groovy!

D._Craig_Flory
04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
It looks like Jim Lersch was getting in touch with his feminine side, in that image. I'm sorry to tell you Jim but Nylora looks 1000% better, in her skirt, than you do in yours. :D :p :D

Mark_McCall
04-29-2007, 07:28 PM
I kept telling Jackie that it's too bad her "Coming Out Party" come in New Hampshire, not Illinois.

Jackie is the first person I've ever met to score a ribbon bling before she had the ribbon. LOL.

Jeff & Jackie....you guys are not allow to sit at the same table anymore.
Makes the print competition look fixed.